Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2012 BMW M550d xDrive

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 12:10 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First Drive: 2012 BMW M550d xDrive

Having recently spent a day driving through Portugal in the well-executed but slightly less than inspiring BMW ActiveHybrid 5, we've now plunked our rumps into a very separate yet parallel 5 Series dimension. It's called the M550d xDrive, and instead of Portuguese hill country, we find ourselves driving over a heady combo of no-limit autobahn and essentially unmonitored idyllic two-lane Bavarian country roads. As luck would have it, the view ahead is sunny and dry.

As with any diesel phenom, the story here is not in the horsepower, which nonetheless rests at 376 between 4,000 and 4,400 rpm. You have to look at the torque curve: 546 pound-feet pounding a high-speed freight train tune between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. That twist joins hands with that rising horsepower curve and spirals (in hugely inspiring fashion) up to a scorching rendezvous at 4,500-4,600 rpm. After which point, the two forces share a smoke, rest up, maybe chat a little to kill time while the sweat dries, and then have at it again. And again. And again. Like any active and happy young couple should do.

Yes, you can calibrate the Driving Dynamics Control system to Eco Pro mode and get fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions numbers that are (somewhat) worthy of BMW's EfficientDynamics initiative, but the environmentally friendly message has been given a distinct backseat here – even by the team in Munich. The emphasis on the M550d is on the engine's revolutionary three-turbocharger scheme. This is the M Division's first-ever diesel for public sale, and the tidal wave of energy that the powerplant provides makes its 155-mph top speed governor feel like a mandatory wall for reining things in rather than like a gentle and prudent reminder.

It was clear some months ago that BMW was developing a "550" diesel-powered something with an M badge attached. Now obviously official, the newly formed M Performance Automobiles division within BMW AG is here to take regular production cars up to one hairy step just shy of a full-on M tune. Having the first cluster of factory M Performance vehicles be knockout diesels is an inspired move. And that's not just for the diesel-happy Europeans who will undoubtedly gobble them up, but also for other major markets that will only get to look on for now, such as the United States.

The F10 5 Series sedan has been criticized by some as a too-maudlin step back to normalcy, a dramatic move away from the controversial and overly taut design of its E60 predecessor. We can see their reasoning, but in a way, the F10's unassuming exterior has been an ideal blank canvas to let BMW do whatever it likes under the skin, and the basic form has also responded well whenever Munich has added more air-guidance performance bits to it. This particular 5 starts customer deliveries in Germany as of May 12. An M550d xDrive sedan – were it available in the U.S. – would start at around $71,000, by the way.

That's a lot of coin, but we had over $71,000-worth of difficulty containing our enthusiasm while talking with M Performance developers following our first top-speed strafings of the autobahns around Munich and west toward Stuttgart. Simply put, the M550d xDrive's combination of ingredients makes it, for us, the finest iteration of this 5 Series generation to date. This, despite the fact that it weighs 55 pounds more than an M5. For our money, on a larger executive premium sedan meant mostly for highway travel, nothing beats a brilliant, well boosted turbo-diesel. Those Euro execs are so lucky. Both M Performance diesel powertrain boss Nikolai Ardey and president of M Friedrich Nitschke are visibly proud of what has been accomplished with this TwinPower Turbo 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder, and with good reason.

This 3.0-liter mill, dubbed N57S ("The 'S' is for Super," says engineer Ardey), is rated at just over 125 hp per liter, making it easily the most powerful series diesel ever to rest in a BMW engine bay – or in any bay. It makes its public debut next month at the Geneva Motor Show in four models – this M550d xDrive sedan, the Touring (wagon), X5 M50d and the X6 M50d. It should be good in all four, but we figure this will be the best, just due to the physics of the sedan's comparatively lighter packaging. Ardey also hinted to us that if left unlimited, this M550d xDrive could touch 185 mph. We openly discussed with Nitschke what a great terror this engine would be in the nose of a 3 Series four-door, and all he said was that the engine could easily fit there.

This N57S gets its attitude from its new three-turbo setup. The basis in this unique arrangement is that of the standard TwinPower Turbo design – one smaller turbocharger with higher boost pressure ensures response times that please, while a larger turbocharger picks up at a point in the load range where the smaller turbo could start to max out. In the standard two-turbo TPT case, the boost action bypasses the small turbo at that stress point and defaults completely to the larger volume, lower pressure turbo for handling all higher loads.

With this three-turbo setup on the lower-revving diesels – still called TwinPower Turbo nonetheless – the original smaller turbo does not shut down and pass all duties to the big guy upstream when the forced-breathing going gets tough. Now, the second higher boost smaller turbo kicks in to help the original one and, under sporting conditions and high load, all three BorgWarner variable turbine geometry turbochargers are huffing and puffing together in what certainly feels like perfect sync. Maximum absolute boost pressure in this high demand state is a daunting 50.8 psi.
Along Germany's long, straight stretches of no-limit autobahn, our M550d xDrive sedan was held back only by the onboard ECU telling us we'd filled our dance card. This 5 Series is one of those German masterworks that never feels like it's going quite that fast. The standard, full-color heads-up display of the M diesel was dancing before we knew it between 255 and 256 km/h and there was a noticeable feeling of disappointment from the throttle pedal as the engine's computer called our bluff. The car and motor wanted so badly to effortlessly show what it could really do in an unlimited world, but as they so often do, the governor had its own agenda.

There was also one of those opportunities to test the car's top-speed braking capabilities when a delivery van blithely meandered into the fast lane. They had signaled, but it was more like a meander compared to what we were doing at warp three. Even the not-terribly-special vented compound discs pulled from the 550i parts bin – 14.7-inch diameter front with single-piston floating swing caliper, 13.6-inch rear – managed to haul back in all of our momentum, winter tires howling as if offended. Yes, we were riding on less-than-ideal 18-inch Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tires due to understandable precautions for the winter season. (In theory, these tires are limited to 150 mph, but who's counting?). Standard M550d xDrive wheels and tires are 19-inchers, but there was a trick 20-inch set on display with Dunlop SP SportMaxx GT treads – 245/35 R20 (95Y) front, 275/30 R20 (97Y). Get these on there with some big composite brake discs, and, boy, would that put us even further into debt, albeit all the better for it.

Important things like the grip of the steering wheel and feel of the shift paddles, responses of the eight-speed sport automatic transmission and war rumble of the blackened, specially designed twin-trapezoid exhaust tips all contribute to the goodness of this eminently un-diesel-like experience. Acceleration to 62 mph is quoted at 4.7 seconds – a figure which makes us laugh. A German performance testing authority publication like Sport Auto will no doubt urge a 4.5-second run or better out of this behemoth in short order.

At no point – whether at idle or under meat-hammer throttle – does the M550d xDrive sedan come across like anything but an M5 with a much better and omnipresent voice. The exhaust is created by German supplier-partner Eberspächer, and the background sound is a wondrous thing unto itself, thumping constantly up through the floor and cargo area to fill the senses. The Sport and Sport+ settings of the DDC commands throw open the bypass valves, ensuring the noise cocktail is present from take-off to v-max. At the opposite end, in Eco Pro mode and driving ever so sensibly in the flatlands, average mileage in the European cycle is said to be 37.3 miles per U.S. gallon.

BMW has smartly fitted an M-specific xDrive all-wheel-drive setup to this car as standard equipment. With all that torque and weight sloshing around, it's nice to have the surety of xDrive as a fundamental part of getting this big boy around every corner without having to peel off too much speed. Throughout our day, the M dampers provided a better-than-anticipated experience through the most demanding handling sections. There are denser suspension bushings employed, as well as additional anti-roll measures keeping things flatter and the steering crisper. Exits from the best curves are attacked nicely in spite of the 18-inch winter tires, with Performance Control's helpful brake-steer and power transfer to the outer rear wheel really playing an active role in the proceedings.

It would seem the perfect weather and driving conditions made us drunk with over-enthusiasm. Maybe a little, but our enthusiasm is warranted. The M550d xDrive simply doesn't seem to work as hard as the M5 sometimes does to make itself feel like a smaller and lighter car. It embraces its plus size to the best possible effect in order to optimally perform the way a 5 Series-sized car is meant to do every day. This BMW's innovative diesel powertrain could very well be the best answer to the packaging and performance requirements in the segment. Certainly for our lively test day, the M550d xDrive's tri-turbo six shows that it is far from a passing fad and more like the start of a beautiful relationship.

Article http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/24/2...-drive-review/

Gallery http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...e-first-drive/

All I can say is wow. 546lbs of torque out of a tri- turbo diesel I6 is inane. Its the best of both worlds, it will be very fast and still get close to 40 MPG. That's amazing.

Last edited by Justin2JZ; 02-24-12 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 12:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

it will get 40 MPG if you push it downhill... I have little doubt that average consumption will be well below 20 MPG.
Old 02-24-12, 12:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're underestimating modern diesel technology... "well below 20mpg" is undercutting it pretty severely.

That's saying that a 3.0L Diesel will get worse than a modern V8's numbers.
Old 02-24-12, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster
I think you're underestimating modern diesel technology... "well below 20mpg" is undercutting it pretty severely.

That's saying that a 3.0L Diesel will get worse than a modern V8's numbers.
i was speaking for my own European average and was probably a bit influenced by the stupid Autoblog always comparing Euro cycle to US.

But reality is - with AWD and aggressive driving, you wont get more than 20 MPG.... if you pamper it and go downhil, maybe up to 25 mpg, especially on slower speed highways and again, not using the power a lot. You will never see 40 MPG unless you push it down the hill, with engine off.

I also checked Spritmonitor.com, German site for measuring consumption, and 535d on average does 25 MPG there, thats without AWD and without extra power in this new version. And Spritmonitor shows around 30%-40% less consumption on average than my own cars in real life vs other users there.

So yes, I am sure it would get 20 mpg or less for me... which is actually really good for this kind of car (and my city cycle). But lets be realistic here, it will never get 40 MPG.

It is just like me getting 30 MPG on my GS350 AWD on long trips... but over the course of year, my average was more like 15-18 MPG tops.
Old 02-24-12, 01:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
BMW has smartly fitted an M-specific xDrive all-wheel-drive setup to this car as standard equipment. With all that torque and weight sloshing around, it's nice to have the surety of xDrive as a fundamental part of getting this big boy around every corner without having to peel off too much speed. Throughout our day, the M dampers provided a better-than-anticipated experience through the most demanding handling sections. There are denser suspension bushings employed, as well as additional anti-roll measures keeping things flatter and the steering crisper. Exits from the best curves are attacked nicely in spite of the 18-inch winter tires, with Performance Control's helpful brake-steer and power transfer to the outer rear wheel really playing an active role in the proceedings.

It would seem the perfect weather and driving conditions made us drunk with over-enthusiasm. Maybe a little, but our enthusiasm is warranted. The M550d xDrive simply doesn't seem to work as hard as the M5 sometimes does to make itself feel like a smaller and lighter car. It embraces its plus size to the best possible effect in order to optimally perform the way a 5 Series-sized car is meant to do every day. This BMW's innovative diesel powertrain could very well be the best answer to the packaging and performance requirements in the segment. Certainly for our lively test day, the M550d xDrive's tri-turbo six shows that it is far from a passing fad and more like the start of a beautiful relationship.

not sure why last 2 paras are duplicated.

anyway, this heavy turbo-diesel is interesting, but kind of stupid. might as well get an suv if you want to haul all that weight around.
Old 02-24-12, 01:59 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This thing sounds pretty good at WOT!

Old 02-24-12, 02:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

1) Whoever is marketing BMW's car names needs to be fired. Mouthfuls like that destroy potential sales because average Joe Shmoe is not a car guy and needs easy names to remember which car he saw on the road.

2) With those tiny wheels and lowered ride height, the whole thing looks like a late-90's 7-series.

3) Impressive power.
Old 02-24-12, 02:25 PM
LexFather

Funny how the 5 series hasn't been ripped to shreds by people for becoming blander, bulbous and boring with huge wheelgap and no foglights Instead the double standard "well people don't drive like that most times anyway" is used. lmfao

I agree though, for most people and everyday driving, the 5 series is freaking PERFECT. Its gone Camry on us which is fine. I've enjoyed my time behind the wheel every time even if it is softer.

Old 02-24-12, 02:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny how the 5 series hasn't been ripped to shreds by people for becoming blander, bulbous and boring with huge wheelgap and no foglights Instead the double standard "well people don't drive like that most times anyway" is used. lmfao
good points!

i personally don't think this m550d (at least as pictured) looks good. but the 535i's and 550i's i've seen on the road do, with bigger/better wheels at least.
Old 02-24-12, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good points!

i personally don't think this m550d (at least as pictured) looks good. but the 535i's and 550i's i've seen on the road do, with bigger/better wheels at least.
The sport package helps naturally. The 5 series is the class leader overall and the sales leader. We have seen it evolve from the light unorthodox luxury car with an emphasis on sport to the big, huge traditional car with an emphasis on luxury. Doesn't matter, it still is an awesome car. Whats funny is I never had an issue sitting in an E39 let alone E60 and the F10 is downright 7 series ish in size. People don't care, they buy them up in droves, bland or Bangle or perfect (E39).

BMW then has so many variations of the 5 series from tiny 4 cylinder to diesel to hybrid to V-8 to M5.The 5 series has the image and prestige and lease deals Then they have HUGE, just HUGE aftermarket support.

Its no wonder its the default choice in this class (with the E-class). that said the 5 series is a Lexus now and people need to deal with it.

Old 02-24-12, 03:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^ yes. i've been in several 5 series (although not the latest gen) and they were quiet, smooth, comfortable, very refined. i still find the e-class interior a bit nicer personally (more thoughtful luxury touches) but the 5 definitely reaks of classy competence. an M5 of course is still a pretty astounding canyon carver with a roar of power, while a lowly 520d is still surprisingly sprightly.

lexus 4GS is obviously a serious attempt to compete and in several respects it wins, but as you say, one thing it falls flat on is not enough variations or option combinations and so far looks like V6 and V6-hybrid only options. the hybrid provides a 'bit' more power/performance (in particular passing power) and quiet parking lot driving and better fuel economy for a LOT of up front money, making it a complex /limited sale / appeal. we agree no v8 is dumb although their options are limited because we know v8's don't sell that many, and they didn't want to go forced induction. maybe what they'll do is go 3.7 v6 or something next to up the ante, a la infiniti
Old 02-24-12, 04:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX_330
This thing sounds pretty good at WOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-KBPcwRlc&noredirect=1
but it has no foglights! Cost cutting!!!

:-)
Old 02-24-12, 06:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

the M550d xDrive's tri-turbo six shows that it is far from a passing fad and more like the start of a beautiful relationship
Tri turbo six is cool and all but I'll choose a V8 over it any day, fuel economy regardless.
Old 02-24-12, 07:10 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure why last 2 paras are duplicated.

anyway, this heavy turbo-diesel is interesting, but kind of stupid. might as well get an suv if you want to haul all that weight around.
Thanks for the correction I just edited it out. I'm pretty confident that it can be capable of getting over 25 MPG driving normal. It weighs 4300 lbs which is definitely pretty hefty but with the power that the I6 has, it should haul it around effortlessly.
Old 02-26-12, 12:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
but it has no foglights! Cost cutting!!!

:-)
Lol

but spwolf, even you can't deny that this tri-turbo diesel engine from BMW has a lot of substance. 740 Newton Meters of max torque is absolutely mindblowing (for a diesel engine for passenger car use.)

just saying

Last edited by Blackraven; 02-26-12 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2012 BMW M550d xDrive