Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac says 'no' to XTS-V, considers larger flagship

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 06:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Most of the big auto makers are going after a share of the market in China, not just GM
Old 05-14-12, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
The XTS is suppose to replace the DTS/STS which were larger vehicles with V8 engines. The XTS has a 3.6 V6 which puts it more on the level of Lexus ES 350, IS 350 and GS 350. So basically the Cadillac ATS, CTS and XTS are closely related on the same level. Sure, GM is thinking globally. I think the big auto manufacturers are thinking global but I'd like to see consistency, structure, focus, forward thinking, etc...
things evolve. like bmw changing the 3 coupe to the 4 series. like lexus adding CT and HS models 'below' the IS. like mercedes changing clk other models back to c / e classes, etc. sometimes simplifying or expanding product lines means they can't be entirely consistent to the past.

i have no doubt cadillac has a strategy.

and CTS is bigger than ATS and XTS is bigger than CTS, and sounds like their adding a model above XTS, so the range will go to 4 sedans. nothing wrong with that.

in the distant past they had several: cimmaron (shudder), deville, eldorado, fleetwood, etc.
Old 05-14-12, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
things evolve. like bmw changing the 3 coupe to the 4 series. like lexus adding CT and HS models 'below' the IS. like mercedes changing clk other models back to c / e classes, etc. sometimes simplifying or expanding product lines means they can't be entirely consistent to the past.

i have no doubt cadillac has a strategy.

and CTS is bigger than ATS and XTS is bigger than CTS, and sounds like their adding a model above XTS, so the range will go to 4 sedans. nothing wrong with that.

in the distant past they had several: cimmaron (shudder), deville, eldorado, fleetwood, etc.
Right you are.

The actually flagship will most likely be roughly the same size as the XTS. Similar to how the ES and GS are within 2in of each other in length, but the pricing and platforms will be very different. The XTS will a softer ride and FWD platform will be catered to baby boomers to keep them satisfied. It is after all a DTS replacement. The flagship will be RWD and will certainly go hunting 7-Series and S-Classes. A four sedan offering will be good for them I think, though the vast technology in the XTS might be a bit much for those older folks