Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

F-Sport - too sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 11:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport - too sporty?

Disclaimer: I love that Lexus is injecting some passion and sport into their new products. IS F-Sport, GS F-Sport, RX F-Sport and sports packages on the CT and LS are all wonderful additions. Huge kudos to Lexus for moving in this direction I know I'm nit-picking here, but none the less...

Despite this progress, one thing that frustrates me is how Lexus seems to "know best" and demands that if you're going to get an F-Sport model, it's going to be in specific "sporty" colors with "sporty" non-wood trim, be it aluminum or something else.

Yes, most people will choose red, white, gray or black paint on a sports package, so that's all fine and well, but I am more concerned with interior options, which brings up the age-old arguments about Lexus not allowing you to customize a car like the Germans do.

For a car like the IS, I think this type of restriction is passable, though I'd love an IS 350 F-Sport with the black wood trim. It's an entry level sport sedan...ok...maybe wood isn't that big of a deal . Now, on something like an RX or GS, I think Lexus is making a mistake, and it will continue to get worse with more expensive models.

While I'm not a huge fan of the exterior of the new GS, I really love the interior. Let's be honest - it might be the best ever mainstream interior in a Lexus. I'm also an enthusiast, so the F-Sport model would be the logical choice if I was going to purchase one. However, I've got to say that the striated aluminum trim would be enough to turn me off and make me purchase a standard GS. I've been cruising through the pics of the 2013 RX and feel much the same way: the F-Sport model looks great, but the interior is a step below the standard model.

Why? We're talking about a $50-$60K Lexus here, not a Camry SE with painted silver plastic trim to say, "I'm SO SPORTY! LOOK AT ME!". I do commend Lexus' efforts, and I get what they are trying to convey, but these consumers are, after all, buying a Lexus - cars known for beautiful, high quality interiors with a healthy dose of wood and leather. I worry that prospective buyers for F-Sport RXs and GSs will sit in a standard model and think "wow, this interior is amazing!" and then drive an F-Sport model and say, "Wow, this is a great drive!" and then walk out of the showroom when they realize that Lexus doesn't allow you to have the best of both worlds.

I do sympathsize with Lexus' decision here, but I feel like metal trim has become an over-played fad. Now, the way that some companies are integrating wood and leather together is absolutely beautiful, but just metal trim? No thanks, and for me, it's a deal breaker. I think black leather/black wood is just as sporty as black leather/aluminum trim, but far classier. The newer matte woods that Lexus is using lend a more "gentlemenly" charm than the high-gloss stuff. I'd love to see these (and others) offered as options on F-Sport cars, or, I'd at least like to see Lexus allow people to special order F-Sport cars with wood inserts vs. aluminum trim.

My main point is that Lexus seems to think that sporty explicitly means metal trim, and I don't think aluminum/metal trim is befitting of a ~$55k RX F-Sport, or $60k GS F-Sport. While Lexus is making strides in model diversification, they need to continue to think a little more outside of the box and allow customers (even) more options. Offering different options is great, offering different models is even better, but not offering different options on different models is unfortunate. Think of the rumored LS F-Sport...are they going to expect people to buy a $75K flagship luxury sedan with aluminum trim? That seems rather absurd. Black wood with metal framing accents (like we saw on the LF-Gh) would be both sporty and luxurious:

I know there are those among us who think that wood is too old-school, but you have to think about the type of buyer that Lexus typically brings into the showroom, even though we know they are trying to attract a new type of consumer with F-Sport. I worry that someone will sit in a standard GS, love the beautiful wood and leather interior, and then sit in an F-Sport model and be disappointed that you can't have the luxury trimmings of the standard model on the F-Sport. The Germans allow that type of customization, and Lexus should as well.

Maybe I'm just mad because my dream GS (fire agate pearl F-Sport with black leather/linear espresso wood, or riviere red F-Sport with black leather/matte dark brown walnut wood) is not possible

Thoughts?

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-13-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 11:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I find the F-Short option say in a IS is kind of weird.At least with the IS.
You have the IS F-Sport and no F-Sport performance parts.Just badges and seats.
Can't get the luxury pkg with the F-Sport model which for me is a must with a Lexus.
Is that how it is with other F-sport models?I don't know.

BTW,I like wood trim and absolutely hate aluminum look trim..
Old 02-13-12, 11:54 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I also hate the aluminum look on the GS F sport. I can live with what is found on the ISF but I agree black wood, like a piano finish, or even simple black birds eye maple can be very sporty and classy at the same time.

That said, the C63 debuted with only aluminum trim but I just checked the AMG website and it looks like this carbon fiber (looking?) trim is standard across the AMG line up all the way up to the S class, so not much choice there either
Old 02-13-12, 12:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

mp - great post.
Old 02-13-12, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think this will continue to be a problem for time to come. it comes down to cost, still. i still believe if lexus makes things too customizable for people, so they can pair seats with trims, etc... it's going to affect production line and thus boosting the cost of the cars which will trigger down to the sticker price.

lexus probably wants to maintain a comfortable margin from the german competitors. let's face it, that's a big factor keeping lexus in the game.

i absolutely understand what you mean by the gs fsport with the aluminum trim, that's what turned me off too. but given the segment and choices, i guess there are still some room in it for lexus to pull this off.

i mean, if anything, lexus should actually have different suspension to the gs350 fsport first compared to regular gs350 with luxury package, before getting down to trim levels
Old 02-13-12, 12:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think this will continue to be a problem for time to come. it comes down to cost, still. i still believe if lexus makes things too customizable for people, so they can pair seats with trims, etc... it's going to affect production line and thus boosting the cost of the cars which will trigger down to the sticker price.

lexus probably wants to maintain a comfortable margin from the german competitors. let's face it, that's a big factor keeping lexus in the game.

i absolutely understand what you mean by the gs fsport with the aluminum trim, that's what turned me off too. but given the segment and choices, i guess there are still some room in it for lexus to pull this off.

i mean, if anything, lexus should actually have different suspension to the gs350 fsport first compared to regular gs350 with luxury package, before getting down to trim levels
can you explain why should it have different suspension?

just so it is different or? Are you not happy with the fact that it outhandles everything else on the market?
If you said it was too hard for Luxury, I would understand that better than just the fact that you want someone to tell you it is ... different.

You know how this works right? Engineers developed suspension for F-Sport model and then marketing came in and said hey thats cool, we want this in Luxury as well. Just like what happened for instance with Prius, where they developed Euro and NA specific suspensions and then NA Marketing said - hey, we want Euro on our cars as well.

I would think that the fact that you could get Luxury with same handling performance, and wood and other amenities, is actually better for the customers, not worse. But you are paying the same for both packages, I dont know why do you think F-Sport should be definitively better. If it was GS-F that you paid 80k for, then sure.

But right now it seems like non issue. Want more agressive design, big brakes, big wheels, get F-Sport... want a sleeper with wood interior, rear HVAC and tricked out passanger comfort, get luxury, same handling, same price.
Old 02-13-12, 12:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Can't get the luxury pkg with the F-Sport model which for me is a must with a Lexus.

On the IS F-Sport, you get a new grille and bumper, unique wheels, badging, the seats, steering wheel, shifter and unique suspension, so the upgrades on the IS are more than just badges and seats, I think It's actually my favorite IS model, but I'd love to see something like black wood available instead of the aluminum trim

Originally Posted by RXSF
I also hate the aluminum look on the GS F sport. I can live with what is found on the ISF but I agree black wood, like a piano finish, or even simple black birds eye maple can be very sporty and classy at the same time.

That said, the C63 debuted with only aluminum trim but I just checked the AMG website and it looks like this carbon fiber (looking?) trim is standard across the AMG line up all the way up to the S class, so not much choice there either
Yikes...if I was looking at an S63 and the only option was carbon fiber, I'd probably be pretty bummed. Good to know, though.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mp - great post.
Thanks!
Old 02-13-12, 12:35 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree it definitely would be great if Lexus allows more customization. But if they have to do it their traditional way where they don't allow much, then i'm happy they decided to go with the striated aluminum trim for the F-Sport GS, it is by far my favorite trim and my choice out of what's available.

honestly, i very much prefer non-wood trim, whether it be on an entry level or more expensive model. So the metallic trim (like on the IS F-Sport with the light bluish/purplish hue), aluminum (the striated looks make it even better), carbon fiber (traditional or like on IS-F), black piano (no wood pattern, like what i've seen on some German brands) are my top choices by far. I guess if wood trim is the only option, then the black birds eye maple is ok for me, basically black wood trim, definitely not a fan of brown wood trim (although i have to say the matte light-brown bamboo wood trim on the new GS looks very cool, and i wouldn't mind it if that's the only option).

Originally Posted by Joeb427

it's because the F-Sport performance parts are a Lexus US/Canada thing and not from factory, that's why the F-Sport package straight from Lexus factory won't have those parts. Of course one can order a F-Sport package car in the US and then add on the F-Sport performance parts with the order and have them installed at the port.

Last edited by raptor22; 02-13-12 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
can you explain why should it have different suspension?

just so it is different or? Are you not happy with the fact that it outhandles everything else on the market?
If you said it was too hard for Luxury, I would understand that better than just the fact that you want someone to tell you it is ... different.

You know how this works right? Engineers developed suspension for F-Sport model and then marketing came in and said hey thats cool, we want this in Luxury as well. Just like what happened for instance with Prius, where they developed Euro and NA specific suspensions and then NA Marketing said - hey, we want Euro on our cars as well.

I would think that the fact that you could get Luxury with same handling performance, and wood and other amenities, is actually better for the customers, not worse. But you are paying the same for both packages, I dont know why do you think F-Sport should be definitively better. If it was GS-F that you paid 80k for, then sure.

But right now it seems like non issue. Want more agressive design, big brakes, big wheels, get F-Sport... want a sleeper with wood interior, rear HVAC and tricked out passanger comfort, get luxury, same handling, same price.
because it simply doesn't put a "fsport" that much different from a non fsport, simple as that and whether you like it or not.

if you talk about performance, fsport only benefit from bigger brakes. i don't count rear steering because that's actually still an option for fsport. the car as is out handling cars in its class, so what? does that mean it's good enough and can't be better? i surely hope lexus doesn't have that mentality.

i can care less what lexus marketing jumps in and say about things, that doesn't make things more "ok" than what it should be, at least in my eyes.

if you actually care to read my reviews, i did say the regular gs with luxury package is a better buy because you can get mark levinson and better wood trims. but the notion behind why i said that is because fsport (cough, SPORT) actually doesn't really improve that much on "sport". if they put in all the changes for ls460 sport, why they are doing it less for gs350 fsport? inconsistency
Old 02-13-12, 01:54 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know that a lot of the sportier models of European cars come with metal trim rather than wood, but include me in the group of people who would much prefer a wood trimmed interior to a metal trimmed one.
Old 02-13-12, 02:16 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by RXSF

\

I hate the silver \ aluminum look on all cars, make it stop already! Give me the option for blackwood, wood grain or something else, just not the silver crap!
Old 02-13-12, 02:33 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Pardon my ignorance as I haven't followed the interiors in too much detail, but are the wood/aluminum/CF more than just trim parts that can pop on and off? That is to say, have they been integrated in a way that it would be just economically unfeasible to have a perspective buyer select a car, select a trim, and have that new trim put on the car by the next day?
Old 02-13-12, 02:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Allen K
Pardon my ignorance as I haven't followed the interiors in too much detail, but are the wood/aluminum/CF more than just trim parts that can pop on and off? That is to say, have they been integrated in a way that it would be just economically unfeasible to have a perspective buyer select a car, select a trim, and have that new trim put on the car by the next day?
i don't know about 4gs, but for example on the 3gs, the wood trims on the door is a complete pain to remove, and some parts are also glued on i believe and not just "screws" and "clips"
Old 02-13-12, 03:46 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The trim on the IS can be replaced but it is very expensive. Looking on Sewell right now here's what you're looking to spend AFTER the Club Lexus discount. A dealership will probably try to squeeze another 1-2 grand out of it:

Trim - Annodized Aluminum: $3230.94
Trim - White Birds Eye Maple: $1848.21
Trim Kit - Wood (California Walnut): $2297.18

The F-Sport trim is this one I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Trim - Gunmetal Gray Trim Kit: $391.20
Old 02-13-12, 04:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

Yup, you nailed it

This is how Lexus or all Japanese brands of cars in general keep their MSRP down from the Europeans.

Japanese works on a combo meal, bundled packages system to keep the cost down in the production line, it only comes in a few pre-determined packages, take it or leave it. The Europeans works on the A La Carte system, you can have it anyway you want it, but is gonna cost you.

MPLexus301, don't complain unless you want to spend BMW/Benz money on your Lexus

This is a big reason on why comparably equipped fully loaded Lexus is usually $10k~$20k cheaper then comparably equipped fully loaded Benz or BMW. They all come with the same features and equipments, the difference is on the Europeans, you can pick and choose every items individually. Every item is $1000 and there are 10~20 options.

This apply to just about everything in life, mass produced pre-determined stuff with no options are cheaper. Fully customizable custom tailored to you are very expensive.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-13-12 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: F-Sport - too sporty?