Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review, driving impression of Scion iQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 10:28 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Review, driving impression of Scion iQ

I was bored so I test drove an iQ.

After hearing so many horrible reviews on the Smart Fortwo, my expectation for the iQ is very low. I have never driven a Smart Fortwo, but I sat in a few and they are VERY cramp inside, felt tiny, feels like a golf cart with doors.

On this iQ, WOW, this thing is very impressive for what it is.

In a nut shell when I am driving it, it never feels like it is a very tiny city car, everything basically feels just like a Corolla, now that is saying a lot. From how it handle, ride quality, engine power, response, interior space, comfort...............everything feels just like a Corolla, until you turn your head and look at that tiny space behind you. Speaking of that, I am not a tiny guy, I actually fit in the back seat........with the front seat moved half way up of course, I fit in the back without any discomfort. For a short period of time of course, I won't want to sit back there for longer then one hour.

Power is surprisingly good, now I know how slow I actually drive now, an iQ feels fast enough for me.........haha. I was up to 80 mph just like that, it never struggle to get up to speed with normal traffic. The CVT feels fine too, it is programmed to operate in steps to mimic the feel of a traditional tranny with gears, it doesn't have much of that motor boating nauseating sensation that some CVT in some econoboxes provide. The motor is loud as expected in this level of cars, but again it is not obnoxious like in the Honda Fit.

The most impressive part is the cabin feels "normal size", it is due to it being very wide, you never feels like being in a tiny city car, as opposite to the Smart feeling like a golf cart. The ergonomics and material is good too, again the same as a Corolla.

The turning radius though, is comical.............that feels like a golf cart

That's it, the only draw back is, with it being feels like a big car, it come with a big car price. $16k base, nicely equipped like the one I drove with alloy wheels and NAV, spoiler, fogs, floormats..........is $19k. So it is the same price as a Corolla, you can almost get a base Camry for that price.

The more I think about it, this iQ is basically a Corolla chopped in half.

Good job Toyota, you once again embarrassed German engineering in a huge way (Smart Fortwo).

Last edited by BNR34; 02-13-12 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks again, BNR34. I already replied to the same-posting you made in my iQ static-review.
Old 02-13-12, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

nice review, thanks!
Old 02-13-12, 12:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

You are welcome guy, I like to share what I saw and felt
Old 02-13-12, 12:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

seems like you copied what I wrote before... did you drive the car at all? :-))))
j/k...

... yep, thats what it is.. it is premium small car. I read review in Autocar, between iQ and VW Up, and they were surprised how much better iQ is, it is simply premium small car, not built to the price.

They honestly should have spent $1k more in interior and called it a Lexus, and it would sell better everywhere. Now in Europe, in my country, iQ is 2x the price of Aygo, and Aygo is bigger car. So average customer does not understand why.
Old 02-13-12, 12:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
.. yep, thats what it is.. it is premium small car. I read review in Autocar, between iQ and VW Up, and they were surprised how much better iQ is, it is simply premium small car, not built to the price.
It is built to the price, the iQ is expensive for how small it is. It is the same price as the much bigger and much more powerful Corolla.
Old 02-13-12, 02:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I live in a big city with tight parkings, I would seriously consider an IQ. But here in Vegas, it doesn't make sense to buy any tiny cars. I have yet to see one on the street.
Old 02-13-12, 03:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
If I live in a big city with tight parkings, I would seriously consider an IQ. But here in Vegas, it doesn't make sense to buy any tiny cars. I have yet to see one on the street.
My thoughts exactly, these tiny cars only make sense in city with tiny parking spaces.

In Vegas, where a Hummer H1 don't look very big, tiny city car is pointless.

Is stupid too, the iQ is the same price as a Corolla, why would anyone want a smaller car if it cost the same with similar MPG?

Last edited by BNR34; 02-13-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
It is built to the price, the iQ is expensive for how small it is. It is the same price as the much bigger and much more powerful Corolla.
well kind of... iQ is built in Japan, and much smaller quantities.... well equipped Up costs same money.
Old 02-13-12, 03:56 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you just used a different screen name and shared my test drive experience this weekend. Did you drive it at all? J/k x2.

I too test drove this amazing 4 seat sports car and was utterly impressed, and frankly a little confused, by it. The low end pick up speed, agility, and interior space of this car would play trick on your mind.

Scion IQ's visual field was tall and ample, the car got top of class mpg, go kart handling, plenty of amenities: mirror turning signal, aux/usb/ blue tooth hands free-- all for under 16K.

Front passenger seat had a nook and therefore more room to slide the seat, allowing greater access to the back. Loved the orange lit accent and the darth vader media hub. The only draw back for me was the lack of driver side arm rest, but it's done with the obvious reason to inflate interior space.

There was a roid up 5-axis aero and rim package ($20k) that looked totally awesome. This could've easily been that red lil sports car that I was looking for.
Old 02-14-12, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice review BNR, pretty visual

However in so cal being the land of single-driver suvs, impatient a-holes, ladies putting on makeup, guys shaving while driving, and people who are constantly on the phone making executive life and death decisions on their cell phone, there is no way I'm getting these miniature death trap
Old 02-14-12, 10:14 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

However in so cal being the land of single-driver suvs, impatient a-holes, ladies putting on makeup, guys shaving while driving, and people who are constantly on the phone making executive life and death decisions on their cell phone, there is no way I'm getting these miniature death trap
Then there are idiot like me that watches MTV like this on my NAV screen, how can I take my eyes off that?

http://youtu.be/TLOepyJnRv4

The iQ got 11 airbags though, like the i-robot car.
Old 02-14-12, 10:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

iQ is very safe btw, more airbags than any other Toyota/Lexus :-)
Old 02-14-12, 10:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

BNR - did you read how many parts of iQ are unique to iQ? One of the reasons it is expensive is that most of the mechanicals were specially developed and cant be shared with other cars... it is bespoke, as brits would say.
Old 02-14-12, 11:27 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
BNR - did you read how many parts of iQ are unique to iQ? One of the reasons it is expensive is that most of the mechanicals were specially developed and cant be shared with other cars... it is bespoke, as brits would say.
I don't know the details of the iQ, but I can imagine most parts are unique as it is tiny. I heard the CVT is from the Prius. It got a 1.3L inline 4, I don't think any other USDM Toyota use an engine that small, the Yaris is a 1.5L right? But it could be from some JDM tiny car they got over there.

I was looking at the front brake rotor, it is hilariously small, looks like is from a go-kart.

Quick Reply: Review, driving impression of Scion iQ