Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review, driving impression of Scion iQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 11:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I understand that and I am not saying he is wrong. It is a different types of CVT but is still a CVT. He was saying the eCVT is not a CVT at all, so I was just asking him if Toyota call it a CVT, is he going to call it a different name because it is not a cone and belt? Then he is going to explain to everyone why he doesn't call it a CVT when Toyota does?

Is like all the latest automated manual tranny on the market now, they don't have a torque converter, but we all still call it a auto tranny because it is in fact automatic in operation. That how people understand it.
there are probably more similarities with DSG and AT than CVT and PSD :-).

This is why Nextourer when tested it, didnt like it, compared to Prius "CVT", they dont feel anything alike.
Old 02-18-12, 11:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
He's telling the truth though. It's not the same CVT as the one in the Prius. Technically, Toyota labels it as an eCVT (the Power Split Device that is). The Prius uses a planetary gearset CVT. The iQ uses a cone & belt.

I drove the iQ and mimic your impressions. It feels more normal than the smart. The headlights were good and reasonably powerful and yes the turning radius was phenomenal.

However, after driving a Prius for 7 years, I didn't like this CVT. It has the same rubberbanding effect that other people have said about CVTs. I drove the B200 (had it as a courtesy car when my smart fortwo was in for repair, ha!) and it had the same rubberbanding effect but to a much, much lesser degree.

I found that leaving the iQ in "S" was a little better but then the transmission leaves the engine running at 2,000rpm rather than idle which makes for a little noiser ride.
there is huge difference between PSD and CVT, not in technology only, but in driving feel.
Because Prius has large electric motor integrated into PSD, when you press gas pedal, you get instant acceleration... with CVT, when you press gas pedal, engine goes to predetermined high output state, like 5400rpm, and for a while, except for constant noise, nothing happens :-). It is strange and annoying.

This is why I was always perplexed how journalists always complained of "CVT" in Hybrids, when it is really not similar experience at all.
Old 02-18-12, 06:21 PM
Dr. Yellow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want a cygnet
Old 02-19-12, 10:46 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is huge difference between PSD and CVT, not in technology only, but in driving feel.
Because Prius has large electric motor integrated into PSD, when you press gas pedal, you get instant acceleration... with CVT, when you press gas pedal, engine goes to predetermined high output state, like 5400rpm, and for a while, except for constant noise, nothing happens :-). It is strange and annoying.

This is why I was always perplexed how journalists always complained of "CVT" in Hybrids, when it is really not similar experience at all.
I agree, the driving experience is different. It's a lot smoother with the PSD because as the engine rpm dips, the battery kicks in to fill in (and vice versa).

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I got to test-drive an IQ yesterday, at the same dealership where I reviewed the xB (I had already done an iQ static-review. I found the power-level quite low, the CVT transmission with annoying motorboating/rubber-banding characteristics, the handling quite good with minimal of body-roll, the wind-noise well-controlled, and the steering very quick. The ride was grainy/choppy on rough surfaces, there was some small fore/aft pitching from the short wheelbase, a fair amount of road-noise, and the brakes were OK.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I've been with the Prius since 2005 and even I found the iQ's CVT to be annoying lol. Nissan and MB do traditional cone & belt CVTs much better than Toyota.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I'm at a loss as to why the IQ and Smart aren't available with manual transmissions in this country. Half the fun of driving a small car is rowing through the gears to keep the engine spinning at the top of its torque curve.
Probably cost?? They have to certify the transmission (fuel economy testing among other things) and there probably won't be enough sales to justify the extra cost.

For the smart, there isn't a manual option elsewhere (so to speak). It's the same transmission with or without an automated software component to allow an automatic mode. It's a manual transmission when it comes down to the nuts and bolts. They just need to find a better software code to employ better shift characteristics. For me, I found that the shifts in automatic mode smoothed out after 1,600kms but I still prefer to shift manually as I can lift off the pedal slightly to minimise (or if I time it right, completely) remove the rocking motion.