Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review, driving impression of Scion iQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 04:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't know the details of the iQ, but I can imagine most parts are unique as it is tiny. I heard the CVT is from the Prius. It got a 1.3L inline 4, I don't think any other USDM Toyota use an engine that small, the Yaris is a 1.5L right? But it could be from some JDM tiny car they got over there.

I was looking at the front brake rotor, it is hilariously small, looks like is from a go-kart.
nah, cvt is standard, (prius doesnt have cvt at all), and 1.33l engine is standard/shared.

here you go:

Toyota is especially proud of the six engineering innovations it utilized to maximized interior space in the iQ in addition to the long wheelbase of nearly 79 inches, which minimizes overhangs but maximizes the space between the wheels. The first includes a newly developed compact differential, alone said to be responsible for over 100mm of added length in the cabin in comparison to the B-segment Toyota Yaris. The rest includes rear-angled shocks and a flat fuel tank under the seats, a smaller heater / air conditioner unit that’s just as efficient, a center take-off steering column, an asymmetrical dashboard as well as slimmer seats claimed to contribute about 1.5 inches in length to the interior. Despite its small size, the iQ received a 5-star safety rating in Euro NCAP testing.
Old 02-14-12, 04:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
nah, cvt is standard, (prius doesnt have cvt at all),
All electric hybrids produce by Toyota Motor Company is running on CVT, from the Prius C to the LS600hL

Old 02-14-12, 09:34 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great review! my girlfriend's mom has a smart fortwo and that car is just horrible, from the harsh shifting transmission to the the cheap interior, the whole car just feels cheap, not like a german car at all.
I actually got a chance to drive the iQ at work when they delivered them to the dealer. The inside is suprising big and roomy, we were actually able to fit 4 people in the car, ranging anywhere from 5'2' to 5'6' with room to spare.

Overall those the car just feels really solid, but for $16k starting, i think most people would be looking into corollas or even yaris
Old 02-14-12, 10:26 PM
LexFather

nah, cvt is standard, (prius doesnt have cvt at all), and 1.33l engine is standard/shared.

here you go:

Thanks...I read that in EVO a long time ago so glad to see it again.

Old 02-15-12, 09:19 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mikeyy
great review! my girlfriend's mom has a smart fortwo and that car is just horrible, from the harsh shifting transmission to the the cheap interior, the whole car just feels cheap, not like a german car at all.
I actually got a chance to drive the iQ at work when they delivered them to the dealer. The inside is suprising big and roomy, we were actually able to fit 4 people in the car, ranging anywhere from 5'2' to 5'6' with room to spare.

Overall those the car just feels really solid, but for $16k starting, i think most people would be looking into corollas or even yaris
Thanks for your concurrence
Old 02-15-12, 10:02 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review But how many people who don't live in the city who choose this over the larger, similarly priced Corolla?
Old 02-15-12, 10:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

All electric hybrids produce by Toyota Motor Company is running on CVT, from the Prius C to the LS600hL

and every car has 4 tires so they are all the same :-).

Toyota HSD uses PowerSplitDevice (PSD) that behaves similar to CVT but is not your classic CVT at all. It is actually a lot simpler than CVT, and integrates two electric motors inside.

Toyota S-CVT (Super CVT), is belt and cone cvt transmission with steel ribbed belt.

They are as different as MT and AT transmissions. But "CVT" is a lot easier to explain than the actual difference.
Old 02-15-12, 10:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review But how many people who don't live in the city who choose this over the larger, similarly priced Corolla?
All the folks who love novelty, unique, out of the ordinary stuff. They buy it because it is different, not because it fit their needs.

That's why Smart sold a bunch of cars in the 1st year, now their sales volume is zero.
Old 02-15-12, 10:27 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota HSD uses PowerSplitDevice (PSD) that behaves similar to CVT but is not your classic CVT at all. It is actually a lot simpler than CVT, and integrates two electric motors inside.

Toyota S-CVT (Super CVT), is belt and cone cvt transmission with steel ribbed belt.

They are as different as MT and AT transmissions. But "CVT" is a lot easier to explain than the actual difference.
You are the master of nitpicking, BRAVO!!

So do you give it a different name on every similar thing in life?

So when Toyota call it a CVT, you would give it a different name just because it is a hair different then other CVT?

Last edited by BNR34; 02-15-12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 01:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

So when you talk to people, what do you call the tranny on the Prius or CT200, HS250......etc?

You call it HSD, PSD, then you actually explain to people what they means? ..............oh it is actually not your typical CVT, it is this that and this? And everyone you talk to is like huh

That's why Toyota call it CVT so people understand it. And like you said, it behaves similar to CVT, that's what most people care like myself. Thanks though, now I know why the CVT on the Prius don't feels like a typical CVT.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-15-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 04:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are the master of nitpicking, BRAVO!!

So do you give it a different name on every similar thing in life?

So when Toyota call it a CVT, you would give it a different name just because it is a hair different then other CVT?
He's telling the truth though. It's not the same CVT as the one in the Prius. Technically, Toyota labels it as an eCVT (the Power Split Device that is). The Prius uses a planetary gearset CVT. The iQ uses a cone & belt.

I drove the iQ and mimic your impressions. It feels more normal than the smart. The headlights were good and reasonably powerful and yes the turning radius was phenomenal.

However, after driving a Prius for 7 years, I didn't like this CVT. It has the same rubberbanding effect that other people have said about CVTs. I drove the B200 (had it as a courtesy car when my smart fortwo was in for repair, ha!) and it had the same rubberbanding effect but to a much, much lesser degree.

I found that leaving the iQ in "S" was a little better but then the transmission leaves the engine running at 2,000rpm rather than idle which makes for a little noiser ride.
Old 02-15-12, 06:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
He's telling the truth though. It's not the same CVT as the one in the Prius. Technically, Toyota labels it as an eCVT (the Power Split Device that is). The Prius uses a planetary gearset CVT. The iQ uses a cone & belt.
I understand that and I am not saying he is wrong. It is a different types of CVT but is still a CVT. He was saying the eCVT is not a CVT at all, so I was just asking him if Toyota call it a CVT, is he going to call it a different name because it is not a cone and belt? Then he is going to explain to everyone why he doesn't call it a CVT when Toyota does?

Is like all the latest automated manual tranny on the market now, they don't have a torque converter, but we all still call it a auto tranny because it is in fact automatic in operation. That how people understand it.
Old 02-17-12, 09:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that and I am not saying he is wrong. It is a different types of CVT but is still a CVT. He was saying the eCVT is not a CVT at all, so I was just asking him if Toyota call it a CVT, is he going to call it a different name because it is not a cone and belt? Then he is going to explain to everyone why he doesn't call it a CVT when Toyota does?

Is like all the latest automated manual tranny on the market now, they don't have a torque converter, but we all still call it a auto tranny because it is in fact automatic in operation. That how people understand it.
I see.

Yeah I'm not too happy with the way the media spins the transmission labels. There's a difference between two cars with paddle shifters if one's a semi-automatic and the other is an automated manual. <sigh>. But I guess paddle shifters are all the rage (and marketing wants it). Although I must admit, it was pretty much (and useful) on the smart fortwo for smoothing out gear changes.
Old 02-18-12, 10:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I got to test-drive an IQ yesterday, at the same dealership where I reviewed the xB (I had already done an iQ static-review. I found the power-level quite low, the CVT transmission with annoying motorboating/rubber-banding characteristics, the handling quite good with minimal of body-roll, the wind-noise well-controlled, and the steering very quick. The ride was grainy/choppy on rough surfaces, there was some small fore/aft pitching from the short wheelbase, a fair amount of road-noise, and the brakes were OK.
Old 02-18-12, 11:34 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm at a loss as to why the IQ and Smart aren't available with manual transmissions in this country. Half the fun of driving a small car is rowing through the gears to keep the engine spinning at the top of its torque curve.

Quick Reply: Review, driving impression of Scion iQ