Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevrolet Cruze station wagon unveiled ahead of Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 02:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Chevrolet Cruze station wagon unveiled ahead of Geneva

Chevrolet Cruze station wagon unveiled ahead of Geneva

This is the new Chevy Cruze station wagon, which will debut at next month's Geneva Motor Show and then arrive in European showrooms this summer. At 184 inches, it's longer than both the Cruze sedan and hatchback (by three and seven inches, respectively).

Inside, there's 17.6 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats up, and up to 52.9 cubic feet with the seats folded. Drivers will get to choose from a range of gasoline (1.6, 1.8, and 1.4T) and diesel (1.7 and 2.0) powertrains, and the long-roof Cruze arrives with Chevy MyLink available.

Australians will get a Holden-badged version, but as for us? Sorry, guys. Don't expect anything in the near future. Chevrolet spokesman Michael Albano says, "No plans on bringing the wagon to US at this point. But we'll continue to evaluate market as needed."

World premiere for Chevrolet Cruze station wagon

• Station wagon is the third variant of world's favorite Chevrolet
• New engine line-up includes sporty turbo and frugal diesel
• Refined design and new technologies
• MyLink: cutting edge smartphone infotainment system

The Chevrolet Cruze station wagon is all set for its global premiere at the 82nd International Geneva Motor Show early next month. The station wagon, the latest bodystyle of Chevrolet's most popular nameplate, complements the sedan and hatchback versions, which together have combined sales in excess of one million vehicles globally since the carline was launched in 2009.

"The Cruze station wagon caters to an important market segment. It ticks all the boxes for European drivers in terms of distinctive design, dynamic driving, space and economy," said Chevrolet Europe President and Managing Director Susan Docherty.

The new station wagon features generous storage space and a choice of powerful and efficient engines as well as the state-of-the-art Chevrolet MyLink onboard infotainment system.

The new and improved engines will be available on the entire Cruze line-up starting summer 2012. In addition to the current 1.6L and 1.8L gasoline engines, a new 1.4L turbo gasoline, a new 1.7L diesel and an improved 2.0L diesel engine complete the powertrain offer.

The 1.4L gasoline, 1.7L diesel and 2.0L diesel engines come with start-stop technology as standard. All engines are Euro 5-compliant.

The station wagon, at 4,675 mm, is slightly longer than the hatchback (4,510 mm) and sedan (4,597 mm) models. Load space ranges from 500 liters up to the window line in the rear to nearly 1,500 liters up to the roof top with the rear seats folded down.

Refined design and new technologies

The station wagon is immediately recognizable as a new variant of the best-selling Chevrolet Cruze. The exterior design features a tapering single arch roofline and comes with roof racks as standard, providing convenience while maintaining a poised and sporty look.

A number of exterior and interior styling changes are being introduced in 2012 for all Cruze models. These include a remodeled front fascia, modified head-lamp interiors and fog lamps, and new wheel styles on the exterior and refinements to the center console and a greater choice of seat finishes for the interior.

New Cruzes are equipped with keyless entry, allowing access the vehicle with the key safely tucked away in a bag or pocket. Additionally, the system allows the engine to be turned on or off by pressing a button without the need to insert the key into the ignition.

A brand-new Chevrolet infotainment system, called MyLink, is being introduced in higher trim levels in the Cruze line-up and in the Chevrolet Aveo as of summer 2012. It brings owners' smartphone capabilities into the vehicle.

MyLink aggregates content from the smartphone onto the seven-inch diagonal high-resolution full-color touch-screen display. Once the smartphone is connected, personal playlists, photo galleries, phone books, videos and other stored media and data, such as a special navigation app, can be accessed though the infotainment system touch-screen.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/09/c...ead-of-geneva/
Old 02-09-12, 06:59 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks very stylish! The Caprice/Roadmaster were the last wagons from the General in the US, right? This could give the Jetta a run for its money here.
Old 02-09-12, 07:18 PM
LexFather

I find the Cruze sedan and now this to be good looking.

Old 02-09-12, 09:16 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No love for the retarded taillight. Looks ugly that way.
Old 02-10-12, 12:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cino
The rear? The rear looks stunning. It look as good (or even better) than the sedan and definitely looks way better than the hatchback. It definitely has the inspiration from Opel.

Hence, I can't see why you'd think the rear end of this wagon looks retarded
Old 02-10-12, 02:23 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The rear? The rear looks stunning. It look as good (or even better) than the sedan and definitely looks way better than the hatchback. It definitely has the inspiration from Opel.

Hence, I can't see why you'd think the rear end of this wagon looks retarded
Look closely to the clear parts of the taillight on both sides. Do you see how retarded it is?
Old 02-10-12, 02:31 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks pretty good, i'm sure this will sell pretty decently!
Old 02-10-12, 08:30 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too shabby. I like the look of the sloping rear glass, but it sure seems to cut into potential cargo space.

Americans don't seem to have much love for wagons anymore... they all want SUVs (not me!)
Old 02-10-12, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Americans don't seem to have much love for wagons anymore... they all want SUVs (not me!)
The Outback, here in America, sells like discount-beer on Friday nights, and it is much more of a traditional wagon than an SUV. In fact, that is one of the reasons WHY it sells. Other Subaru hatchback/wagons also sell well here.

It also sells because Subaru actually offers it here. I'm a firm believer that you can't sell what you don't offer. And, lately, Americans have been buying more hatchbacks and wagons....when the manufacturers offer them.

I personally think a Cruze wagon would have a significant market here. It's a nice, well-done compact, very popular here as a sedan, and, if anything, the wagon offers more versatility.
Old 02-10-12, 10:00 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Great looking wagon!
Old 02-10-12, 10:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i don't recall a positive comment from you about anything
Old 02-10-12, 02:55 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't recall a positive comment from you about anything
It needs to be done right for me to give a positive comment. I'm too picky about little things.
I didn't say the body is ugly, I said no love for taillight.
Old 02-10-12, 06:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow...if they offered it here, I would consider it! Have to be a diesel though, 60mpg ftw.
Old 02-11-12, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Wow...if they offered it here, I would consider it! Have to be a diesel though, 60mpg ftw.
Problem is, Josh, that it would probably be easier to get the wagon body-style here than the diesel itself. Non-German manufacturers seem to be loath to introducing American-market diesels here, even with the low-sulfur diesel-fuel we now have.
Old 02-11-12, 10:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Look closely to the clear parts of the taillight on both sides. Do you see how retarded it is?
Are you referring to the reverse lights (why the left is red and the right is color white)???

If so, then let me clarify. The red one called is a REAR FOG LIGHT. In any European Union territory, all automobiles must have at least one rear fog light (and must be positioned either in the driver's side area or in the center-line or median).

Don't worry. If they bring this in America or elsewhere, you can be sure that it will come with two reverse lights............but if it ever comes with an asymmetric arrangement, then you can switch or replace the rear fog lamp with white-color a reverse lamp at your local Chevy dealer

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Cruze station wagon unveiled ahead of Geneva