Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus has the most rattles & squeaks of any luxury brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-07, 09:42 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lexus has the most rattles & squeaks of any luxury brand?

When i search google:
lexus rattle
mercedes rattle
bmw rattle

lexus turns up with the greatest number of hits.

it seems like lexus has the most issues when it comes to rattles and squeaks. why?!@!@
Doesn't toyota know how to build a car properly?
Old 01-02-07, 09:44 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're an idiot--

Infiniti has the most for luxury cars-- Then lexus
Old 01-02-07, 09:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Googling isn't the best way to reserach for these kinds of things.
Old 01-02-07, 09:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

infiniti is a luxury brand?
Old 01-02-07, 10:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
When i search google:
lexus rattle
mercedes rattle
bmw rattle

lexus turns up with the greatest number of hits.

it seems like lexus has the most issues when it comes to rattles and squeaks. why?!@!@
Doesn't toyota know how to build a car properly?
Oh man, I just listened to your google video clips. my IS350 sounds just like that in the morning now sometimes, I had to stop and pop the hood to see if everything is still intact. I am dead serious guys. I am feeling your pain. And Lexus ignores the problem.

And talks about rattles, I had my car in service for at least 4 times and they still couldnt fix it.

to be honest, I love this car but these things are making me not enjoy my car to the fullest.
Old 01-03-07, 06:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lucky rattles are the only thing you have to worry about on a care like this, friends friend 06 Benz ML350 has been to the shop about 6 times (all electronics, shocked?) within a 2 month period

I have a rattle near where the seatbelt mount on the pillar near my ear, only showed up during the cold season, I plan to get it checked out on my 5k service, for now Mark Levinson will soothe my ears
Old 01-03-07, 07:19 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

mine just truned 180k and 14 years old, and the only rattle is my own fault in the drivers door, where I lost a couple screws in the midbass baffle... Other than that, my car is squeak and rattle free...

have ya'll ever driven a BMW with 60-70k miles on it? Talk about rattle and squeakbox... Actually, any luxury car with a few more miles on it... Problem is, Lexus may in the end have more squeaks because the cars are just downright driven more... Lots of people with BMW's are scared as hell to drive their cars past the 50k warranty mark... On top of that, people have so many problems with their mercedes and bmw's that they rarely make it to 100k, whereas Lexus' commonly have 200-300k before removed from service... Think of just one more thing... How many Lexus' are on the road in comparison to BMW / Mercedes...
Old 01-03-07, 07:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

FWIW, I've had my ES 350 for nearly 8 months - No rattles or any strange sounds. And that's after driving over all of the pot holes here in IL. They're getting worse every day.
Old 01-03-07, 08:05 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran that search for fun and lexus came in 3rd. And if you add in benz............
Old 01-03-07, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The newest Lexus products seem to vary quite a bit in how well they are made. I have reviewed several of the new Lexus regular passenger cars.

The LS460 and GS300 AWD are both superb, from a build-quality and fit-and-finish point of view. The IS250 AWD has nice fit-and-finish and generally good build quality but is noticeably less solid than the old IS300, especially in interior hardware. The ES350, IMO, is a disappointment....cheaper-quality interior materials and poorer fit-and-finish throughout.

It is also worth noting that newer Lexus models, aside from just the interior components, are more LIKELY to develop squeaks and rattles than their predecessors, even if they in fact do not do so, from the fact that suspensions and tires on the new ones are generally stiffer than the outgoing models, and jolt the car's frames more. This was done in an obvious effort to make the models more " sporting, " which is FINE for cars like the IS250/350, which competes with the BMW 3-series, but was TOTALLY out of place on the ES350 which is not SUPPOSED to be a sports sedan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-07 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-03-07, 08:16 AM
rai
Lead Lap

This is not a great way to find out who has the most of anything.

Lexus is the top selling luxury nameplate in the country and has been for a while. Lexus will probably have more of most things you search for.
Old 01-03-07, 08:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a confession. My passenger side front shock lost fluid a few months back, but you know something, I don't hear a creak or anything that sounds like screwing on a bed with bad springs. Occasionally, I will have a few suspension issues and sounds that I talk about in the RX300 forum along with where to look and how to to fix it. I find that generally after I give the RX a good wash, no issues.

Yet, keep in mind, that Lexus is considered the tops in quality, but I would rather have people compained about rattles than other electrical, mechanical, etc. issues that people have with other brands.
Old 01-03-07, 08:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default This is interesting...

If you type BMW breakdowns and Mercedes breakdowns, you'll find more hits than Lexus breakdowns...
Old 01-03-07, 08:59 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Hey Cody. Surprised to see you here. Anyways hope LV is treating you right.

I know a guy that autoxed a older 325ci I believe the model was, with the four headlights and fogs under the bumper. Anyways, he has over 160k on it with no major problems. I autoxed that car and also drove it for a short period, it felt as solid as any car with those miles on it. I think its more of the way if you take good care of the car, it will take care of you situation.

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
mine just truned 180k and 14 years old, and the only rattle is my own fault in the drivers door, where I lost a couple screws in the midbass baffle... Other than that, my car is squeak and rattle free...

have ya'll ever driven a BMW with 60-70k miles on it? Talk about rattle and squeakbox... Actually, any luxury car with a few more miles on it... Problem is, Lexus may in the end have more squeaks because the cars are just downright driven more... Lots of people with BMW's are scared as hell to drive their cars past the 50k warranty mark... On top of that, people have so many problems with their mercedes and bmw's that they rarely make it to 100k, whereas Lexus' commonly have 200-300k before removed from service... Think of just one more thing... How many Lexus' are on the road in comparison to BMW / Mercedes...
Old 01-03-07, 09:15 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Hey Cody. Surprised to see you here. Anyways hope LV is treating you right.

I know a guy that autoxed a older 325ci I believe the model was, with the four headlights and fogs under the bumper. Anyways, he has over 160k on it with no major problems. I autoxed that car and also drove it for a short period, it felt as solid as any car with those miles on it. I think its more of the way if you take good care of the car, it will take care of you situation.

+1 Some folks on this board need a better story. If someone complains about a Lexus rattle or tranny, someone else first shouts out thank god it is not BMW or MB. Why must they deflect from the issue at hand rather than cast misguided stones? Lexus are great cars but the class of some of the owners is quite low.

Quick Reply: lexus has the most rattles & squeaks of any luxury brand?