Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are British Cars More/Less Reliable Than German Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 05:51 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are British Cars More/Less Reliable Than German Cars?

Hey guys

I don't really know much about British cars, and I'm just curious on your thoughts on them.

Are Jaguars more or less reliable than a Mercedes or a BMW, or are they about the same?
Old 02-02-12, 05:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are no British cars.
Old 02-02-12, 06:10 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Really? Isn't Jaguar a british car? I thought I read somewhere that it is.

Jaguar Cars Ltd, known simply as Jaguar ( /ˈdʒæɡjuː.ər/ jag-ew-ər), is a British luxury car manufacturer, headquartered in Whitley, Coventry, England. It is part of the Jaguar Land Rover business,[2] a subsidiary of the Indian company Tata Motors.

Source: Wikipedia, lol.

Ok, if Jaguar isn't British, what is it than?
Old 02-02-12, 06:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Really? Isn't Jaguar a british car? I thought I read somewhere that it is.

Jaguar Cars Ltd, known simply as Jaguar ( /ˈdʒæɡjuː.ər/ jag-ew-ər), is a British luxury car manufacturer, headquartered in Whitley, Coventry, England. It is part of the Jaguar Land Rover business,[2] a subsidiary of the Indian company Tata Motors.

Source: Wikipedia, lol.

Ok, if Jaguar isn't British, what is it than?
It's kinda like saying Toyota is Japanese, or Ford is American. Any more, it is hard to put a real definition, aside from stating where the manufacturers headquarters are... In this case, it is even more diluted, as Jaguar has been bought and sold a few times by not-so-British companies.

As far as reliability, Jaguar's most reliable years, were, sadly, when they were owned by Ford and shared some chassis and engine configurations with some Ford vehicles... Before Ford purchased Jaguar, they were absolutely terrible in terms of reliability. I would think reliability has come up some since then, but it is hard to say, as there just aren't many on the road to start...
Old 02-02-12, 06:19 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't think it's fair to compare company versus company. Even within companies there is huge disparity in reliability.

Once you drill down to per model and per option (permutation and variations) you just do a stat 101 test, you could start by classifying 'reliability' a little more objectively. Rate in points or something what counts against 'being reliable'

Ultimately if you could get information from every person who has owned all cars ever made you could get exact ranking of reliability with no debate, probably easier to random sample VIN#'s, I know Top Gear used to ask people to mail in comments
Old 02-02-12, 06:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Indian? Why dont you look at reliability surveys... since they sell in small numbers, surveys are probably your best bet.
Old 02-02-12, 06:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

but historically, Jaguar, LR, MG were all known for their **** poor reliability :-).
Old 02-02-12, 06:26 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
It's kinda like saying Toyota is Japanese, or Ford is American. Any more, it is hard to put a real definition, aside from stating where the manufacturers headquarters are... In this case, it is even more diluted, as Jaguar has been bought and sold a few times by not-so-British companies.

As far as reliability, Jaguar's most reliable years, were, sadly, when they were owned by Ford and shared some chassis and engine configurations with some Ford vehicles... Before Ford purchased Jaguar, they were absolutely terrible in terms of reliability. I would think reliability has come up some since then, but it is hard to say, as there just aren't many on the road to start...
I wasn't thinking that far back. I'm talking about an '09-'11 Jaguar XF compared to a Benz E-Class or a BMW 5 Series around the same year.

I was looking at consumer guide auto.com, and when looking at the reviews for a used Jaguar XF, it scored 65/100, for comparison sake, a used Lexus LS scored 74/100, Benz E-Class scored 71/100, and the BMW 5 series scored 63/100.

Even though the reviews are for used cars within the past 5 years or so, I want to know if it'll be a smart choice to keep for about 3-5 years, or if it's gonna give you a lot of problems?
Old 02-02-12, 06:27 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
but historically, Jaguar, LR, MG were all known for their **** poor reliability :-).
Even an 09-11 Jag XF? What's MG?
Old 02-02-12, 06:43 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

I used to have a supercharged MGA, ran with guys who had Triumphs, Jags, Morgans, Austin Healys. We used to joke about the reliability of the electrical system. "LUCAS, PRINCE OF DARKNESS!" One night I left a bar and pulled my headlight switch. The guts of the switch came out in my hand. My chum would be driving down the freeway and all lights would suddenly go out. Jags are so beautiful, but even the computers were a huge issue. The Ford bought Jaguar, and there has been a steady improvement in reliability.
Old 02-02-12, 08:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Hey guys

I don't really know much about British cars, and I'm just curious on your thoughts on them.

Are Jaguars more or less reliable than a Mercedes or a BMW, or are they about the same?
your question is far too vague, as different models and even model years from the same manufacturer can vary hugely.

jaguars in times past have not proven competitively reliable, but they're apparently a lot better these days, but then you've already done research on consumer guide so i'm not sure why're asking ??
Old 02-02-12, 08:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

yes, English cars are less reliable than German cars on the whole
Old 02-02-12, 08:50 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even an 09-11 Jag XF? What's MG?
The fact you don't know or have seen many MG on the road is a testament to their reliability MG is no long around btw.
Old 02-02-12, 09:20 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucas Electrics were so bad that they should have been packaged up in survival kits to start fires with.

"Okay Survivors, the immunity challenge today is to build a fire"

"No problem Jeff, I brought my Lucas Ignition system from an old Jaguar car"

I know two people who had Jags in the late 70's and early 80's whose XJ whatervers went up in flames in the middle of the night in the driveway for no reason at all.

They switched to Bosch, all was better, then they went back. Why?
Old 02-02-12, 09:21 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MG was bought by the Chinese.

Anyways, I do wanna hear comments on newer Jaguar vehicles like the XF or even the new XJ (X351).

Quick Reply: Are British Cars More/Less Reliable Than German Cars?