Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 09:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts
Default My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

For those interested in this comparison, see:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...omparison.html

Thanks!
Old 01-11-15, 12:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

outstanding review my friend. Suddenly my reviews seem lacking hah
Old 01-11-15, 12:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks Hoovey. I aimed to be detailed, objective, and as clear in the presentation of the information as possible otherwise who wants to read one huge mass of dry info?
Old 01-11-15, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Great write-up, Corrado. Looks like you killed two birds with one stone on this one. Excellent detail.

The NX200t I recently reviewed seemed to lack the excellent ride/handling combination yours had, as it was not equipped with the Adaptive Suspension option. But still, it was a reasonably good chassis. (still, it sounds like the extra money you spent on the F-Sport package, for your purposes, was a good move)

The NX can be put in Reverse smoothly even while it's still moving slightly forward.
That might be true, but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it.

I agree with almost all of your conclusions between the two........though, instead of a tie, I'd probably give the RX somewhat of the nod in the NVH department. I found the last RX V6 I drove to have a silky-smooth and quiet drivetrain...almost to LS standards. However, as a 3-time RX owner, you certainly have plenty of experience with them, and I respect that.
Old 01-11-15, 08:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Great write-up, Corrado. Looks like you killed two birds with one stone on this one. Excellent detail.

The NX200t I recently reviewed seemed to lack the excellent ride/handling combination yours had, as it was not equipped with the Adaptive Suspension option. But still, it was a reasonably good chassis. (still, it sounds like the extra money you spent on the F-Sport package, for your purposes, was a good move)

That might be true, but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it.

I agree with almost all of your conclusions between the two........though, instead of a tie, I'd probably give the RX somewhat of the nod in the NVH department. I found the last RX V6 I drove to have a silky-smooth and quiet drivetrain...almost to LS standards. However, as a 3-time RX owner, you certainly have plenty of experience with them, and I respect that.

Thanks MM.

I have not driven the non-AVS F-Sport or even the standard NX at this time, but compared to the RX F-Sport especially in sub-freezing weather, my AVS-equipped NX has a notably smoother ride over bumps. I'm the most surprised and impressed by this fact alone as I expected a choppier ride especially since I was familiar with the latest RAV4. My dad owns it I can can confirm, the NX rides/drives much better than the RAV4 (hence the price premium).

The RX had zero margin of error when switching into reverse (it had to be 100% fully stopped) whereas most cars I've driven including the IS and now NX, allow a smooth reverse engagement even if you're not fully stopped but just barely moving.

NVH is tricky in particular road/tire noise since tire brand, remaining tread life, tire pressure, road surface, and road/tire temperature all play a role. The most accurate way to compare two vehicles is under the same conditions and with a dB meter which of course I haven't done. The main perceptible difference between the two is wind noise where it is better muted on the RX while the NX's 4 operated a little more quietly.
Old 01-12-15, 10:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome writeup. The NX seems like a Mazda CX-7 inspired vehicle

NVH is definitely tricky. In my experience, there is always noise, but there is noise that gives you feedback and then there is noise that simply annoys you, and they both maybe at the same dB, but different sound profile. Talking about sound profiles, I have often been tricked into thinking a new vehicle having better NVH because I have grown accustomed to my current vehicle, know and expect certain annoying noises to define NVH. The newer vehicle exhibits a very different profile and it takes time, generally over few days of driving over various road surfaces to actually figure out the noise profile and come up with a fair comparison between the new and the old.
Old 01-12-15, 12:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by chikoo
Awesome writeup. The NX seems like a Mazda CX-7 inspired vehicle

NVH is definitely tricky. In my experience, there is always noise, but there is noise that gives you feedback and then there is noise that simply annoys you, and they both maybe at the same dB, but different sound profile. Talking about sound profiles, I have often been tricked into thinking a new vehicle having better NVH because I have grown accustomed to my current vehicle, know and expect certain annoying noises to define NVH. The newer vehicle exhibits a very different profile and it takes time, generally over few days of driving over various road surfaces to actually figure out the noise profile and come up with a fair comparison between the new and the old.

Agree on the sound profiles. I also have found that the newer vehicle also has the edge thanks to new tires versus generally older worn out tires that normally become louder with age.
Old 01-12-15, 01:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
very good analysis.