Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exotic Cars in Hong Kong

Old 01-31-12, 09:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yes if you look at the entire population of cars in HK, the exotic ratio is very high.

It makes perfect sense though, as a car is not a life necessities in HK, no one needs a car to get around. Actually it is much faster and easier to get around by subway then by a car. So people only buy a car for recreational purposes or to show off in, they don't drive it daily, combine with the 100% vehicle tax, so only rich folks owns a car. So if only rich folks buys a car for fun or to show off, of course they would mostly be exotics
haha, thing is, those people have to be REALLY rich in order to afford exotics in hk. it's not even the kind of rich some people expect here. not to mention if they can afford exotics, first of all imagine how much they paid for their residence
Old 01-31-12, 09:08 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then again, if you bought RE in the early 2000s in HK, you can afford any exotics now with how much HK RE has rebounded
Old 01-31-12, 09:52 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang it Henry, you're making me want to go to HK again. Still gotta pick up the money from the government too...
Old 01-31-12, 10:02 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people who live in Hong Kong are really rich people. Not just barley rich but REALLY RICH! Most are business people and it's expensive to live there and these cars are much more expensive than what the USA pays for them.

I would never move to Hong Kong unless I was in the high millions. That's why Hong Kong rather be separate from China.
Old 01-31-12, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mikez
Then again, if you bought RE in the early 2000s in HK, you can afford any exotics now with how much HK RE has rebounded
hahaa no kidding. you could have gotten a bathroom in 2000 and now it's worth more than a house here...

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Dang it Henry, you're making me want to go to HK again. Still gotta pick up the money from the government too...
oh you from hong kong too?! dude i had no idea! i need to get myself ready to collect my money too!!!!! you submitted the form and pick up in person?

Originally Posted by js619858
Most people who live in Hong Kong are really rich people. Not just barley rich but REALLY RICH! Most are business people and it's expensive to live there and these cars are much more expensive than what the USA pays for them.

I would never move to Hong Kong unless I was in the high millions. That's why Hong Kong rather be separate from China.
hahaha actually, apparently people from china are far richer, considering the way they spend money in hong kong
Old 02-01-12, 02:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HKSAR government still gives out HK$6000 to its citizens???

Anyways
What BNR34 said makes sense in that in the case of Hong Kong, cars are not an absolute necessity given the coverage of MTR subway as well as the abundance of buses and taxicabs (Red = Urban Areas ; Green = New Territories ; Blue = Lantau island)

P.S.
Meanwhile, just next door to HK is............Macau

MOP550 per hour or per trip (depending on usage)
http://www.grandlisboa.com/en/transp...ion/index.html
Old 02-01-12, 09:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Can't agree with that at all, there is a relatively small group of REALLY rich people, but the poor and the working class still constitute the VAST majority of HK's population ...
Old 02-01-12, 09:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaa no kidding. you could have gotten a bathroom in 2000 and now it's worth more than a house here...

oh you from hong kong too?! dude i had no idea! i need to get myself ready to collect my money too!!!!! you submitted the form and pick up in person?
If you still have a HK bank account, they can just credit your account, you don't have to go back at all ...
Old 02-01-12, 10:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
If you still have a HK bank account, they can just credit your account, you don't have to go back at all ...
the messed up stupid part? it can't be a joint account of any kind. it can only be accounts under your name, and only your name.
Old 02-01-12, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Can't agree with that at all, there is a relatively small group of REALLY rich people, but the poor and the working class still constitute the VAST majority of HK's population ...
very true. in fact i think majority of the people in hong kong are still just very so-so
Old 02-01-12, 12:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

haha, thing is, those people have to be REALLY rich in order to afford exotics in hk. it's not even the kind of rich some people expect here.
Yes not CL rich, is more like F-chat, luxury4play rich

not to mention if they can afford exotics, first of all imagine how much they paid for their residence
millions and millions for a tiny apartment
Old 02-01-12, 12:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

What Gojirra99 said is correct. The VAST majority of HK's population are actually very poor, a GREAT paying job that is very tough to get for a college graduate is $2k USD a month. And most people don't have a college degree. A lot of people get the misconception of HK is full of rich people due to the tons of exotic running around on the street and very fancy hotels and shopping malls that are own by the top 2% of HK's population.
Old 02-01-12, 12:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

very true. in fact i think majority of the people in hong kong are still just very so-so
not just so-so, they are down right poor.
Old 02-01-12, 12:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

ballers! love the rollin shots in the first post
Old 02-01-12, 12:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Anyways
What BNR34 said makes sense in that in the case of Hong Kong, cars are not an absolute necessity given the coverage of MTR subway as well as the abundance of buses and taxicabs (Red = Urban Areas ; Green = New Territories ; Blue = Lantau island
Cars are absolutely not necessary, actually it is much more inconvenient to drive your own car in HK then to take public transportation due to the heavy traffic jam and no place to park.

Owning a car in HK is like owning a yacht in the rest of the world, is solely just for fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exotic Cars in Hong Kong