Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Gen Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 08:41 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I think you just presented us the spindle grille'd CT F-sport that will probably arrive next year.
I figured. I initially tried to compare the CT F-sport package with it and felt there was a slight difference. That seems rather deceitful they would display the still very new CT among the set of updated models, rather than the next gen IS. In that case the display had the 2013/2014 CT, 2014 LS, 2013 ES, 2013 RX, 2013 GS, and the 2013 LX. The IS is still in secret it looks like or I must be missing something else.
Old 03-18-12, 10:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

whatever they do I just hope it actually a back seat that can be used my more than just infants and quadriplegics .
Old 03-18-12, 10:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
whatever they do I just hope it actually a back seat that can be used my more than just infants and quadriplegics .
That's what the GS & ES are for
Old 03-19-12, 06:23 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Well yes and no since the S60, A4, 3-series, C-class and G37 all have much better rear seat room.
Old 03-19-12, 07:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
agreed, I don't want a huge car
Old 03-19-12, 08:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

few inches at the back would be helpful for sure, just like what they did with GS - better utilization of already existing space but with front seats still being kingly.
Old 03-19-12, 09:39 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

so no one has heard about any new Lexus engine gossip for the new IS? I truly hope its not a carryover like the GS. Wasnt something like Valvmatic (or similar name) on the horizon from Toyota?
Old 03-19-12, 10:08 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think both the new IS and the 4GS will have the carry-over engines, and possibly newer engines at mid-cycle refresh. Seems what's most liekly to happen
Old 03-19-12, 10:17 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
i think both the new IS and the 4GS will have the carry-over engines, and possibly newer engines at mid-cycle refresh. Seems what's most liekly to happen
Bummer, oh well. The V6 in the wifes IS350 is nice dont get me wrong The 8spd tranny would be nice on launch then add the new motors mid cycle.
Old 03-19-12, 11:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
so no one has heard about any new Lexus engine gossip for the new IS? I truly hope its not a carryover like the GS. Wasnt something like Valvmatic (or similar name) on the horizon from Toyota?
since GS just came out and it has "old" 2.5l and 3.5l engines, with some tweaks to make them more efficient and nicer transmissions, i doubt that ES and IS coming out within next 12 months will have anything new.

It might be like when 3.5l was introduced to GS350, it was only one full year on the market.
Old 03-19-12, 01:14 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I think the 3.5L is still competitive. They just need to rework on it for a little more power and fuel efficient. The 2.5L is the engine that seriously needs to be replaced.
Old 03-19-12, 05:03 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Well yes and no since the S60, A4, 3-series, C-class and G37 all have much better rear seat room.
my friend's g37 sedan the back seats were no better than mine
Old 07-04-12, 09:11 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

New 2014 Lexus IS Rumors from Australia
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/07/0...rom-australia/
The Age in Australia has some new rumours regarding the next-generation Lexus IS:

Due to be unveiled next year, the third-generation IS compact sedan is likely to follow in the footsteps of its bigger sibling, the GS, by delivering a richer, more upmarket look in the cabin and improved road manners.

Unlike its German rivals, the IS’s exterior will be more than just a shrunken version of its bigger brother, according to a Lexus insider. Distinguishing features over its ageing predecessor include a wider, more aggressive stance, a sleeker profile and the most radical iteration of the company’s new spindle grille to date, as our artist’s rendering shows.

The corporate marketing manager at Lexus Australia, Peter Evans, recently told Drive the Japanese luxury brand couldn’t afford a gentle evolution of its popular IS midsize sedan.

“When you’re a challenger brand and you’re No.4 [in sales], you can’t afford to be evolutionary.”

Also included is some drivetrain details, with specific mention of a four-cylinder, V6, and hybrid option. A next-gen IS F is also expected.

There is one rather large nugget of speculation worth highlighting:

Media speculation says the Japanese luxury brand’s smallest sedan could be based on a modified version of Toyota’s 86 sports car – not the GS – allowing Toyota to spread the development costs between the two models. This may also pave the way for a sporty coupe body variant, alongside a coupe-cabriolet and possibly even a sleek wagon or four-door coupe.

I suppose anything’s possible, but modifying the 86 platform to accommodate a luxury sedan would likely negate any “development costs” savings — more likely, the IS will continue to be based on the GS.

Please note — the above image is a rendering created by The Age, and is not the next-generation IS.
Old 07-04-12, 09:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Pretty cool rendering. Other than its bubble roof, I'd smash that.

Not the first time Ive heard of the Ft86 chassis rumor, but is it really possible? I mean it seems like a hell of a lot of modification to make it work. I strongly believe that they may find a better balance using a modified GS platform.
Old 07-04-12, 09:32 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Not the first time Ive heard of the Ft86 chassis rumor, but is it really possible? I mean it seems like a hell of a lot of modification to make it work. I strongly believe that they may find a better balance using a modified GS platform.
I agree. The FT-86 platform was designed for a Flat-4 engine. A lot of modification would likely need to be done to allow it carry an Inline-4 and V6 engines. The different engine configuration (vertical rather than horizontal) would throw out the handling advantages of the Subaru Flat-4 engine.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus IS