Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to fix Toyota's duds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 08:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to fix Toyota's duds...

ToMoCo has it's hits and misses. Currently, the Scion xD, Toyota Land Cruiser, and Lexus HS are relative duds in terms of sales, as well as lacking the type of innovation and passion that its parallel competitors have.

And although the Corolla and Camry sell very well, they need to gain more edge in today's highly competitive market.

So, I came to thinking about how to make each Scion/Toyota/Lexus model better, but without raising cost. It's an engineering feat that haunts any company at any given day.

But I also wanted to get some insight (and some laughs ) at some of your suggestions. I will call people out if they want a 400 hp Camry, a Corolla that gets 60mpg, or the Lexus LS to be cheaper than a Hyundai Equus.

Please, these should be realistic suggestions, not concepts and claims made by Acura.

DISCUSS
Old 01-23-12, 08:59 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Switch their nav systems to Android and encourage community efforts to make apps and expand on the traditional notion of 'in car computer'
Old 01-23-12, 09:22 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... the Land Cruiser is only a "dud" in sales here in North America. It's quite successful abroad. The LX570, which has a better profit margin, has better sales here in the States, so I'm sure ToMoCo is fine with that.
Old 01-23-12, 10:07 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's wrong with a 400hp FWD Camry?
.... LOL jk

As far as making improvements, all the improvements I can think of would require at least a small increase in costs. I'm gonna have to think about this one throughout the day and see what I can think of
Old 01-23-12, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

- 6-speed auto/manual across the Scion/Toyota line-ups, 8-speed for all Lexus
- AWD on Camry, ES350, Avalon
- Updated Navi (pixel, resolution, BTA, use while vehicle is in motion)
- Axe the FJ Cruiser (already have "Venza", Rav4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, LC)

I may add more to this list at a later time
Old 01-23-12, 12:06 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
- 6-speed auto/manual across the Scion/Toyota line-ups, 8-speed for all Lexus
- AWD on Camry, ES350, Avalon
- Updated Navi (pixel, resolution, BTA, use while vehicle is in motion)
- Axe the FJ Cruiser (already have "Venza", Rav4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, LC)

I may add more to this list at a later time
I agree with awd everything, but kill the FJ? Good job on making Toyota the most boring company in the world!
Old 01-23-12, 12:23 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They need the FJ, axe the xD and the HS if anything! lol
Old 01-23-12, 12:28 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Toyota needs to do is test out their ideas on the internet before they release anything. Show us what you're going to build before you build it and you'll know whether it will sell.

Look at how that worked for the Mustang and Camero. Of course the final product can't be too different from the concept. Kazashi fail, anyone?

There is no need for focus groups. Car companies don't need to do things in secrecy like Apple does. Car companies can give customer early concept drawings and they'll know right away how people will respond. It's such a gamble to so much R&D into a car and get slammed by the public. See how people responded to the Honda Crosstour? Surprising the public is a bad move IMHO.
Old 01-23-12, 01:06 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

1-please make the steering wheel little thicker. people who have driven any german car will know what I am talking about - Lexus Toyota wheels feel like my kids power wheel
2-decrease fender gap between wheels fender - more aggressive stance would not hurt
Old 01-23-12, 01:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by vraa
I agree with awd everything, but kill the FJ? Good job on making Toyota the most boring company in the world!
Originally Posted by KillaIS250
They need the FJ, axe the xD and the HS if anything! lol
Why? the FJ is cheap and crude. Toyota's SUV line-up is bloated as is. The Venza, Rav4, and Highlander all offer civil and more practical rides whereas the 4Runner, Sequoia, LC offer that off-loading prowess. Sure its homage to the classic FJ40, but the on road noise, bad visibility, and sloppy ride make it impractical and unnecessary. Not to mention the tight rear seats and it still uses a 5-speed auto (6-speed manual still available).
Old 01-23-12, 01:23 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UZ214
1-please make the steering wheel little thicker. people who have driven any german car will know what I am talking about - Lexus Toyota wheels feel like my kids power wheel
2-decrease fender gap between wheels fender - more aggressive stance would not hurt
#1 is being taken care of as we speak. Check out the new CT and you'll find it has a thicker steering wheel than an ISX50. The 2013 GS should have a larger one as well

agreed on #2
Old 01-23-12, 01:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
Agree! Decrease fender gap on All Scion, Toyota, Lexus cars, The big gap and weak stance is a big turn off! And fixing this shouldn't increase any cost.
Old 01-23-12, 02:04 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why? the FJ is cheap and crude. Toyota's SUV line-up is bloated as is. The Venza, Rav4, and Highlander all offer civil and more practical rides whereas the 4Runner, Sequoia, LC offer that off-loading prowess. Sure its homage to the classic FJ40, but the on road noise, bad visibility, and sloppy ride make it impractical and unnecessary. Not to mention the tight rear seats and it still uses a 5-speed auto (6-speed manual still available).
In that case the Wrangler shouldn't be a sales success.
In fact its one of the few Toyotas I like
Old 01-23-12, 02:39 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a trip to the Midwest. They love them here.
Old 01-23-12, 02:54 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the Camry hybrid system put it in the HS, or make it slow and get the same MPG as a Prius, the way it is now is Civic hybrid laughable in terms of hybrid efficiency

The xD needs to go back to the original Scion philosophy, quick model change over, doesn't need to use an all new platform, but its style needs to be changed over quicker

Quick Reply: How to fix Toyota's duds...