Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to fix Toyota's duds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 02:57 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
What Toyota needs to do is test out their ideas on the internet before they release anything. Show us what you're going to build before you build it and you'll know whether it will sell.

Look at how that worked for the Mustang and Camero. Of course the final product can't be too different from the concept. Kazashi fail, anyone?

There is no need for focus groups. Car companies don't need to do things in secrecy like Apple does. Car companies can give customer early concept drawings and they'll know right away how people will respond. It's such a gamble to so much R&D into a car and get slammed by the public. See how people responded to the Honda Crosstour? Surprising the public is a bad move IMHO.
The Internet car forum crowd and the typical person purchasing a vehicle are two different people. If all they only listened to the Internet the Camry would've been dead a long time ago
Old 01-23-12, 03:36 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Agree! Decrease fender gap on All Scion, Toyota, Lexus cars, The big gap and weak stance is a big turn off! And fixing this shouldn't increase any cost.
I agree with this. When I was younger, I thought all Lexus' were boring and ugly because the cars sat so high and had such a goofy stance. It's amazing how nice they all can look with just a smaller fender gap and better looking wheels.
Old 01-23-12, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
ToMoCo has it's hits and misses. Currently, the Scion xD, Toyota Land Cruiser, and Lexus HS are relative duds in terms of sales, as well as lacking the type of innovation and passion that its parallel competitors have.

And although the Corolla and Camry sell very well, they need to gain more edge in today's highly competitive market.

So, I came to thinking about how to make each Scion/Toyota/Lexus model better, but without raising cost. It's an engineering feat that haunts any company at any given day.

But I also wanted to get some insight (and some laughs ) at some of your suggestions. I will call people out if they want a 400 hp Camry, a Corolla that gets 60mpg, or the Lexus LS to be cheaper than a Hyundai Equus.

Please, these should be realistic suggestions, not concepts and claims made by Acura.

DISCUSS
I don't know too much about the Land Cruiser, but with Toyota having not one but TWO body on frame full size SUVs, either the Land Cruiser or Sequoia have to go. You just cannot have both in the marketplace and I from what I understand, a fully loaded Sequoia has more features and creature comforts than the Land Cruiser. Makes no sense to have both.

As for the HS, more MPG, it is that simple.

Don't know anything about the Scion.
Old 01-23-12, 04:07 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't know too much about the Land Cruiser, but with Toyota having not one but TWO body on frame full size SUVs, either the Land Cruiser or Sequoia have to go. You just cannot have both in the marketplace and I from what I understand, a fully loaded Sequoia has more features and creature comforts than the Land Cruiser. Makes no sense to have both.

As for the HS, more MPG, it is that simple.

Don't know anything about the Scion.
The LC is over lapping in price with the LX, my x-gf worked for the finance department of a chain dealer who had a Toyota and Lexus dealer, and the same people buying LC step up for whatever reason and buy an LX, the LC needs a 15-20k drop in price, the LC needs to be at most 45-50k if we are gonna have the LX, the Sequoia should be done away with, to big and pricey, among other things
Old 01-23-12, 04:09 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Take the Camry hybrid system put it in the HS, or make it slow and get the same MPG as a Prius, the way it is now is Civic hybrid laughable in terms of hybrid efficiency

The xD needs to go back to the original Scion philosophy, quick model change over, doesn't need to use an all new platform, but its style needs to be changed over quicker
The system from the HS is from the Camry.
Old 01-23-12, 04:12 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Land Cruiser is a GLOBAL vehicle platform, and will not be going away any time soon.

Sequoia is based on the Tundra and development is incremental on the full-size pick up, in other words, not that much cost to get increased sales and margins with the SUV. America has shown it still loves its full size body on frame SUV's and so Toyota can continue to provide an offering with minimal effort.
Old 01-23-12, 04:18 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX_330
The system from the HS is from the Camry.
It's from the older Camry Hybrid... not the new updated one.
Old 01-23-12, 04:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
In that case the Wrangler shouldn't be a sales success.
In fact its one of the few Toyotas I like
The Wrangler was never meant to be civil but rather capable (2012 improvements made it more comfortable, efficient) but you don't necessary see Wranglers in suburbia like you do FJs. The wrangler doesn't pretend to be an urban cruiser.
Old 01-23-12, 05:24 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Wrangler was never meant to be civil but rather capable (2012 improvements made it more comfortable, efficient) but you don't necessary see Wranglers in suburbia like you do FJs. The wrangler doesn't pretend to be an urban cruiser.
Actually, since the introduction of the 4 door Wrangler, I see them all over suburbia....
Old 01-23-12, 09:47 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FJ cruiser has always been a "fun" SUV to have. Enthusiasts of the FJ seem to find them great for off-roading. The FJ was built for that specialized market of people that want an SUV that is more capable off-road then it is on road without breaking the bank. It also has the Toyota reliability many people value, don't forget! A lot of the people i've seen that have them take them off-road more than they do on road. I would love to have one in my garage to beat on with some good off-roading!

The road noise and a "bad" ride don't really matter to those that run the car off-road mostly
Old 01-24-12, 08:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ Amen!

The FJ is the only vehicle in the Toyota lineup that is a legitimate off-roader. Land Cruiser, Forerunner, Sequoia and Highlander with their Lexus cousins are largely compromises. Keep the FJ for the same reason Chrysler keeps the Wrangler . . . it may not be pretty, it may not be much of a highway ride, but its undeniable fun out where the pavement ends.
Old 01-24-12, 08:35 AM
cfrost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
They need the FJ, axe the xD and the HS if anything! lol
I'm also a fan of the FJ (I own one... I better be!) - but for a big reason because it has a cool factor that a lot of Toyotas don't have anymore.

When a brand goes out on a limb and makes a "cool" car, I think it does a lot more for them and their image even if it's not selling in big numbers.

Like the Supra in the 90s for example: Didn't outsell the Corolla or Camry, but I'm sure it helped out Toyota's image in the performance category. It helps make them cool again.

--wishful enthusiast thinking
Old 01-24-12, 08:44 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In these days of SOPA, phrases like "Toyota's duds" will be replaced with "Toyota's latent successes." We must avoid thoughtcrime.
Old 01-24-12, 11:48 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

- Axe the HS, should have been an ES hybrid in the first place.
- IS needs a better base engine and a better manual tranny. Which also should be available on the 350 if even a cost option.
-V8 GS please?
- Take the LC out of the US lineup. The LX will more than cover it, the price difference isn't that big and the Sequoia platinum can more than bridge the gap. If it's a pride thing about the nameplate, have a sequoia LC edition or whatever. The Sequoia built in the US for the US on the Tundra platform with the presence of the LX makes more sense than having the LC anyway.
- Replace FJ with 2 door 4 Runner Trail edition. Effectively cut SUV lineup from 6 to 4.
- Seriously, 6AT across the Toyota lineup. The economy of scale will work things out.
- Axe the xD. Always seemed redundant with the intro of the 5 door Yaris in the US. Trim a Yaris spec to compensate.
- Give Scion a Kei-truck.
- Tighten up the driving dynamics of the tC. Can't have the veloster and mini showing it up. Needs to be a worthwhile companion to the FR-S
- Make the xB what it was the first time around again.
- Make the Scion RS cars worthwhile again and not just a funky paint job.

wishful thinking
-can we haz MR2 and Supra back please?
Old 01-25-12, 04:59 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MR_F1
- Axe the HS, should have been an ES hybrid in the first place.
- IS needs a better base engine and a better manual tranny. Which also should be available on the 350 if even a cost option.
-V8 GS please?
- Take the LC out of the US lineup. The LX will more than cover it, the price difference isn't that big and the Sequoia platinum can more than bridge the gap. If it's a pride thing about the nameplate, have a sequoia LC edition or whatever. The Sequoia built in the US for the US on the Tundra platform with the presence of the LX makes more sense than having the LC anyway.
- Replace FJ with 2 door 4 Runner Trail edition. Effectively cut SUV lineup from 6 to 4.
- Seriously, 6AT across the Toyota lineup. The economy of scale will work things out.
- Axe the xD. Always seemed redundant with the intro of the 5 door Yaris in the US. Trim a Yaris spec to compensate.
- Give Scion a Kei-truck.
- Tighten up the driving dynamics of the tC. Can't have the veloster and mini showing it up. Needs to be a worthwhile companion to the FR-S
- Make the xB what it was the first time around again.
- Make the Scion RS cars worthwhile again and not just a funky paint job.

wishful thinking
-can we haz MR2 and Supra back please?
I think I agree with this whole list except for the FJ killing part. The FJ is the only fun/cool part of the lineup.

Quick Reply: How to fix Toyota's duds...