Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Theft protection service?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-12, 04:23 PM
ihboy75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft protection service?!?!

My wife and I just purchased our first Lexus, a beautiful Pearl White 2007 RX350. We purchased it from a local Lexus dealer. Everything went wonderful, until we got home and noticed a 299.00 charge for Lexus theft protection. I know it's not that big of a deal, but we were never once informed of this service, or asked if we wanted it. It seems to me to be one of those deals that they try to get you to purchase as an extended service. The crazy thing is, they never tried pushing anything on us at all, as far as extended warranties and such. They told us up front that the price only included a 150 process fee, and tax. I am okay with that, but not okay with an extra 300 charge without informing me of what it involves. When we called, the salesman told us it was a service that pays us 5000 if our car get stolen. Isn't that what insurance is for, lol?!?! Oh well, was just curious if anyone else knows of this service........And I know, we should have looked over the agreement before signing (was a little on the excited side ). It's just the principle behind it. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-12, 04:39 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never heard of it Did you purchase the car at a Lexus dealer? and is the charge explained in your buyer agreement too? I'd double check, if it's not, fight the charge.
Old 01-20-12, 04:39 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Never heard of such a thing. Certainly not standard with any of my previous Lexi. I'd suggest trying to get your money back. Good luck. ...in any case, welcome to the Lexus family and forum.
Old 01-20-12, 04:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

never heard of anything like that before on any of my cars.
Old 01-20-12, 05:08 PM
ihboy75
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it was an actual Lexus dealership......They seemed to have good ratings when checking online. They also have a Toyota dealership that my parents have bought a half dozen vehicles from, and always been very satisfied.......My wife is bound to get it resolved, lol. This is "her" vehicle, and is going to call the manager tomorrow. It would have been totally different if it had been "offered" in my opinion. Just wanted to ask some other Lexus owners if they knew of charge.........Part of the reason I purchased from a Lexus dealer is that I assumed a no BS transaction, lol.
Old 01-20-12, 06:07 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a common dealer add-on with lots of profit. (Probably about a $20 glass etching kit.) It should have been on the sticker addendum or clearly spelled out on the sales agreement. I notice that dealers are finding more creative ways of packaging these profit pigs, with the finance manager giving you a choice of like 8 payments, each of which has some combination of these. On a recent deal, I pushed it all back and had to firmly ask the finance manager to present me just the car with NO ADD-ONS.

I would go back to the dealership with the car and all your paperwork and have a calm discussion with the sales manager or owner. Granted, you should have noticed it on the paperwork before signing. However, most finance managers spend about 80% of their time with you selling and 20% printing the paperwork and hustling you through the signing. I would at least want some free oil changes or accessories as compensation.

I agree with you that a Lexus dealer should be above this level of slime. They should be aware that you will be getting a number of surveys that Lexus takes seriously.
Old 01-20-12, 06:31 PM
ihboy75
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I totally agree....They "briefly" offered us some other packages that we were not interested in at all. Which I can't understand, because all they talked about was "this Lexus is good for 300,000 miles". So, why do I want to buy your damn power train insurance then?!?!, lol....and NO, I do not want door ding insurance.......lesson learned, should have never fell for the "we work with 50 banks" line, and "we can get you great rates". Especially when we ended up going with our own institution.....As far as "spelled out", there is nothing in any of our paperwork regarding information for or about this service. This is what I found shady.
Old 03-03-13, 11:19 AM
TDPUrcell
Driver School Candidate

Was this issue ever resolved?
Old 03-03-13, 06:52 PM
MzKaylee
Driver

wth?! omb! dang i gotta look over my paper too..
Old 01-17-17, 05:11 PM
ihboy75
Driver School Candidate

yes it was and I must have missed this reply?!?! sorry.................after several conversations with the store manager they refunded the 300............I still think it was BS and could have been handles differently. still loving the Lexus though
Old 01-17-17, 05:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ihboy75
yes it was and I must have missed this reply?!?! sorry.................after several conversations with the store manager they refunded the 300............I still think it was BS and could have been handles differently. still loving the Lexus though
Did you just follow up on a question about a resolution from a 5-year old thread? (asked by a member who's only post was that question--he felt SO rejected by not having an answer that he left ClubLexus never to be heard from again....).

I guess I should expect a reply in 2022.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-18-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I know this is an old thread and old issue, but, I'd like to point out something. Even if you did get screwed at first with the unrequested anti-theft service, the $150 processing fee the dealership charged you there in Indiana was MUCH lower than what is typically charged in the Northern Virginia D.C. suburbs where I live. Some of them are up to $700-800 now. Right across the river in Maryland, state law limits it to $200, but Virginia has no formal limit. The flip side, though, is that sales tax on a new car is a little lower in Virginia.
Old 01-23-17, 04:20 AM
ihboy75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
Did you just follow up on a question about a resolution from a 5-year old thread? (asked by a member who's only post was that question--he felt SO rejected by not having an answer that he left ClubLexus never to be heard from again....).

I guess I should expect a reply in 2022.
Who are you the forum "hall monitor"? Trolling threads to make sure everyone uses proper forum etiquette? Maybe someone will have a similar issue in the future and wonder if the issue was resolved?!?!
Old 01-23-17, 06:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

ok, enough guys. closed.