Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tell your story of what it was like buying a car at a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default tell your story of what it was like buying a car at a dealer

i'd like to know your approach and the dealer's...

how did you approach showing your interest (or lack thereof lol)?
how did the dealer salesperson act/react?
how did you act/react?
how was the test drive?
did you bring info on paper or your phone, etc.?
did you work from invoice up or sticker down?
did you bring up hold back, incentives, and other items?

if you don't mind sharing, ultimately, how much lower or higher than sticker price, roughly, did you pay?

do you think it was a good deal in the end?
do you think the dealer salesperson played fair or was only out to rip you off?
how did it go after the initial sale with the infamouse finance and interest guys who try to sell you a whole bunch more stuff (packages, extended warranties, etc.)?

how close do you think you got to expectations you had prior to going in (if you had any)?

anything else you can think of to help anyone here not go into a gun fight with a knife!
Old 01-15-12, 07:36 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought several cars over the year and I did all my homeworks over the Internet. Read forums such as clublexus to see how much others are paying for the particular car I am interested in, then I send out emails to the dealers and usually work with Internet fleet managers. I am sure if I really try hard, I can get 500$ or 1000$ cheaper, but in the end, I usually go with whoever provides me with great service at reasonable price.

And also, I usually do not enjoy walking to the dealership, talking to the sales man (a lot of times, they know less about the car they are selling than I do), going price haggling back and forth with their "managers" etc.
Old 01-15-12, 08:05 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in actually in the process right now going to dealers with my friends and family members. My friends are both getting used cars and my family member already know what she wants 2012 es350. I honestly hate dealers and everything about them. They think they are God's gift to the earth when in reality they are bottom of the barrel. My friends get pissed with me because, I am not gonna lie, they are morons and they fall for the typical dealer tricks.

I always freshen up on a read of the Art of War if you haven't read this yet, you need to

http://www.amazon.com/Art-War-Sun-Tz...6642721&sr=8-1

A dealer/salesman is not your friend he is in fact your enemy, they will do whatever it takes to rip you off and make buy something. 90% are just as stupid as their customers and know nothing about cars. All they know how to do is write a number on a paper and circle it.

*don't believe a word these dealers say, they all lie*

I always try and go for the least amount of interaction as possible. I always tell them I want test drive it without them and will tell them "I dont feel like listening to your bull****, we are going to buy a car regardless if you are there or not" We negotiation time happens I will always, always always start extremely low; When we bought an accord in 2004 they wanted 24k I offered 19k cash. We settled at 20.4k. Dealers have a lot of wiggle room to sell a car, Never buy a car out of emotion always buy with your brain, be smart and do not be afraid to walk out. You will know if you want to buy the car, the salesman does not, and he will bother you until he can sell it.

Good points for negotiations: (your turn to stretch the truth) I dont like the color, I dont like the amount of miles, I dunno if I really like this car. I was ready to buy this car ( find their closest competitor ) and throw out a ridiculous price. If they are serious about wanted to sell the car they will make a deal happen. Never feels pressured and never buy anything on the spot. always sleep on it!
Old 01-15-12, 09:07 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

In my experience, I haven't met one saleman that was honest or knew what they were talking about. I usually have a price in mind that I believe is fair and will not do a deal if that price is not met. No matter how good of a deal you think you have, the dealer is making money so don't buy into the BS they feed you. Just remember you ALWAYS have the upperhand because you can always walk out and go to another dealer.
Old 01-15-12, 11:40 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I walked into the one Lexus dealer we have in town, asked for the General Manager and told him what I wanted and what I would pay based on my research. Told him I wasnt interested in any games and would buy somewhere else if we couldnt work it out.

He said okay, told me the price was low for that car. I said I understand but they will have all the service and as it was a factory order they had no carrying costs. He came back with another grand and I said sure. I got an RX450H 2012 for 8k under list.

I was happy, he was okay with it and now I dont have an antagonistic relationship with those that will service it for the next 5 years.
Old 01-15-12, 12:23 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When I first started shopping around for my IS F back in 2008, I immediately went to my credit union's car buying representative. Sadly, they had just the IS 250/350, as the IS F was not yet in their database. That didn't deter me from still seeking out the vehicle I've wanted since I saw the press coverage and media hype in 2007. I went to my local dealership one day after my workout, so I was in my basketball gear. The salesman initially asked me if I was lost and was ready to show me in the direction of the Scion dealership located on the same lot. I told him I was looking for a new IS F. He told me he only knew of IS 250/350. I knew that the basketball shorts prompted him to direct me as he did, but that wasn't the help I was looking for. I respectfully told him that I'd like to speak to another salesman. He still insisted on walking me to the Scion dealership. Another salesman came to my aid, and he was more than happy to help me out.

I came back the next day after classes and work, and spoke with my new salesman. He said that there were a few IS Fs in, but some being test driven with mileage logged already. I asked if there were any with as close to 0 miles as possible. It was my first car purchase, so I wanted everything to be fresh.

I waited about a week to hear from him, and on a somber February 29th night (the Lakers had lost ) I received a called from my new salesman informing me that two IS F vehicles had made its way to his inventory. I brought my parents with me because they were a bit out of the loop during this whole process. The salesman greeted me just as the dealer was about to close for the night. The four of us went down to the inventory selection they had downstairs, and the two of them were nestled right beside each other, waiting for my decision. I did a visual inspection of both cars. There was some slight scuffing of one of the rims, as well as 30 miles on the odometer. The other one, which I chose, had 10 or so, with no scratches or scuffs whatsoever. The salesman was prompted by his manager to let my parents and I know that we had to leave soon. My salesman told his manager to not rush me, as he understood my buying a car for the first time. My parents sat in the rear seats, and were amazed at the feel and attention to detail the interior had from the backseat view. I had made my decision.

Some incentives that I had researched prior to even going to the dealership were:
-Lexus Loyalty (my parents had purchased one from the dealer awhile back)
-Graduate Program (I had completed my B.A. requirements, as that was the reason why I brought my parents)
-AAA membership discount

My parents were in utter shock. They thought I brought them to the Lexus dealer to look at cars, not for a purchase. And on top of that, they found out that I was essentially done with college; I just needed to walk with my friends and fellow graduates when it came time for graduation. Before we had sat down to finalize the transaction with paperwork and the credit check, I had bargained with my salesman to throw in a car detailing set, wheel locks, discounted black pearl emblems, a cargo net and Lexus trunk storage compartment, and "F" key fob covers- all for no extra charge (aside from the emblems). He wasn't even hesitant.

I had my own financing terms pre-approved before I arrived at the dealership, but LFS was able to go even lower interest-wise with no prepayment penalty. I chose that option.

Fast-forward almost four years, and here I am. My F has been paid off for nearly two years, having been tastefully modded during my ownership, and I have enjoyed the friendships, conversations, and connections I have had so far. She will be celebrating her first birthday this year (Feb. 29th), given I purchased her in a leap year. I have not a single regret. I earned the income to pay for this beautiful ride, and it has been a part of me ever since. A long story, yes, but hopefully future Lexus customers can use some tactics that i used to save some money, or at the very least sweeten the deal on their side a bit.
Old 01-15-12, 12:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

excellent posts, thank you.
Old 01-15-12, 01:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

When I bought my 2006 IS350, I emailed dealers around the area for an 07 with X package and ML in white/black. I do not plan to go to a dealer to discuss price. They need to give me a good price first before I will step in there. I purposely started inquiring around 2 weeks until the end of the month knowing end of the month discounts. One dealer had an 06 with Sport/ML in white/black which the dealers internet sales manager contacted me. It was about a week before the end of the month and I called back to ask the price and got $3500 off as a rock bottom discount just for asking, no haggling or anything. All I did was ask the price. The alternative was a special order, 3-4 month wait, and no break on the price which I was previously prepared for knowing the rarity of these options. Obviously I got the car, but the first time I stepped into the dealer was when I was buying it after discussing the price over the phone.

But again, I'd never go to the dealer to sweat and BS over the price. Seems like totally unnecessary stress and a time waster when you can just talk to an internet sales manager. By showing up IMO, it shows you are more interested in the car than when I email. They have you at the dealer and half their work is done, they just need to reel you in. They havent done any of that when Im at the house.
Old 01-15-12, 01:35 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I'll base this on my most recent purchase a 2012 Camry. I used edmunds dealership connect thing and had dealerships beat each other's prices. After I got my price, i went to the dealership and met with a salesman the internet manager recommended..
My salesman was great, no complaints from me, not pushy and drove the same car as I was trading in (2011 CR-V) and understood what I didn't like about it. What was also very easy was that we agreed the price online so I went in and found the color I wanted, and signed.
Financing guy was a hassle and not bringing along my son was a mistake on my part. He's a lot more analytical then I am, and probably would of gotten me out of there way earlier.
But other then going home and my son noticing a burned out reverse lamp, no hassles. Would totally recommend my salesman and doing all the haggling on the Internet.
Old 01-15-12, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I'll base this on my most recent purchase a 2012 Camry.
Congratulations on your new Camry.

My salesman was great, no complaints from me, not pushy and drove the same car as I was trading in (2011 CR-V) and understood what I didn't like about it. What was also very easy was that we agreed the price online so I went in and found the color I wanted, and signed.
Financing guy was a hassle and not bringing along my son was a mistake on my part. He's a lot more analytical then I am, and probably would of gotten me out of there way earlier.
But other then going home and my son noticing a burned out reverse lamp, no hassles. Would totally recommend my salesman and doing all the haggling on the Internet.
At one time (back in the 80s and early-90s) buying a Camry was like buying an Accord....huge demand, low supply, arrogant dealerships, and customer-indifferent pricing (you either took it or left it).
Old 01-15-12, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My first experience at a Lexus shop left a lot to be desired. I bought a Solar Yellow IS300 in April of 2001. There were a number of IS300s on the lot, in other colors, with minimal options (the way I wanted it)...but no yellow. At first, they didn't think I was a serious customer (I had not reviewed any Lexus models there, and they didn't know me). Second, they really tried to give me the shaft on a trade-in. Third, they tried to sell me a new IS300 in every other color BUT yellow. Fourth, they finally agreed to order one like I wanted. Then, just as I was about to sign the paper, they found a yellow one, equipped just like I wanted, on a ship headed for New York. It was unsold, and they diverted it to the dealership. I picked it up a couple of nights later. The salesman I was dealing with admitted that I was getting screwed on the trade-in, and he went to the GM and sales-managers about it, and they agreed to give me a little more. What's more, I got into a fight with the GM on the wash-bay procedure. I wanted to wash and clean up it myself, just to make sure that some careless dork in the wash-bay didn't scratch or mar the paint while doing it or run the battery down listening to the stereo with the engine off (you'd be surprised how often those things happen). But, unlike at the Saturn dealer, where they were glad to let me do it when I had my previous Saturn SL2, they wouldn't let a customer touch a hose there. I told the GM that was a bunch of bull-s***.......that I was washing and cleaning up cars before most of those guys in the wash-bay were born (which was true)....and possibly before HE was born. But he was firm (he claimed it was for liability reasons), so I didn't press the issue. When I got to the wash-bay, though, I couldn't resist taking the hose and doing at least some of it myself.....until the GM himself came out and asked me to quit. So...I quit. (It wasn't worth making a public scene). But I made darn sure there were no scratches on my new car.

I won't go into all the details when I bought my Subaru Outback several years later....but I'll just say it was a FAR better experience, partly because the salesman previously knew me and was friendly to me (my brother had previously bought an Impreza from hm when we went shopping there). They gave me full Kelly-Blue-Book for my IS (which you don't often get on a trade-in), and gave me a "House-Deal" on the Outback (which was very close to invoice). Their service has also been exemplary.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 04:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Bottom line:
1. dont ever make them feel that you love the car
2. if you are a doctor, lawyer, own your own business etc, do not tell them
3. shop the internet and buy from internet sale department ( no need to pay a salesman to rip you off)
4. I always make sure to tell them that I am also looking at the exact same car at another dealership and they have already run the numbers and have come to a better price and that you are merely there to cross shop.
5. Always take your high end jewelry , watches, or bracelets off and wear casual clothes. Dont try to impress them because if they think you have money they will screw you.

Just a couple of tips. I have had good and bad experiences with my cars at purchase time, but the common denominator is that they will always try to gouge you if you let them so dont put your guard down. Be polite but very firm and dont let them waste your time. This is why the internet sales department is always the best
Old 01-15-12, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Bottom line:

2. if you are a doctor, lawyer, own your own business etc, do not tell them
I'm not sure about the lawyer part. If they know you are an attorney, it will probably work in your favor. Yes, they will know that you (probably) have money, but they will also know that they probably won't be able to pull something over on you that is of doubtful legality.
Old 01-15-12, 06:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

With the advent of the internet, car buying should never be the way it once was. One can bypass so much garbage by emailing a dealer and getting to the point. My IS purchase was just that. Once I got the payoff for my totalled car, I sent out an email to all the dealerships in my area, stating the model, color, options, and price I wanted to pay (Edmund's IS forum had recent transactions listed in my area). A few dealers did not respond, but most did with either a similar match or the exact match. Narrowed it down to two who had the same car, and chose the one with the lower price. Drove out to the dealer the next day and signed the papers. It could not have gone any easier. When you pit mutliple dealers against each other, you have the upper hand.
Old 01-15-12, 07:27 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Information is your best defense. If you are buying new, itemize what you want on paper and get quotes from dealers around the area, then use these quotes against the salesmen from competing dealerships. If you are buying used, be familiar with the prices of your car model around the area (or country).

If you are trading in a car, first go to Carmax to get an idea of what it's worth on trade. Then go to the dealership of the car that you are buying from and see what they will offer you. Then exaggerate Carmax's price and see if they will beat or match your claim

We traded in our 2006 RX400h with 80k miles about 6 months ago for a CPO 2010 Mercedes GLK350 with 24k miles. We got an extra 1k out of the trade in with the Carmax argument, and we knocked $1500 off their asking price for the GLK350 because I said, "If you can get me this price, I will come buy it tonight," which I did. For the mileage, we got the best priced GLK350 in the country at the time.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: tell your story of what it was like buying a car at a dealer