Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 09:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

"Ich bin ein Mainstreamer"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...photo-4744008/

Volkswagen tried building cars in the U.S. once before, and it didn't end well for the Rabbits assembled in Westmoreland, PA. "In Vietnam, 'Westmoreland' was a synonym for boundless optimisim in the face of raw facts. The same principle applies here," said my friend Mike, explaining why his Rabbits at the time were imported from Das Vaterland. The real problem with American-made VWs wasn't Pennsylvania or a self-deluding General, Mike continued, but "mushbucket suspensions, chintzy build quality, frou-frou styling compromises," all resulting in a sub-par experience that's got Volks-folks with long memories wondering if we're doomed to repeat the past.

Volkswagen wants its new 2012 Passat to disprove that trope about repeating history, and the Passat has racked up awards like the Motor Trend Car of the Year and was a North American Car of the Year finalist, lending credence to VW's efforts. We contemplated if the United States earning its own version of the Passat makes us elite or uncultured swine in the wake of our First Drive, and so we signed out a Passat SEL with a 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine to see what the Mainstream American Sedan Songbook sounds like when delivered with a German lilt.
When we first clapped eyes on the 2012 Volkswagen Passat, our immediate impression was "11/10th-scale Jetta." That's okay for the exterior, as nobody will argue that the carefully sculpted Jetta is ugly. The Passat's styling features the same crisp edges and clean conservatism. It's distinctive enough to be recognized as a Volkswagen at first glance, but will take you a second look to figure out which Volkswagen. Clean lines are timeless, so expect the 2012 Passat to look just as Deutsche-Bland in a decade. You'll be able to spot Passat SEL models by their standard foglamps in the front airdam and 17-inch alloy wheels.

The Passat interior left behind a good impression when we first drove the car back in May, which continues to hold up. Volkswagen paid attention to making what you touch feel nice, giving all Passats competitive cabins, though the days of Audi-like opulence have passed. Our 2012 Passat SEL Premium carried nearly the full complement of luxury and equipment available. The $29,895 MSRP included keyless entry and push-button starting, spiffy-looking leather and Dynamica (faux-suede) upholstery, power adjustable heated front seats, and an RNS 510 touchscreen navigation system that plays back through a Fender-branded premium audio system.

There is no denying that the Passat is a well-equipped car at the $30,000 SEL Premium level, and with all that stuff, you don't even notice that you can no longer get all-wheel drive or a station wagon. Volkswagen has done a deft job of turning the cost-cutting frown upside-down. That fake suede on the seats, for example, looks great with its stylishly stitched pattern, and synthetics can be exceptionally durable. Careful trimming of low-demand options is part of what helps keep the car's new price so low – starting below $20,000 – without most buyers having to sacrifice. The fake wood, though, can go.

Volkswagen's 170-horsepower 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine is the volume powerplant for the Passat, though it's rumored to be phased out in favor of a turbocharged four-cylinder soon. The engine patters out an offbeat rhythm with overtones completely lacking in enthusiasm. This motor sounds unhappy about its work, and we were unhappy with its power delivery. It feels weak off the line, because it is, and you've got to get it flagellating 4,200 times per minute before you get the fully underwhelming 177 lb-ft of torque. At least it only requires regular fuel and can return up to 31 miles per gallon on the highway when paired with the six-speed automatic like our test car.

It's one thing to have an engine that calls no attention to itself; that's perfect for a car designed to appeal to the innocuous nougat center of the North American sedan buying public. The problem the Passat 2.5 SEL faces is that its sour-sounding powertrain scrunches up occupants expressions into an "ew-face." There's simply more refinement and better power delivery available from the majority of four cylinders across this crowded, competitive field, not to mention the V6 mills available at this price level.

Enthusiasts, do yourself a favor and spring for the V6 SEL Premium. At $32,950, it's not much of a stretch from this car, and it's packing a 3.6-liter VR6 with 280 hp, and more importantly, 258 lb-ft of torque that's all-in by 2,500 rpm. The rest of the car-buying public won't care, and the 2.5 is a fine engine for people who don't get excited about such things.

The ride and handling balance of the Passat 2.5 SEL is also tuned to appeal to the meat of the car-buying public, folks who don't care a whit about turn-in or spring rates. Still, there's an underlying whiff of what once was, and the Passat felt capable, if underdamped. Large bumps and expansion joints are soaked up without complaint by the well-tuned suspension and rigid structure, and there's more verve in the way the Passat rounds corners than you'll find in the Hyundai Sonata or Toyota Camry, though it's not enough to inspire dreams of weekend autocrossing.

Out on the road, this car does all the right things for the everyman; it's smooth, it's quiet, and with 102 cubic feet of interior space, it's accommodating. It's a big, comfy car that rides nicely and handles without surprises. The Passat is German in its nicely-weighted steering, but the brakes are missing the stern rigidity you'd expect. The automatic transmission, too, wants to be asked twice (nicely) for kickdowns.

The SEL features a chunky, leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel that feels good, and the rest of the ergonomics inside the cabin adhere to Volkswagen practice. The climate controls are clear and concise, and all of the switchgear feels tight and high-quality. There's the characteristic cruise control stalk that all VWs have, and the audio/navigation system is somewhat fussy to use – just try manually tuning it, for instance – but there's no colored quadrants or overly distracting six-level menus. The trunk is on the larger side for its class at 15.9 cubic feet. It's also very accessible, which helps you make the most of its space, another nod to what real people actually want in a car. There's also a pass-through and split-folding rear seatbacks to add to the capacity.

While the Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SEL Premium won't blow your hair back, there are some points of amazement. First, its reasonable price of entry. It starts below $20,000 and our tester is loaded for under $30k before destination charges are added. Second, its efficiency. The tradeoff between lusty performance and robust economy tilts in the right direction with an EPA-estimated 22 mpg city, 31 mpg highway. Finally, and this one is a little more car-geekish, Volkswagen's ability to hold the line on weight. The Passat weighs in at 3,221 pounds in 2.5 SEL Premium trim, impressive in this age of 4,000-pound porkers.

True success in the U.S. mainstream sedan market hinges on hitting the right notes for a middle-of-the-road audience. Guys like Mike, who could pick out General Westmoreland from a photo lineup and remember when VW manuals talked about items like "der puttersparken und die drizzleflappen," are hoping Volkswagen gets it right this time. The key to attaining Volkswagen's lofty sales goals will be mass appeal that avoids mediocrity. The Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SEL manages to do that at the expense of making enthusiasts priapic. Don't be shocked when they sell a zillion of these things.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/12/2...remium-review/
Old 01-12-12, 10:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Love that dash. Clean with no fru fru gimmicks, unlike so many other manufacturers. Also like the stately exterior styling. For those who want a modern look, but don't want to scream "look at me," this car fits nicely. With the upcoming turbo four powerplant, it will be a nice overall package.
Old 01-13-12, 02:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Love that dash. Clean with no fru fru gimmicks, unlike so many other manufacturers. Also like the stately exterior styling. For those who want a modern look, but don't want to scream "look at me," this car fits nicely. With the upcoming turbo four powerplant, it will be a nice overall package.
they copied toyota with bland and boring.
Old 01-13-12, 07:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this NMS version for stateside? Personally, I prefer the European version
Old 01-13-12, 08:27 AM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree. I've always preferred clean, no nonsense design. Hate dashes like the Huyndai below.

Old 01-13-12, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they copied toyota with bland and boring.
I have to agree with Fizzboy. You can call it "bland" or ''boring" if you want, but a simple, clear, easy-to-use dash with large, well-marked controls/***** beats an overly-electronic, joy-stick, arcade-video-dash any day of the week....especially when you are trying to drive and keep your eyes on the road.
Old 01-13-12, 10:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, that 90ies Hayondie looking grey blob is the new Passat?
Old 01-13-12, 10:37 AM
LexFather

I find it beyond laughable how the media and people bash Toyota and the Camry year in, year out in general for bland and boring and here is VW coming with a car more bland and more boring made in Tennessee and it is hailed as a great car and won MT Car of the Year.

Its hard to take people serious anymore

Old 01-13-12, 01:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

There's no denying the resemblance to the Impala. This came up in an earlier Passat thread. I wouldn't say the resemblance is a good thing, but at least VW refined the details, with more conventionally styled headlights, grille, taillights, side details, etc. The Impala's overall shape isn't obnoxious, it's just poorly detailed and toyish. The Passat makes a mature, conservative statement.

Regarding the camparison to the Camry. I also agree there's a double standard of criticism. Although Toyota was on crack when they designed the rear taillights and bucked-toothed front scoop on the SE model.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-13-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 04:02 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoblog
Volkswagen's 170-horsepower 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine is the volume powerplant for the Passat, though it's rumored to be phased out in favor of a turbocharged four-cylinder soon. The engine patters out an offbeat rhythm with overtones completely lacking in enthusiasm. This motor sounds unhappy about its work, and we were unhappy with its power delivery. It feels weak off the line, because it is, and you've got to get it flagellating 4,200 times per minute before you get the fully underwhelming 177 lb-ft of torque. At least it only requires regular fuel and can return up to 31 miles per gallon on the highway when paired with the six-speed automatic like our test car.

It's one thing to have an engine that calls no attention to itself; that's perfect for a car designed to appeal to the innocuous nougat center of the North American sedan buying public. The problem the Passat 2.5 SEL faces is that its sour-sounding powertrain scrunches up occupants expressions into an "ew-face." There's simply more refinement and better power delivery available from the majority of four cylinders across this crowded, competitive field, not to mention the V6 mills available at this price level.
Surprised that the I-5 gets panned badly for its roughness and noise when MotorTrend pretty much said the opposite:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._family_court/

"That said, the I-5 is smooth, quieter than the I-4, and seems at home in the 3271-pound SE."

So who's right?
Old 01-13-12, 08:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by ydooby
Surprised that the I-5 gets panned badly for its roughness and noise when MotorTrend pretty much said the opposite:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._family_court/

"That said, the I-5 is smooth, quieter than the I-4, and seems at home in the 3271-pound SE."

So who's right?
Every I-5 I've ever driven was raspy and unpolished (not that some 4's aren't) and felt unbalanced, lacked a nice linear feel. 4 > 5 any day for me
Old 01-13-12, 09:26 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Every I-5 I've ever driven was raspy and unpolished (not that some 4's aren't) and felt unbalanced, lacked a nice linear feel. 4 > 5 any day for me
What about audi's glorious turbo 5? the 80's models are a tuners dream and the new turbo 5 is in the TT RS
Old 01-13-12, 09:56 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bad co
What about audi's glorious turbo 5? the 80's models are a tuners dream and the new turbo 5 is in the TT RS
Haven't had the pleasure of 80s models or a TT RS

I had seat time behind Jettas, Beetles, a Passat or two, and a handful of Volvos with I5's both NA and FI. Oh and a Chevy Colorado with its I5. Didn't like any of them lol

I would be curious as to how the new 2.5L I5 250hp in the S60 drives
Old 01-14-12, 12:56 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Just about every review of the new Jetta, Beetle, and I5 Passat I've read thus far has had a negative opinion of the motor. I'd have to guess Motor Trend is the odd one out.
Old 01-14-12, 04:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

1sick, badco, knock off ther personal commentary pease (posts removed).

Quick Reply: 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5L SEL Premium