Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Acura RDX drops turbo four in favor of V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 11:58 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not diggin much of it. The slumped over rear roofline and abbreviated rear window lends a hatchback look, which cheapens the theme and carries a compact look . The Hot Wheels rims are immature and classless, the grille is still unecessarily overstyled, and the coal bin cabin needs some warming up (wood). Also, the taillights and rear hatch are copies of the Audi A7, a look we've all seen since the mid-2000's. Nothing really new there at all.

I also don't think jumping to the V6 is progress. While many manufacturers are creating successful turbo fours with good power and high MPG's, Acura dumps theirs and goes the opposite direction. In my opinion, that shows they could not come up with their own successful compact motor. While the 3.5 V6 is solid, one wonders what would have or could have been if Honda worked their magic on a proper 2.0 turbo. Maybe back in the days when Honda led with technology.
true
and that the 2012 CR-V is more futuristically designed than this RDX "prototype"
but the truth is, i prefer this more conservative design over the so forward and progressive CR-V

jumping to V6 isnt progress
but getting 20/28 on SH-AWD for this car while making 273hp is decent progress, especially considering they've upsized this car

Last edited by UberNoob; 01-10-12 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-10-12, 04:18 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
20/28 is nice for something with SH-AWD (yes, it is the SH-AWD) and not to mention still get 273hp

those are really good numbers on paper
hopefully the transmission will be reliable
then we have a winner here

that is if you can look past that iron mask
From what I read they are not using SH-AWD in order to save weight. The Honda/Acura boards aren't happy about this as this will be the only AWD in an Acura that isn't SH-AWD.
Old 01-10-12, 05:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
From what I read they are not using SH-AWD in order to save weight. The Honda/Acura boards aren't happy about this as this will be the only AWD in an Acura that isn't SH-AWD.
Yes, it lost SH-AWD, it loses the turbo for the familiar V-6 and is CR-V based now.

Old 01-10-12, 06:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like it.
Smart move going with a V6.
I would have bought a RDX instead of a CR-V but didn't because of the lousy mileage and premium fuel need of the turbo.
Old 01-10-12, 06:07 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With how much success Honda has had with the CRV, and Acura with the MDX, the fact that they got the RDX so wrong from the beginning was mind boggling.

Now we have a car that looks quite a bit like the last Saturn Vue, and it's lost Acura's trademark SH-AWD. I think the move to the V6 is a good idea, and making it a tad bigger won't hurt either. However, even though Acura is trying to identify and build a design language, this car came out surprisingly...blah. The front end is not particularly befitting for an SUV and looks pretty tame - more family sedan than lux CUV. The side profile is fine, but also a little vanilla, and the same goes for the rear end. At least the interior looks decent.

Maybe Acura is gun-shy on trying to design anything better than vanilla after the TL disaster, but I think this is another fumble for the brand. Q5 and X3 are gobbling up marketshare and the RX is untouchable...Acura should have put a little more personality into this one - I think it would have really paid off, because they got the basic formula right (finally).
Old 01-10-12, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
With how much success Honda has had with the CRV, and Acura with the MDX, the fact that they got the RDX so wrong from the beginning was mind boggling.

Now we have a car that looks quite a bit like the last Saturn Vue, and it's lost Acura's trademark SH-AWD. I think the move to the V6 is a good idea, and making it a tad bigger won't hurt either. However, even though Acura is trying to identify and build a design language, this car came out surprisingly...blah. The front end is not particularly befitting for an SUV and looks pretty tame - more family sedan than lux CUV. The side profile is fine, but also a little vanilla, and the same goes for the rear end. At least the interior looks decent.

Maybe Acura is gun-shy on trying to design anything better than vanilla after the TL disaster, but I think this is another fumble for the brand. Q5 and X3 are gobbling up marketshare and the RX is untouchable...Acura should have put a little more personality into this one - I think it would have really paid off, because they got the basic formula right (finally).
Their probably testing the waters with this one, which is understandable considering the last few years. I'd imagine this is just a precursor to the MDX redesign which being the bread and butter of their sales can either go vanilla like you said or use the right formula but give it some personality. Only time will tell
Old 01-11-12, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Ordinarily I would prefer a V6 over a turbo-4 (though the VW/Audi 2.0T is a real honey of a powerplant). But the last-generation RDX's turbo-4 had one thing going for it. It was (arguably) the ONLY Honda/Acura in-line four I've ever driven that had any REAL torque at low RPMs. All of the others were as peaky as Dolly Parton's bra, and had virtually no low-end torque.
Old 01-11-12, 12:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ordinarily I would prefer a V6 over a turbo-4 (though the VW/Audi 2.0T is a real honey of a powerplant). But the last-generation RDX's turbo-4 had one thing going for it. It was (arguably) the ONLY Honda/Acura in-line four I've ever driven that had any REAL torque at low RPMs. All of the others were as peaky as Dolly Parton's bra, and had virtually no low-end torque.
I test drove a turbo-4 RDX when it first came out, I was all excited because it is the 1st factory turbocharged Honda. That thing is absolutely gutless, I was majorly disappointed. The V6 RAV-4 smokes it left and right.
Old 01-11-12, 02:19 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V6 RDX will be nice compared to the old gens 4 turbo. Ive driven em, not all that great.
Old 01-11-12, 05:33 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Tested the turbo RDX for the woman about a year ago but didn't like it. Now when I look at it, I think it's the most dated looking small SUV. New one looks much better.
Old 01-11-12, 05:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow another cross over vehicle with a 3.5 engine. I have never like Acura all that much and I am shocked about the MPG increase.