Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NSX concept revealing today

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 05:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The LFA concepts were shown for about 5 or 6 years before it made it into production/sale, prototypes were tested for about 6 or 7 years before it was sold. GTR concepts were shown for 6 or 7 years before it going on sale in the US. 3 years is disappointing at this point but not out of the ordinary for conservative Japanese car companies.

What is blowing away the competition? 600hp? 800hp? 2600lbs? This NSX is supposed to be somewhat attainable, if it has hp numbers/extreme low weight to blow away the competition it will not come close to being attainable and will just be another really expensive low volume fantasy car you will never see in public and can only gawk at pictures/specs unless you win the lottery.
Originally Posted by ydooby
Well the development of the LFA took 10 years to come to fruition and the first concept was shown in the sixth year with no commitment to production. I'd say a commitment to production of the NSX in 3 years is pretty good.

Apparently everyone has forgotten that this

Has been floating around since 2003.

I like this new concept, but 3 years off is ridiculous considering how much work has been put into their concepts and prototypes.
Old 01-09-12, 05:20 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1

I like this new concept, but 3 years off is ridiculous considering how much work has been put into their concepts and prototypes.
Well unlike the LFA's continuous development work during the 10 years, the NSX project experienced a few years of near halt due to the confused direction of Honda's management, so 3 years from now isn't unreasonable IMHO.
Old 01-09-12, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

clean. now build it!
Old 01-09-12, 05:31 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

they love that ugly *** front end.thats the grin you have when you fart in a crowded room!
Old 01-09-12, 06:12 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

You guys are arguing about a unicorn

Wait for it to happen

V6 lol
Is it n/a or .... hybrid or something? If it's not 500+ then it can't be more than 40k...
Old 01-09-12, 06:21 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 439 Likes on 362 Posts

It's kind of weird looking. I liked the original NSX better.
Old 01-09-12, 06:33 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

This has to be taken for what it is. It's a new NSX.

It's not the same beloved one from the 90's.

But that doesn't make it bad.

And it really is a testament to the original NSX that people still seem to be scared about what a successful NSX (and Acura for that matter) might be.
Old 01-09-12, 07:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have not been on ClubLexus much lately, is this Sicklex or someone else, sounds exactly like him?

This is the new NSX whether you agree with it or not. People will mention it with the LFA despite you thinking they are incomparable and labeling the LFA a "masterpiece"(your opinion). The LFA gets mentioned with the GTR all the time despite having different layouts and much different pricing. Most Honda "fanbois" like you call them did not want the front engined V10 HSV, they wanted a mid rear car and did not care as much about the number of cylinders as long as it performed. NSX fans liked the first HSC concept the most, many hated the first Corvettish v10 front engined concept.

You claim to already know the NSX will not hold a candle to the LFA when the NSX is 3 years from production/sale, we know very little about what the next NSX will have and nothing about how it will perform.

As far as drawing a comparison to the LFA and GTR I will whether it bothers you or not, the NSX was sold in America well before the LFA or GTR or anything remotely close was in their lineups. They are here now because they are first generation cars in America. Acura had a expensive exotic sports car in their lineup since 91 and is on the second generation where Lexus has one since 2010 on its first and most likely only generation. LFA will be Toyota's top performing sports car, GTR Nissans, and NSX Honda's and will all be compared to each other and mentioned in the same sentence by enthusiasts and journalists no matter how much it bothers you or hurts your ego. They are all sports cars from Japanese companies which
means they will be compared a lot.

I would not care if the LFA or GTR was made here, unlike you I don't care where they are made and don't worship Japanese plants/made cars. You have me confused with someone else. I never once bashed Lexus for possibly moving production to the US, I was actually going to comment in that thread how pathetic it is that so many are bashing the possibility that Lexus may make cars in the US like a US auto worker can not screw in a bolt or attach a piece as well as a Japanese worker. If you pay attention to my previous posts on auto labor in different countries I have always felt unreliability and poor quality has to do with the design/engineering of the car and not with who is screwing the car together.

Nobody has confirmed that the power plant will be the same exact powerplant going into the RL. I never said it won't be a V6 or even a 3.5 liter V6, I said it was unknown right now and it most likely will have unique technology/performance for the NSX. People at Honda did say the engine going into the new RL was not up to par for the NSX and it needed more power. The original NSX had a V6 just like the Legend but it was a different much more advanced engine making much more power.

You can't have a Accord based NSX when the engine is in the rear, Accords don't have the engine in the rear. If you are just going by rumors that they flipped the Accord chassis around (fwd chassis have been flipped before to make mid eng rwd cars) they would have to do so much modifying of the platform to do that for a mid engined sports car that it would be much too different to just be a Accord platform. If the NSX is truly based on a Honda Accord then it going to be fwd with the engine in the front which it isn't.

Actually I am not a fan of a hybrid powertrain in the new NSX but if it has over 400hp with this new 3 electric motor system and a DSG it could be something very special and totally unique, I am still afraid all that tech is going to weigh too much and be too complicated especially mated up to the E-shawd.

This car should be called the NSX. It is a mid rear engined exotic just like the original. Does not matter where it will be built or if the powertrain changes somewhat. The front engined V10 is the car that should not have been called a NSX(most likely it would not have been) since it was so different from the original.

Should the 2nd gen SC be called something different since it became a expensive hardtop conv cruiser with totally different styling. Should the IS be called something different since it went from an inline six to a V6. Should the GTR be called something different since it went from a turbo inline 6 to a turbo V6. If the next Supra is a V6 hybrid should it not be called a Supra since the last one was a tt inline 6. Corvette originally was a cruiser with a inline 6, changed to sports car with a v8, I can go on and on with other examples. Powertrains change on the same models.

This is the next NSX and it holds to the heritage much better then the front engined v10 car that was going to be released but the CEO killed.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-09-12 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Requested by quoted member because he deleted post
Old 01-09-12, 07:27 PM
legit
Pole Position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDFWBQqT6M
Old 01-09-12, 09:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

They have totally changed directions a few times along with CEOs who have different visions since that original concept. The HSC from 2003 was based on the original NSX with a NA 3.5l engine rumored to make around 350hp-360hp. People complained it was not enough power and wanted a bigger engine so it eventually went to a front engined rwd V10 HSV which then was rumored to later go to SH-AWD. The new CEO killed it saying it was not the right direction after the economic collapse but they raced a V8 version of it. Now they are going with a the hybrid powertrain and the engine back in the rear. I doubt they are using much if anything from the front engined v10 in this new NSX, they most likely are not using much from the HSC from 2003 either so it is almost a clean sheet design which will take some time to develope.
Old 01-10-12, 01:31 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of an Audi R8 and an Ultimate Aero.
Old 01-10-12, 01:55 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the Audi R8 claims. Post a side by side and the R8's cab is more forward. They really only share the layout of Mid-AWD. I love the NSX, and I hope this new one is a success for honda so they can go back to the sportiness that they're so good at.
Old 01-10-12, 06:12 AM
LexFather

I have not been on ClubLexus much lately, is this Sicklex or someone else, sounds exactly like him?

This is the new NSX whether you agree with it or not. People will mention it with the LFA despite you thinking they are incomparable and labeling the LFA a "masterpiece"(your opinion). The LFA gets mentioned with the GTR all the time despite having different layouts and much different pricing. Most Honda "fanbois" like you call them did not want the front engined V10 HSV, they wanted a mid rear car and did not care as much about the number of cylinders as long as it performed. NSX fans liked the first HSC concept the most, many hated the first Corvettish v10 front engined concept.

You claim to already know the NSX will not hold a candle to the LFA when the NSX is 3 years from production/sale, we know very little about what the next NSX will have and nothing about how it will perform.

As far as drawing a comparison to the LFA and GTR I will whether it bothers you or not, the NSX was sold in America well before the LFA or GTR or anything remotely close was in their lineups. They are here now because they are first generation cars in America. Acura had a expensive exotic sports car in their lineup since 91 and is on the second generation where Lexus has one since 2010 on its first and most likely only generation. LFA will be Toyota's top performing sports car, GTR Nissans, and NSX Honda's and will all be compared to each other and mentioned in the same sentence by enthusiasts and journalists no matter how much it bothers you or hurts your ego. They are all sports cars from Japanese companies which
means they will be compared a lot.

I would not care if the LFA or GTR was made here, unlike you I don't care where they are made and don't worship Japanese plants/made cars. You have me confused with someone else. I never once bashed Lexus for possibly moving production to the US, I was actually going to comment in that thread how pathetic it is that so many are bashing the possibility that Lexus may make cars in the US like a US auto worker can not screw in a bolt or attach a piece as well as a Japanese worker. If you pay attention to my previous posts on auto labor in different countries I have always felt unreliability and poor quality has to do with the design/engineering of the car and not with who is screwing the car together.

Nobody has confirmed that the power plant will be the same exact powerplant going into the RL. I never said it won't be a V6 or even a 3.5 liter V6, I said it was unknown right now and it most likely will have unique technology/performance for the NSX. People at Honda did say the engine going into the new RL was not up to par for the NSX and it needed more power. The original NSX had a V6 just like the Legend but it was a different much more advanced engine making much more power.

You can't have a Accord based NSX when the engine is in the rear, Accords don't have the engine in the rear. If you are just going by rumors that they flipped the Accord chassis around (fwd chassis have been flipped before to make mid eng rwd cars) they would have to do so much modifying of the platform to do that for a mid engined sports car that it would be much too different to just be a Accord platform. If the NSX is truly based on a Honda Accord then it going to be fwd with the engine in the front which it isn't.

Actually I am not a fan of a hybrid powertrain in the new NSX but if it has over 400hp with this new 3 electric motor system and a DSG it could be something very special and totally unique, I am still afraid all that tech is going to weigh too much and be too complicated especially mated up to the E-shawd.

This car should be called the NSX. It is a mid rear engined exotic just like the original. Does not matter where it will be built or if the powertrain changes somewhat. The front engined V10 is the car that should not have been called a NSX(most likely it would not have been) since it was so different from the original.

Should the 2nd gen SC be called something different since it became a expensive hardtop conv cruiser with totally different styling. Should the IS be called something different since it went from an inline six to a V6. Should the GTR be called something different since it went from a turbo inline 6 to a turbo V6. If the next Supra is a V6 hybrid should it not be called a Supra since the last one was a tt inline 6. Corvette originally was a cruiser with a inline 6, changed to sports car with a v8, I can go on and on with other examples. Powertrains change on the same models.

This is the next NSX and it holds to the heritage much better then the front engined v10 car that was going to be released but the CEO killed.
Its admirable you come here to pick up for Acura/Honda but there is a lot not accurate. It has nothing to do with "ego" at all, everyone knows I love the first gen NSX, it is one of the greatest cars of all time. It also was compared to the GT-R and Supra in the 1990s. Those 3 battled for Japanese sports car supremacy. There is no Supra today and no NSX today. The GT-R is back the LFA is by far the greatest road car from Asia. These are not just my words, the experts in EVO, Top Gear, MPH, C&D etc etc etc have all stated this fact. The LFA should not be brought up, it is a $350,000, V-10, RWD, only 500 made exotic sports car. It has been pitted against the Ferrari 599 GTO and the 700hp Lamborghini Aventendor. These are their top of the line cars, not their entry level ones. The LFA should take longer to produce considering the Carbon Fiber construction IN HOUSE. How many NSX's were sold, 15-20k? 500 LFAs will be built.

It is apples to oranges. They both have 4 wheels and thats about it. If anything this new NSX will possibly battle the LF-LC that debuted, both are sports car hybrids and the LF-LC will be a lot cheaper than the LFA.

It is obvious with production moving to America that to save costs & share parts, just like they did with the TL in 1999 etc etc There is nothing wrong with that if that is the business case to bring back the NSX. It certainly will not be as special as the first generation NSX. Honda is one of the better companies at sharing parts. They might simply adjust the mid-ship platform again and it seems it will be the engine going in the new RL/TL etc. It makes no sense for them to use two completely different 3.5 liter V-6 engines. When the rumors came out I think most didn't believe it but with the car being made in Ohio, it makes sense now.

Sorry NSX and "exotic" is still up for debate. The heart of an exotic is the engine, many people insist on at least 10 cylinders even! This new NSX will surely be a great handling sports car but the Porsche 911, Corvette ZR1, Nissan GTR are not exotics nor will this be.

Of course some internetz people compared the LFA and GTR. Like Chris Harris said they have completely lost the point. The only thing these 3 cars have in common is they are cars. THey are priced differently and executed differently for different markets and perform differently.

In summary, while I think it should be named something else, its great that we are getting a hybrid sports car with trick AWD. No matter what, everyone should welcome another sports car to the world. The last thing anyone needs to do is compare a car not produced yet to cars in production and compare a car out of production to a car in production. By the time the NSX hits a NEW GTR will be in the streets. With Acura/Honda stating they will not target Tier 1 brands like Lexus, that is an obvious clue the NSX does not have the LFA anywhere in its sights at all.

They have totally changed directions a few times along with CEOs who have different visions since that original concept. The HSC from 2003 was based on the original NSX with a NA 3.5l engine rumored to make around 350hp-360hp. People complained it was not enough power and wanted a bigger engine so it eventually went to a front engined rwd V10 HSV which then was rumored to later go to SH-AWD. The new CEO killed it saying it was not the right direction after the economic collapse but they raced a V8 version of it. Now they are going with a the hybrid powertrain and the engine back in the rear. I doubt they are using much if anything from the front engined v10 in this new NSX, they most likely are not using much from the HSC from 2003 either so it is almost a clean sheet design which will take some time to develope.
MR_F1 is correct. The HSC debuted in 2003 as the new NSX. It is 2012 now, the new car will debut in 2015 or so. The on/off NSX project has gone on much longer than the LFA/GTR which shouldn't be mentioned anyway. Apples to Oranges.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-10-12 at 06:16 AM.

Old 01-10-12, 03:36 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Found this on Yahoo. It looks really good!

Announcing the rebirth of the Honda NSX: one of the most iconic sports cars of the 1990s will return in 2015 as an American-built Acura with all-wheel-drive and an electric-enhanced rear engine. Here's a hybrid to get excited for.
The NSX represented the pinnacle of Honda's sports heyday of the 1980s and '90s. Launched with input from Formula One great Ayrton Senna, the NSX set a brace of technological firsts -- from its aluminum monocoque frame to the variable valve timing that would become a standard on engines worldwide. The NSX wasn't the fastest or most-powerful supercar, but reflected Honda's balance between power, weight and handling -- a sweet spot that few cars have ever achieved.

Honda mulled replacing the NSX for years with a V-10 powered successor, but the company soon embraced smaller engines and a tight focus on fuel efficiency. Somewhere along the way, it also lost a piece of the racing spirit that birthed the NSX, unleashing a string of unsuccessful to ungainly models that offered little over their competitors.

After last year's update of the Honda Civic -- a freshening that did little to improve the car's weakening position against tough competition -- Honda's executives vowed to revive the company's soul. The new NSX, to be sold under the Acura brand, shows they're serious enough to design the most attractive Acura ever.

The concept retains the mid-engine V-6 layout of the original NSX, but adds in a new Honda all-wheel-drive system that relies on electric motors to power the front wheels. As with its predecessor, Honda vows the NSX won't rely on brute force, but combine lightweight materials with high technology for supercar performance and respectable fuel economy.
If there's a disappointment here, it's that Honda has held back several key details about the NSX concept, including the power its engines and electric motors will generate. But the U.S.-based team developing the NSX for production in Ohio has three years to get it right.
Old 01-10-12, 03:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

"It looks agressive, muscular, and cohesive but still elegant."

Quick Reply: NSX concept revealing today