Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NSX concept revealing today

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 01:33 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the new SH-AWD. Negative torque on the inside wheel using electric motor is pure genius and justifies the whole decision to go hybrid (and not for the emission/mpg reasons). Can't wait to see the new NSX outperforming a lot of supercars of much higher horsepower with the magic of the new SH-AWD on the track!
Old 01-09-12, 01:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The LFA concepts were shown for about 5 or 6 years before it made it into production/sale, prototypes were tested for about 6 or 7 years before it was sold. GTR concepts were shown for 6 or 7 years before it going on sale in the US. 3 years is disappointing at this point but not out of the ordinary for conservative Japanese car companies.

What is blowing away the competition? 600hp? 800hp? 2600lbs? This NSX is supposed to be somewhat attainable, if it has hp numbers/extreme low weight to blow away the competition it will not come close to being attainable and will just be another really expensive low volume fantasy car you will never see in public and can only gawk at pictures/specs unless you win the lottery.
7 years what? LFA concepts were shown in 2005, 2007, 2008, and official version was shown in 2009.
But LFA is limited run exotic. FR-S was previewed 2 years before final version, but FR-S never existed.

This for me as if Lexus has shown SC to start selling in 2014... It might be cool looking, i just wouldnt care.
Old 01-09-12, 01:44 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LFA concepts were shown for about 5 or 6 years before it made it into production/sale, prototypes were tested for about 6 or 7 years before it was sold. GTR concepts were shown for 6 or 7 years before it going on sale in the US. 3 years is disappointing at this point but not out of the ordinary for conservative Japanese car companies.

What is blowing away the competition? 600hp? 800hp? 2600lbs? This NSX is supposed to be somewhat attainable, if it has hp numbers/extreme low weight to blow away the competition it will not come close to being attainable and will just be another really expensive low volume fantasy car you will never see in public and can only gawk at pictures/specs unless you win the lottery.
Dont even bother with output numbers, this will be one very efficient machine when it comes delivering the power to the ground and trough curves. New SH-AWD will be the true pioneer when it debuts in a production car. Expect GT-R like performance with minus 100hp or so.
Old 01-09-12, 01:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
7 years what? LFA concepts were shown in 2005, 2007, 2008, and official version was shown in 2009.
But LFA is limited run exotic. FR-S was previewed 2 years before final version, but FR-S never existed.

This for me as if Lexus has shown SC to start selling in 2014... It might be cool looking, i just wouldnt care.
I did not say 7 years for the "concepts", I said around 7 years for the camo "prototypes" that were being tested in 2004, built in 03. Lexus began development of the LFA in 2000 and it did not go on sale until 10 years later. That NSX concept is not a production version with those headlights plus they would have shown the production ready interior if it was so 3 years from concept to production is not out of the ordinary for a Japanese car company but still disappointing to NSX fans.

The Lexus LFC concept may very well point to the next SC coupe but it will be heavily toned down before production/sale in the US which most likely won't be before 2014 if they build it.
Old 01-09-12, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(no i'm not bashing lexus, i dislike concept cars in general, but) lexus showed the lfa concepts and prototypes for years too.

it's a strange biz.
i thought about that as well, but i don't think at the time lexus said how long before the real car came out?
Old 01-09-12, 01:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

When I first saw those drawings of the NSX I was like OMG they totally ruined it, this looks nothing like the Tony Stark car. Disappointed was not a big enough word to describe how I felt when looking at those bland sketches/drawings. I then saw the high res real photos of it and the videos and breathed a big sigh relief. It is a great looking concept, low sexy mid engine proportions, a little busy in some areas but that will be toned down, glad they kept the rear light integrated spoiler theme.

I think Acura should really take those sketches down because they don't do the actual car justice at all, it basically looks totally different in the pictures/videos then from those graphic drawings.
Old 01-09-12, 02:00 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

looks very nice. kinda agree with an earlier post that the body style has the R8 vibe, not a bad thing i guess.

Last edited by raptor22; 01-09-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 02:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I think this concept looks real good
Old 01-09-12, 02:14 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

http://youtu.be/UzaynkoC04k
Old 01-09-12, 02:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I have to say meh. Looks like a more angular, chunkier and uglier R8, with an Accord V6. The only interesting things are mid-engine placement and next-gen SH-AWD.

NSX fans are going to be up in arms about the fact this will be built in the US. This all but confirms to me it will be on an Accord chassis with an Accord engine.

For shame Honda. The original NSX had a unique chassis, with a unique V6 engine and was built in Japan.

And doesn't debut for another 3 years?? That's a long time away.
Old 01-09-12, 02:41 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe 3 years from 2011 -- the exec might still b e in 2011

I have to say it looks really good. If it comes out in 2014 at a good price then I'm sure Acura will pull back many of its old NSX customers. But that video looks straight out of Gran Turismo 5, giving some weight to the idea of the car as a unicorn. Let's just hope it does come out for Acura's sake

Edit: Just clicked on the video and apparently it IS from GT5
Old 01-09-12, 02:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big issue here is that Honda needs a new V6...direct injection and all the latest bells and whistles. They've been using the same basic block for close to two decades.
Old 01-09-12, 03:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

NSX fans are going to be up in arms about the fact this will be built in the US. This all but confirms to me it will be on an Accord chassis with an Accord engine.

For shame Honda. The original NSX had a unique chassis, with a unique V6 engine and was built in Japan.
Since when does the Accord chassis have the engine in the rear? This car will be mid rear engined meaning it is not based on a front engined front wheel drive Accord chassis. This car looks to have a original chassis unless Accords are going to start having the engine in the rear. There is no confirmation exactly what kind of V6 is going into this car other then it will be DI which is unique to Honda V6 right now. People at Honda told the press the car would use something different with more power then what is going into the new RL hybrid powertrain which is rumored to be around 400hp.

Who cares where it will be built? Building it in the US means they can put a lot more money into it and sell it for much less then if they built it in Japan. It costs a fortune to build cars in Japan now which is why Japanese companies are talking about and trying to move more production out of Japan to other countries, that was not the case when the NSX debuted in 91 where it was much less expensive to build cars in Japan.
Old 01-09-12, 04:41 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks good overall. It does have some quirky angles and the front grill is still a bit ugly, but I'm so glad they are putting the engine in the correct location. It didn't "Wow" me like the NS-X did in 1989/90, but I could see myself getting one if the price is around GTR range.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased with this concept or releived that it is actually quite nice looking over all and not your typical butchered Honda/Acura design of late.
Old 01-09-12, 05:12 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Since when does the Accord chassis have the engine in the rear? This car will be mid rear engined meaning it is not based on a front engined front wheel drive Accord chassis. This car looks to have a original chassis unless Accords are going to start having the engine in the rear. There is no confirmation exactly what kind of V6 is going into this car other then it will be DI which is unique to Honda V6 right now. People at Honda told the press the car would use something different with more power then what is going into the new RL hybrid powertrain which is rumored to be around 400hp.

Who cares where it will be built? Building it in the US means they can put a lot more money into it and sell it for much less then if they built it in Japan. It costs a fortune to build cars in Japan now which is why Japanese companies are talking about and trying to move more production out of Japan to other countries, that was not the case when the NSX debuted in 91 where it was much less expensive to build cars in Japan.
NSX based on flip-flopped next gen Accord chassis.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/22/r...-just-resting/

Next gen engines (from vtec.net - acura fanboi/marketing outlet):

【3.5L class engine】
・Employs new valve train mechanisms and direct injection technology in the SOHC, VTEC, VCM systems to improve by over 10% of fuel efficiency and 5% of output, relative to the present standalone engine model.

Hybrid SH-AWD system info:

A high-efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance.
・A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
・An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.
・By mounting a high-performance lithium-ion battery and optimally controlling the front and rear motors, a new hybrid system with high fuel efficiency and output was realized.
・By mounting two independent motors in the rear and employing a newly developed bilateral torque adjustable control system, incredibly tight “on-the-rail” cornering is realized, providing a stable ride for all daily driving environments.

Quick Reply: NSX concept revealing today