Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I'm considering a 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-11, 10:06 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RFFG
Get a certified low mileage turbo S, save about 30k on depreciation alone

But........pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease do yourself a favor and test drive a 997.2 GT3RS before you buy the Turbo S.
I prefer to buy new, that way I don't have any surprises from tortured engines, trans, etc.

I thought about the GT3RS, and haven't had a chance to drive one...............yet.
Old 12-24-11, 10:56 AM
LexFather

Stunning choice but like someone mentioned, the 991 is around the corner.

Old 12-24-11, 04:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I'll probably look at that, when it comes out. Although I've got a good friend who has had nothing but problems with his new XJ.
For what its worth I have a friend with a new XJ as well. No problems whatsoever
Old 12-24-11, 05:20 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd be hesitant to go for the 991. Reviews on the feel of the new electric steering are not good (in fact one of the evo guys said the FT86 steering feel is better than the 991), and for me personally, the main reason to buy a Porsche would be for the legendary steering feel. Frankly it's utterly insane that Porsche decided to go with electric steering for the 991.

The test drives you've listed leave me wondering what exactly you're looking for in a car. Interior quality and reliability appear to be important, but the Z06 and Turbo are very different vehicles even besides quality issues. AWD and RWD will give much different driving experiences. Even the Turbo and GT3, despite being based on the same chassis, are totally different cars to the driver.

If you want a nice interior, the GT3 RS is out of the question. As far as Porsche, you could consider the base 997.2 GT3 although I don't know if Porsche is still building them - but I think even the 997.2 GTS is an excellent choice, as a culmination of sorts of the 997 generation.

Aston Martin vehicles certainly have good interior fit and finish; I actually really like the V8 Vantage S (except for the fact that there's no reason an aluminum coupe should weigh 3600lbs) and could see myself impulsively buying one at some point.

I love the DB9, truly a beautiful car, although the overweight chassis doesn't make it a pure sports car.
The GT-R actually weighs more than a DB9. Functionally I also doubt the GT-R qualifies as a pure sports car.
Old 12-24-11, 05:49 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 466 Likes on 293 Posts

The 991 Turbo won't be available for a while after the initial launch. Based on past performance, it may be a year or more into the 991 before we see the Turbo and longer still before we see the Turbo S. Still, the 997.2 Turbo S is an astonishing car.
Old 12-24-11, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So, what are your thoughts, suggestions, and ideas? What other 530+ HP sports cars would you guys consider in the under $180k range?

So far I liked the 911 Turbo S the best. Quality just exudes from the car. Everything about it looks and feels well made.

Jaguar reliability traditionally isn't the best, but if you're willing to take a chance on it, check out the upcoming XKR-S. 550 HP, and will start at 134K, although there may be inevitable dealer-markups. The XKR, like Aston Martins, is more of a GT-tourer than a hard-edged sports car like the 911, but classy isn't the word for it..........I did a full-review last December on an XKR convertible (around 105K, list), and I thought that sitting in it and driving it was like dating a supermodel. The upcoming S model will, of course, have even more power.

I agree that recent 911s, build-quality-wise, feel like they are carved from a block of granite. Also keep in mind, though, that just buying or leasing expensive sports cars in this class is one thing, but insurance premiums, depending on your driving-record, can also be through the roof. And, to put it bluntly, the 911 had better be well-built.........once the warranty and any factory-covered service runs out, you will probably faint at the cost of a 911 Turbo's parts and repairs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-24-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-24-11, 09:49 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
The test drives you've listed leave me wondering what exactly you're looking for in a car. Interior quality and reliability appear to be important, but the Z06 and Turbo are very different vehicles even besides quality issues. AWD and RWD will give much different driving experiences. Even the Turbo and GT3, despite being based on the same chassis, are totally different cars to the driver.
Originally Posted by gengar

If you want a nice interior, the GT3 RS is out of the question.
Essentially I'm looking for the highest quality 2 door sports car, with a comfortable interior, all the bells and whistles (Nav, nice stereo, heated and air conditioned seats if possible), cleanest style exterior, with 500+ HP. That's why the Turbo S is #1 on my list. The Z06 is a fun car, just not a very high quality interior. Ditto for the GTR.
Rear or all wheel drive is of secondary importance to me.
Old 12-25-11, 12:25 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that recent 911s, build-quality-wise, feel like they are carved from a block of granite. Also keep in mind, though, that just buying or leasing expensive sports cars in this class is one thing, but insurance premiums, depending on your driving-record, can also be through the roof. And, to put it bluntly, the 911 had better be well-built.........once the warranty and any factory-covered service runs out, you will probably faint at the cost of a 911 Turbo's parts and repairs.
Any 150K car is going to cost some serious $$$$ to repair. It's part of the deal.
Old 12-25-11, 12:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Essentially I'm looking for the highest quality 2 door sports car, with a comfortable interior, all the bells and whistles (Nav, nice stereo, heated and air conditioned seats if possible), cleanest style exterior, with 500+ HP. That's why the Turbo S is #1 on my list. The Z06 is a fun car, just not a very high quality interior. Ditto for the GTR.
Rear or all wheel drive is of secondary importance to me.
<cough>Lfa </cough>

I know, too much $
Old 12-25-11, 10:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think the turbo s is totally awesome. for the r8 i think it's more about the cool factor rather than the real deal (performance). around 200k, how muchi s the vantage v12?
V12 Vantage is an even $200k MSRP with the black carbon package.
Old 12-25-11, 10:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

the turbo s starts at 160k, with options probably touching 170-180?
I was just gonna say that, Turbo S is range from $160k~$190k, depending on options. But then those are MSRP, actual purchase price could be lower.

but then, i personally think the porsche is easier to maintain
Turbo S required the least maintenance, but then is also the least exotic looking among cars in that price range.
Old 12-25-11, 10:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Is 2012 tubo s still 997.5? With a 180k purchase, why don't you wait till the 991?

Edit, never mind, just checked that 2012 is 991! Is it available already?
2012 Turbo S is still a 997. 991 Turbo is at least 2 years away, even the 991 Carrera is not at the dealer yet.

991 Carrera is not on the street yet, I would know, people live around me buy these cars instantly and they hit the street. Even the 1st ever in the U.S., 1 of 5 Veyron Super Sport Record setting edition (orange wheels) landed in my city and I saw it instantly on the street...........crazy.

Last edited by BNR34; 12-25-11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 07:29 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the current 911 Turbo S ( one of my dream cars btw), now and when the new model comes, trade it in, if you want to.
Old 01-23-12, 08:46 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Update: I recently pulled the trigger, and ordered my Turbo S a few days ago!! It was supposedly the last special order available for the 997 Turbo S, this will be one of the last 997 Turbo S's built.

So, here's the list of items I added in addition to all the standard equip (PDK, 6 CD stereo, Nav, Chrono package, Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB), etc) :

-Guards red exterior
-Full black leather interior, with red stitching throughout
-Heated Sport Adaptive Seats
-Clear taillights
-Turbo 2 19" wheels, with full color Porsche crests
-All lower side skirts/spoilers/rear apron painted body color
-Stainless steel illuminated door sills
-Sirius XM radio

As you can see, I kept it simple. Anticipated delivery date 4/15/12. I AM STOKED!!!

Last edited by ISF_GG; 01-23-12 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

woohoo!!!!! HUGE HUGE congrats!!!!! that's a monster

Quick Reply: I'm considering a 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S