Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus or Jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 02:23 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus or Jaguar?

I'm new to the forum and am 16 years old I got a 2004 Lexus Rx330 last Christmas and have loved it! I got it at 80,000 miles even, and just hit 93,000 miles. I have had one issue with the emission control unit which triggered the check engine light along with the VSC and Trac off lights... For a car with 93,000 miles minor things are expected but this car has just been amazing. I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 from my uncle with 70,000 miles for a price that is untouchable as I would just be giving him what he owes on it. I love my Lexus but I'm concerned over the miles, should I get rid of it before the 100,000 mark or stick with it? I do have concern over the jaguar and being expensive to repair but Lexus isn't cheap either... Any opinions appreciated!!
Old 12-22-11, 02:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Gavinw35.

Regarding the costs of repairs, you can always take your RX to a Toyota shop for repairs. Even an independent shop which works on Jaguars is going to be expensive.

At 93K miles, have you done the timing belt change yet on your RX?
Old 12-22-11, 03:17 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Yes we have a 2005 Jaguar s-type 4.2 and at 42,000 miles we had a coolant leak that also shorted out the a/c and were out $1,400... Lexus wanted $1,200 to do the 90,000 mile service and I have not had the timing belt replaced... I was thinking about skipping to the 95,000 mile service.. How bad would that be to do?
Old 12-22-11, 03:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Take your RX to a local Toyota shop for a quote. Same engine as the V6 in a Toyota Highlander. Oil changes and all can be done there. Just get it done before 100K. Many timing belts come off their vehicles looking fine, however, why push it.
Old 12-22-11, 03:55 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Will do, I have no idea what I want to do with this car, one part of me wants to just pay it off and keep it as long as possible but the other part of me wants to trade it while i can make some money... The longest we had ever kept a car before was 53,000 miles on out 2008 Cadillac CTS so the price of the servicing is shocking... Has anyone else gotten the 90,000 mile service for less than a $1200? Another question I have would be about the tires. My front tires seem to be wearing really quickly how long do your guy's tires usually last?
Old 12-22-11, 04:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

At $1200, not knowing what all is included, I would say is way, way too much. Many things you can do yourself. Some are unnecessary. Also, do not forget to take to Toyota for a quote on your services. Will be a fraction of the price. Sure, you will not get a loaner car and a car wash. However, those are easily dealt with as needed.

If you use the search forum and check the 2nd Generation RX section you will find a number of threads which talk about the 90K service and costs. A more general search you will turn up things such as how much individuals were charged to install the cabin filter alone, which is easily purchased from your local auto parts store and installed in under 5 minutes. Note: it is on the other side of the glove box which drops down out of the way for install. After the timing belt/water pump at 90K, the next expensive item will be plugs at 120K. Ask about that pricing as well.

As for tires, again, I do not know what you have on the vehicle. Your tires may have a low tread life rating. A lifetime alignment will cost a few dollars from a place like Bridgestone/Firestone Auto Service or Goodyear. But, you will have that for as long as you hold on to the RX. A good set of quality tires will set you back some dollars. No way around that. Again, check the forums for thread discussions on tires. The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring is a current favorite amongst some if you have the 18" wheels. If you have the 17" wheels, then you might check the Michelin Latitude Tour. If you have access to Costco, that is another place to check out tires and prices for such services.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Your RX will last easily several hundred thousand miles as long as you keep it in good shape and keep up with the maintenance. At least you will not have a car payment to deal with in the meantime. And, you will have plenty of room to tote people and things around that you would not in Jag. Keep in mind that a Lexus is a luxury vehicle. It will cost you money to maintain. You just need to use some common sense and ask questions.

As they have moved this thread to a more appropriate location in the forums, perhaps others will chime in with suggestions.
Old 12-22-11, 04:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavinw35
I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 from my uncle with 70,000 miles for a price that is untouchable as I would just be giving him what he owes on it.
Used cars are worth what they are worth, they are cheap for a reason. Your uncle is not giving you a deal, that car just don't worth anything.

You are still young, you will find out eventually.

Just buy and do whatever that makes you happy and someday you will know what truely works for you.

Last edited by BNR34; 12-22-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 05:18 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That Jag would be a service nightmare....I would stay as far away from that as I can...as long as you keep up the correct maintenance on the RX and drive conservatively it will last you awhile. Welcome and don;t forget to search anything you are curious about. There is a lot of info in the 2nd gen RX forums that can really help you out.
Old 12-22-11, 05:33 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
That Jag would be a service nightmare....I would stay as far away from that as I can...as long as you keep up the correct maintenance on the RX and drive conservatively it will last you awhile. Welcome and don;t forget to search anything you are curious about. There is a lot of info in the 2nd gen RX forums that can really help you out.
+1 - I'd stick with the Lexus. With the Jag at 70,000 miles it's not going to be long before you start having to service that. The Lexus will run for a very long time if you keep it well maintained.
Old 12-22-11, 06:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't get the Jag, these were the worst Jags, extremely unreliable, poorly built (parts shared with fords) and very expensive to service. They are cheap for a reason.
Old 12-22-11, 07:09 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

When Ford owned jaguar, they were horrible.. My grandmothers 2003 xk convertible had all sorts of issues.. Now her 2009 has been awesome
Old 12-23-11, 01:57 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Exclamation Well Jaguar showed it's true colors.

Well I would like to give you all an update, Today in New Mexico we got 4-8 inches of snow and beings that the only car I have here is the XJ8 I took it to meet with a running group at 5 a.m by 6:30 when we finished the roads were covered with snow and I must say the Jaguar did great getting me home. Now I must say I guess my decision has been made for me, while backing out of my families restaurant onto a one way and one lane street the Jag's Gears got completely locked up and I guess for lack of a better word confused. When i Had stopped to go from Reverse to Drive I moved the gear shifter down to Drive like usual only the car was in nuetral, yet the gear shifters position was in the Drive setting.. So i moved the gear shifter back to park and then went to go back to drive and it would not move and was locked in the park position. However, it wasnt in park the car was in reverse while the shifter was in the Park setting. Well after blocking the one way street and standing in the snow for an hour the tow truck arrived to take it to the dealer to be worked on.. I must say even while getting hooked onto a tow truck it still was a beautiful car.. I believe the conclusion is that this XJ is not the one for me and I will continue to keep the Lexus Rx and Jaguar S-type we currently have. I wish I could post the picture but the forum wont let me
Old 12-23-11, 02:07 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Okay, so are you in Nevada (NV), or New Mexico (NM)? Your info seems contradictory...

Be thankful you found out the problem with the Jag now - before buying it. Those years are very problematic.

Big Mack
Old 12-23-11, 02:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't need to even read this thread or any of the replies.

The LEXUS all the way.
Old 12-23-11, 02:21 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

I live in Las vegas, but am visiting New mexico for the holidays, But this experience just makes me that much more thankful and appreciative of my Lexus, thats for sure!

Quick Reply: Lexus or Jaguar?