Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wrong way Hyundai meets Semi = oh damn

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 11:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wrong way Hyundai meets Semi = oh damn

Happened this morning on the Bruckner Expwy in the Bronx

A young woman driving the wrong way on the Bruckner Expressway was killed when she slammed head-on into a tractor-trailer in the Bronx early Thursday, police and witnesses said.

The victim, who was in her 20s, was heading north in the southbound lanes about 3 a.m. when the crash occurred, cops said.

Other motorists desperately maneuvered to avoid the wayward white 2011 Hyundai Sonata, a witness told the Daily News.

But the car rammed into a tractor-trailer in the middle lane near Middletown Road.

"She was coming the wrong way," said the rig’s driver, who did not want to be identified. "She hit me right in the front of the truck."

The man, who drives for a Framington, Mass., company called Costa, said he was on a run with his wife when they saw headlights coming at them.

"It happened very fast. There was no time to do nothing," he said.

The trucker said the doomed woman appeared not to notice or care that she was going the wrong way and made no attempt to get off the road.

"She was driving straight. The other cars were swerving around her," he said.

After the crash, glass and personal effects from the woman's crushed vehicle littered the roadway, including dozens of 4-by-6-inch photographs, birthday and graduation cards and a school tassel. There was also a signed 8-by-10 photo of Derek Jeter, two disposable cameras and an iPhone.

She had traveled at least a half mile in the wrong direction before the accident, cops said.

The impact caused the tractor-trailer to swerve to the left, hit a retaining wall and then plow to the right across three lanes, hit the guard rail on the righthand side and jack knife. The trailer went a few feet into the service road of the Bruckner, pushing the chain-link fence into parked cars nearby.

The truck driver and his wife were not hurt.

The demolished Hyundai came to rest in the left lane under the Middletown Road footbridge.

The woman, whose name was not immediately released, was taken to Jacobi Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

It was unclear if drugs or alcohol were a factor in the accident.

As police conducted their investigation, the southbound lanes of the Bruckner, near the split for the Throgs Neck Expressway, were shut down for more than four hours during the early morning rush, backing traffic up for miles.
NY Daily News
Old 12-22-11, 12:19 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I bet she broke up with her boyfriend or her husband cheated ? Whatever the reason is, I don't understand why endanger people that have nothing to do with your problems. RIP
Old 12-22-11, 12:27 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

sad story, RIP...
Old 12-22-11, 12:33 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that is truly a Truckers worst nightmare. he will probably find another profession now because of that. what a shame that happened to the young woman.
Old 12-22-11, 12:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like she was commiting suicide. Sad.
Old 12-22-11, 12:35 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Free iphone lol.

Wonder what happened, from the sound of it she just graduated high school?
Old 12-22-11, 12:53 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm Signed Derek Jeter 8x10, Maybe she had read this and felt duped.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...psBGJXpyHoMKSN
Yankees star Derek Jeter, one of New York’s most eligible hunks since his split with longtime gal pal Minka Kelly, is bedding a bevy of beauties in his Trump World Tower bachelor pad — and then coldly sending them home alone with gift baskets of autographed memorabilia.

The Yankees captain’s wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am kiss-offs came to light when he mistakenly pulled the stunt twice on the same woman — forgetting she had been an earlier conquest, a pal told The Post.

“Derek has girls stay with him at his apartment in New York, and then he gets them a car to take them home the next day. Waiting in his car is a gift basket containing signed Jeter memorabilia, usually a signed baseball,” the friend dished.

Getty Images
BOOBY PRIZES:Yankee batsman Derek Jeter, playing the field after a breakup, sends off his one-night lovers with a ride home — and a basket of signed memorabilia.
“This summer, he ended up hooking up with a girl who he had hooked up with once before, but Jeter seemed to have forgotten about the first time and gave her the same identical parting gift, a gift basket with a signed Derek Jeter baseball,” the pal said.

“He basically gave her the same gift twice because he’d forgotten hooking up with her the first time!”

Jeter, who fiercely guards his privacy to protect his All-American image and multimillion-dollar marketability, split with the gorgeous actress Kelly this summer and has been playing the field ever since.

The veteran shortstop usually shies away from the limelight, preferring stay-at-home parties with a tight circle of trusted friends.

“He normally doesn’t go out with girls. He will have them come to his house. He’ll have cocktail parties. His friends invite girls they think he’ll be interested in. He’s very shy,” another friend explained.

“He’ll occasionally take girls to a restaurant. He has a couple of restaurants that he goes to that aren’t trendy,” the friend said.

“He goes to Nino’s in New York. He used to go to Mustang Grill on the Upper East Side. I know he’s been dating multiple girls. He likes a hole in the wall, or he likes a place that his friends own. He’s very cautious. He’ll only go out on off-nights,” the friend said.

Afterward, Jeter sneaks the beauties home for some heavy hitting.

“The girls go through the back-door entrance in the Trump World Tower to avoid the paparazzi,” the pal said. “He broke up with Minka in the summer and is definitely over her. He is playing the field.”

And while the parting gift may seem cold, signed Jeter memorabilia sell like hotcakes on the Internet, with an autographed baseball fetching hundreds and even thousands of dollars.

Neither the Yankees nor Jeter’s reps immediately returned messages for comment

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1hIah2T38
Old 12-22-11, 12:56 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

A guy did that in Toledo a few years ago. He was hammered drunk and drove like 2 miles on the wrong side of the road before he killed an entire family in a head-on collision. At least this incident only killed the driver at fault. Those other cars that saw her and got out of the way should really appreciate life right about now.
Old 12-22-11, 01:11 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05EX
Hmmm Signed Derek Jeter 8x10, Maybe she had read this and felt duped.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...psBGJXpyHoMKSN
Nice find Watson..... this may end up haunting Jetter if she was one of his conquered trophies.
Old 12-22-11, 01:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

at 3 am she must have been higher than a kite . Who the hell in that age group is driving home at that hour not slightly intoxicated. lol
Old 12-22-11, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Sayonata?????

Old 12-22-11, 01:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love everyone's speculations.

No matter what, I hope that this girl rests in peace. I hope her family finds comfort and healing. And I'm glad that no one else was seriously injured.
Old 12-22-11, 02:09 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sayonata?????
Funny and sad at the same time.

I won't speak ill of the dead, other than what a shame.

I am just wondering, if any of the people that got out of the way actually called the police to say what was going on?
Old 12-22-11, 03:22 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a reminder to drive safe and be aware of your surroundings at all times....
Old 12-22-11, 03:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Driving late at night is one of the most dangerous things any of us can do. At least here in L.A., I'd estimate nearly half the drivers are intoxicated or returning from bars/clubs.
I once saw a head-on on the 405 at 2 AM and it looked like a bomb had gone off on the freeway. There was debris for a quarter mile.

Quick Reply: Wrong way Hyundai meets Semi = oh damn