Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari repair bill-'97 Ferrari 355 Spyder with a miss...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 10:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Not true, most people consider the NSX as an exotic and that car is as cheap to maintain as a Civic.

I won't imagine the LFA would be expensive to maintain either.
That is even more of a reason why I love the NSX. Exotic Ferrari looks, mid-rear engine driving dynamics/experience, 348/355 beating performance but its reliability and build quality is on another level and would never cost anywhere close to repair or maintain as a Ferrari or other European exotic.

That bill is ridiculous, not far off from how much the whole car is worth. I can't imagine anyone paying a bill like that, I am sure the person could find someone who would do the work for much less.
Old 12-25-11, 02:59 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In all fairness it looks like some very very major work. The engine seems like its being rebuilt. This is also a bit scary considering the mileage
So, it's an 11 year old Ferrari, with rotted engine mounts, total engine rebuild, CV joints, alternator,worn throttle cable, etc. Sounds like it was driven hard. $47K for 11 years of smiles and exhilarating driving experience! Lets break the numbers down. So by my math, thats 24K miles @ $1.95 per mile of pure fun. I think most of us could manage to put aside 2 bucks a mile for Ferrari maintence like that. Of course the purchase price is another issue entirely.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 12-29-11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 01:07 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
So, it's an 11 year old Ferrari, with rotted engine mounts, total engine rebuild, CV joints, alternator,worn throttle cable, etc. Sounds like it was driven hard. $47K for 11 years of smiles and exhilarating driving experience! Lets break the numbers down. So by my math, thats 24K miles @ $1.95 per mile of pure fun. I think most of us could manage to put aside 2 bucks a day for Ferrari maintence like that. Of course the purchase price is another issue entirely.
When I worked for a BMW/Ferrari dealer this was fairly common, Ferrari pretty much restores the cars to like new, not to get off topic, my Pediatrician who I talk to every now and then has spent 1000's on his 87 911 Turbo, just to rebuild the Turbo was $6000
Old 12-26-11, 01:37 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Joeb427
5/08 repair date..
Mileage is 24,362
Originally Posted by Joeb427
Here's one on Ebay.
The repair bill was from 5/08.
Probably worth a bit more then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-F3...ht_8151wt_1165
You do realize it's the same car, right? Check the VIN from the receipt vs. the one on Ebay. She had it rebuilt just to sell? It looks like she didn't pay for it, just left it and the mechanic is selling it now to cover the costs.

And regardless of being able to spend $50K on a weekend, if the car was missing that badly, it should have been in for repairs long before it did $55K worth of damage. That driver is incompetent.

Big Mack
Old 12-26-11, 01:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
You do realize it's the same car, right? Check the VIN from the receipt vs. the one on Ebay. She had it rebuilt just to sell? It looks like she didn't pay for it, just left it and the mechanic is selling it now to cover the costs.

And regardless of being able to spend $50K on a weekend, if the car was missing that badly, it should have been in for repairs long before it did $55K worth of damage. That driver is incompetent.

Big Mack
and it looks like a salvage car...

Salvage cars for sale

"This vehicle is placed in West Chester, Pennsylvania. Are you looking for a used Ferrari F355 car or Ferrari F355 parts to restore your car in West Chester, PA at a great price? You can buy this Ferrari F355 vehicle from a Pennsylvania dealers, online auctions or through private treaty. Save money on buying this used Ferrari F355 car!"

http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.inf...97-NzM3MDQ1Mzg
Old 12-26-11, 02:21 PM
whooper20
Driver

worse than a school loan :0
but it does make me want to be a ferrari mechanic, 5 jobs a year and im set
Old 12-26-11, 03:37 PM
Getrag
Rookie

I guess the maintenance costs for GT-R's don't look too bad after seeing this?
Old 12-26-11, 11:50 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they left off the jar of Vasoline on that repair bill...
Old 12-28-11, 08:36 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
How much are those cars worth nowadays? I'd hate to see a repair bill on a more expensive Ferrari like an F40, F50, or Enzo. Ouch.
40-50k

So basically the cars worth nothing.
Old 12-28-11, 12:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Getrag
I guess the maintenance costs for GT-R's don't look too bad after seeing this?
yup!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-11, 07:48 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

wow I bet his butthole was hurtin after gettin that
Old 12-29-11, 05:02 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
And regardless of being able to spend $50K on a weekend, if the car was missing that badly, it should have been in for repairs long before it did $55K worth of damage.
Yup. An exotic car that is miss-firing is in need of immediate repair. I would not have driven that car even one more mile once I noticed something wrong with the engine. I would have had that car flatbedded to a mechanic pronto.
Old 12-30-11, 05:22 AM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn thats a freaking big price tag on repair. i would just put the car in my garage and sell it like 30 years later as a classic restore project and go buy a new 2is
Old 01-01-12, 05:00 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In 1966 a member and sponsor of our Texas Spokes Sports Car Club bought a "used" 1963 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder (SWB) for about $8500. (recall that's in '66 dollars, or about $60K today). The market for used Ferraris in those days wasn't strong as there wasn't much interest in "old" cars, just the newest. There wasn't a college student with blood in his veins who wouldn't have sold a significant part of his anatomy for that Spyder, one of the most beautiful vehicles Scaglietti (or anyone else) ever penned . . .

He worked on it and drove it to meets for a few years, but after I left college and lost contact, I often wondered what became of that gorgeous work of automotive art. With a 276 hp version of the 250 V-12, it was as lightweight as it was quick, and the sound of that classic V-12 alone was worth every penny spent. That same engine wound up in the vaunted GTO later the same year. If the California Spyder looks familiar, it was one of these (actually two or three) that appeared in "Ferris Bueler's Day Off" - the one that was wrecked was a knockoff fiberglass body on an MG chassis . . . just in case you worried about it.

Only 45 of these California Spyders were ever built and I understand recently James Coburn's example sold for $10,894,900. There's a good reason for spending the bucks on maintenance and repairs, even though they're pricey. Now the owner needs to drive it sparingly and keep it in prime condition; it could represent a great investment one of these days. I sure hope our old friend hung onto his Ferrari - otherwise he's kicking himself right about now . . . .
Old 01-01-12, 10:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Only 45 of these California Spyders were ever built and I understand recently James Coburn's example sold for $10,894,900. There's a good reason for spending the bucks on maintenance and repairs, even though they're pricey. Now the owner needs to drive it sparingly and keep it in prime condition; it could represent a great investment one of these days. I sure hope our old friend hung onto his Ferrari - otherwise he's kicking himself right about now . . . .
Ferrari made a total of 11,273 F355, it will never worth much.

Maybe the 599 SA Aparta will worth millions some day with only 80 produced, but not the 355..............

Quick Reply: Ferrari repair bill-'97 Ferrari 355 Spyder with a miss...