Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Is An Exotic?

Old 12-20-11, 07:33 PM
RyanR317
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See sig pic.
Old 12-20-11, 09:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yet another Subjective subject but a good one OP!

IMHO I think its the Badge, Price tag, and Prestige that garner the "Exotic" label. A degree of exclusivity reserved for these elite class of cars based on their aesthetic and performance prowess.

Of course my own double standard goes against cars such as Corvettes and GT-Rs which may be bargain Supercars, but are in a way crude. Exotics to me tend to have poise, elegance, and pedigree.

The OP brings up a good point about such cars as the Rossion Q1. Which due to its exclusivity, relatively lower price tag, uncommon nature? or even other low volume or one-offs should also be considered Exotic by nature.

My break down of Exotics for example:

High Performance Cars:
Chevrolet Corvette
Nissan GT-R
Dodge Viper

Supercars:
Lamborghini Gallardo
Mclaren MP4-12C
Ferrari 458
Lexus LFA
Jaguar XJ220
Aston Martin DBS
Ford GT

Hyper Cars: The Pinnacle of Automotive performance (speed, braking, laptimes etc..)
Pagaini Huayra
Bugatti Veyron
Koenigsegg Agera
Gumpert Apollo
SSC Ultimate Aero (or now Tuatara)

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-21-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-20-11, 10:56 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

I think there's a distinct difference between exotics and supercars. Cars have been labeled both and one over the other.
Old 12-20-11, 11:23 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I think an exotic car is simply any car designed to maximize appearance, exclusivity, performance and/or luxury with little or no regard to cost. The resulting cost would usually be many times that of a "normal" car.
Old 12-21-11, 12:59 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

What about a Lotus?
Old 12-21-11, 01:30 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for ya, what makes a woman exotic?
Old 12-21-11, 05:00 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
It depends on what you consider exotic and "how many" would be considered mass produced.
- I don't consider most American supercars exotic because many use LS-based engines with boost
- I wouldn't consider a Morgan an exotic. It uses a mass-produced BMW V8
- Zonda uses a MB made engine not mass-produced in any MB car, but limited to very rare, performance models produced in very small numbers.
- Saleen produces their own engine for the S7, so yes it's still an exotic

My criteria is my opinion, though not perfect and certainly not shared by everybody!
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to define exotic.
I can't do it either.

Maybe this will end as a "you'll know one when you see one" type of thing.
That would be too subjective but subjectivity rules the car world anyway.
Old 12-21-11, 05:08 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yet another Subjective subject but a good one OP!

IMHO I think its the Badge, Price tag, and Prestige that garner the "Exotic" label. A degree of exclusivity reserved for these elite class of cars based on their aesthetic and performance prowess.

Of course my own double standard goes against cars such as Corvettes and GT-Rs which may be bargain Supercars, but are in a way crude. Exotics to me tend to have poise, elegance, and pedigree.

The OP brings up a good point about such cars as the Rossion Q1. Which due to its exclusivity, relatively lower price tag, uncommon nature? or even other low volume or one-offs should also be considered Exotic by nature.

My break down of Exotics for example:

Bargain Supercars:
Chevrolet Corvette
Nissan GT-R
Dodge Viper

Supercars:
Lamborghini Gallardo
Mclaren MP4-12C
Ferrari 458
Lexus LFA
Jaguar XJ220
Aston Martin DBS
Ford GT

Hyper Cars: The Pinnacle of Automotive performance (speed, braking, laptimes etc..)
Pagaini Huayra
Bugatti Veyron
Koenigsegg Agera
Gumpert Apollo
SSC Ultimate Aero (or now Tuatara)
Good post!
I'd prolly change the "bargain supercars" heading to High Performance Cars.
Old 12-21-11, 07:00 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

For me, it is simply something rare and desirable but not easily attainable for most people from either the original or competitor sources. This is obviously a relative concept, so the definition would change from one person/group to another.
Old 12-21-11, 01:27 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exotic to me, is a very rare car; something I don't see very often, if at all. But it has to be a very impressive car, whether in the looks (exterior or interior) or performance. That way, an AE86 would not be considered exotic, even though I hardly ever see them. And a Rolls Royce, which isn't very impressive on the outside, have absolutely exotic-looking interiors, which would qualify it for exotic territory.

From the list you provided, the 911, XKR, and GTR are not exotics. I see them around too often to be considered. R8 is borderline, but I'll let it pass because I still stare every time. The SLS and Q1 are definitely exotics.
Old 12-21-11, 01:35 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
If I can't afford it, then that's an exotic. For example, Tata Nano.
I lol'd

I think low volume has a lot to do with it and price. For example a Rolls Royce or a Bentely is exotic even if they do not look like a supercar.
Old 12-21-11, 03:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

My take on this is:

An exotic is a car cannot be determined without looking at the brand as well.

For the purpose of Lexus, which is what this forum is about, the LFA is not a exotic car. A supercar yes!

Access to the brand is the deciding factor, most people cannot access the Ferrari, Lambo or Bugatti.

Any car company can design and build a $400,000 supercar. Does it make it an exotic? NO

If Ferrari started offering a $29k hybrid (Lexus CT) fighter. What would we say about that?

Is the LFA a supercar? Yes. Price and rarity alone does not make the LFA an exotic.
Old 12-21-11, 03:19 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Wrong... price doesn't necessarily make cars exotic.

Partially correct. What if some guys crapping their pants when they see their favorite dream cars such as Ford GT500 or Corvette Z06? They are not exotic.

Guys, girls, attention please.

I'll make a list of cars that are exotic. I will update the database accordingly.

It has to be specific model not only the brand for some manufacturers. If you want to submit a vehicle that you want to add as an exotic, post it here. It has to be approved by me as I am the judge. The approval process could take a few days as I am not always here on the web. Oh and it needs to be production car, not racecar.

The following list is already approved by me.

- Ascari A10 / KZ1 / KZ1-R
- Bugatti EB110 / Veyron 16-4
- Corvette ZR-1
- Dodge Viper
- Ferrari F355 / F430 / F450 / Italia 458
- Ferrari F40 / F50 / Enzo
- Honda NSX / NSX-R
- Jaguar XJ-220
- Koenigsegg CC8S / CCR / CCX / CCX-R / Agera R
- Lamborghini Countach
- Lamborghini Diablo / Diablo SV
- Lamborghini Gallardo SE / LP560 / Balboni LP550 / LP570 Superleggera
- Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 / 670
- Lexus LF-A
- Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren- McLaren F1
- McLaren F1
- Mosler MT900
- Pagani Zonda series / Huayra
- Porsche 911 series / 959 / Carrera GT
- ...... more to come. Pending.

Nope... Nissan GTR isn't exotic. Nice try....

I'd agree with everything on your list except the 911 series and ZR-1. The average person probably won't know the difference between a 911 turbo, gt3, gt2, or a base 911, and the same can be said about the ZR-1 and base corvette. And the 911 or corvette are both too common to be considered exotic
Old 12-21-11, 03:26 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

In my opinion an exotic must be:

1. Very expensive(at least $120,000 in the U.S.)
2. Rare enough
3. Very powerful(500hp or more in today standard)
4. Coming from a company that also builds other exotics(see 1. 2. and 3.)

Of course these are the new exotics's minimum thresholds. For the ones in the 90s or earlier, price and horsepower/top speed could be slightly lower.
Old 12-21-11, 03:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm not saying what is or isn't. I never thought of the GTR as an exotic but upon further thought, why isn't it? Here's my list of cars that could be but aren't always thought of as exotics:

Porsche 911
Rossion Q1
Jaguar XKR
GTR
SLS
Audi R8

I definitely want to hear your thoughts on this.
Qualifiers are:

1, Exotic-ness of the brand name.
2, Price.
3, Rarity.
4, Engine sounds it makes.
5, Exotic material and construction.
6, Styling.

In a nut shell, is the presence and prestige of the car.

If you think about it, performance is cheap, there are tons of non-exotic car under $100k that is crazy fast, Nissan GTR and Z06.....to name a few. But very few cars under $100k that makes that exotic noise. Also there are quite a few exotic car that is pretty slow.

Nissan GTR is not an exotic car because of the brand, then the noise it makes, and most importantly that Japanese ricey styling really kills it, it looks cheap, it just looks like an expensive ricer.

On the other hand, a Lotus Elise is consider an exotic even though it is not expensive at all. It is due to the Lotus exotic name, the exotic styling, you rarely see one on the street and they actually manage to make that Toyota 2ZZ motor sounds exotic.

The most confusing one is Porsche 911. Obviously the Carrera and Carrera S are not exotic at all, even though they are pretty pricy now a days, I think the Turbo is really the cheapest Porsche that can consider as an exotic. The GT3/GT2 RS are definitely exotic because they are expensive, rare, exotic styling, exotic sounds..............etc.

There, I summed it up, exotic-ness is determined by price, rarity, brand name, styling and sounds it makes.

Exotic cars are all about posing, in order to pose, it must have the proper highend brand name, styling and sounds to attract attentions, it must be rare so it is precious and not common and it must be expensive so the owner can brag about it.

From your list, the Q1 is an exotic because it is rare and look exotic, XKR is not because it is too common and too cheap, XK-RS is an exotic though. SLS and R8 are exotic.

I think the R8 is the cheapest car that can be consider as an exotic except the Lotus Elise, in my mind, $140k MSRP is about the cut off point.

Last edited by BNR34; 12-21-11 at 03:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Is An Exotic?