Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

-->> my Lexus ISF has been in for 1 service appointment 74 days! <<---

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 10:54 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Exclamation -->> my Lexus ISF has been in for 1 service appointment 74 days! <<---

Is this reasonable? I brought my Lexus ISF in to the dealer (under warranty) for an engine noise, a knocking sound that has been heard in a small number of other ISFs at idle. I have already brought the car in 2 other times, the first was 3 days with no fix (although problem was video documented). The second time they had the car for 21 days, this time they changed a fuel system part, it didn't fix the problem. Now the third time, my car was dropped off on Oct 7th, and I STILL do not have it back (74 days). 98 days total.

My car has been at the dealer for over 1/4 of a year to have the engine fixed.

They are currently rebuilding the cars engine. Problem was failing valve springs (sound familiar?) but they disassembled the entire motor to diagnose.

I have run out of patience. What kind of customer service is this? I'm pretty sure the entire car was built in a week.

In my opinion, the dealer should be replacing, not rebuilding if they cannot complete in a timely fashion. The decision to rebuild was made by the Lexus Corporate District Manager that releases parts. They determined to rebuild rather than replace.

What are your thoughts? Is this good customer care? Is this what you expect from Lexus (or ANY manufacturer?)
Old 12-20-11, 11:10 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How long have they been rebuilding the engine? 74 days is a LONG time if that's what they have been doing the whole time. I'm guessing since your car is a 2008 that's the only reason why they didn't lemon law it when you brought it in the 3rd time. I would be pretty upset if my car spend 98 days of the year at the dealer. Actually i would have sold it...lol

I hope they at least provided you with a loaner car for these 98 days...it seems like Lexus corporate is taking care of you but the dealership maybe lagging on the repairs.
Old 12-20-11, 11:22 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Every step has been drawn out. It took weeks for the diagnostic, measuring parts, checking to spec. It took weeks for a field tech to come and look. It took weeks to get parts (often the wrong part ordered and reordering), it is taking weeks to assemble. I am pursuing a buyback. Corporate DOES NOT communicate well. Through the mail only, no phone numbers or email address provided. They are slow to respond and do not include the owner in any part of the decision. Horrible customer service on all fronts.
Old 12-20-11, 11:23 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call up corporate and inform them they are paying the car payments for the 3 months that its been in the shop that you've been unable to drive it at a minimum.
Old 12-20-11, 11:24 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Every step has been drawn out. It took weeks for the diagnostic, measuring parts, checking to spec. It took weeks for a field tech to come and look. It took weeks to get parts (often the wrong part ordered and reordering), it is taking weeks to assemble. I am pursuing a buyback. Corporate DOES NOT communicate well. Through the mail only, no phone numbers or email address provided. They are slow to respond and do not include the owner in any part of the decision. Horrible customer service on all fronts.
http://www.lexus.com/contact/
Old 12-20-11, 11:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lemon law it!
Old 12-20-11, 11:28 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Call up corporate and inform them they are paying the car payments for the 3 months that its been in the shop that you've been unable to drive it at a minimum.
Paid cash for the car. No go.

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Those contacts get you no where. You get an operator with a pretty voice that talks nicely to you, but really knows nothing. They take notes and save the record of your call. I've even had them tell me they would have a supervisor call me back and it never happens. I call back and they pulled the notes from the last call, not a mention of a request for a supervisor to call and the "notes" were not even close to what I explained to them. Their customer service is a joke. All they try to do is make you THINK someone is listening to you, in reality they are just a pretty voice (did I mentioned that EVERY customer service rep is a young woman?).

Lexus is a marketing machine, with little care of actually customer satisfaction in my experience.
Old 12-20-11, 11:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Paid cash for the car. No go.

Those contacts get you no where. You get an operator with a pretty voice that talks nicely to you, but really knows nothing. They take notes and save the record of your call. I've even had them tell me they would have a supervisor call me back and it never happens. I call back and they pulled the notes from the last call, not a mention of a request for a supervisor to call and the "notes" were not even close to what I explained to them. Their customer service is a joke. All they try to do is make you THINK someone is listening to you, in reality they are just a pretty voice (did I mentioned that EVERY customer service rep is a young woman?).

Lexus is a marketing machine, with little care of actually customer satisfaction in my experience.
Go Lemon law attorney and that will get their attention.
Old 12-20-11, 11:42 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Go Lemon law attorney and that will get their attention.
Purchasing the car is a contract to give up your rights and follow what it written in the warranty. The warranty stipulates that you first: deal with customer service, Second: arbitration, Third (last) go to trial.

I'm at 98 days and only on step 1.

I am waiting for the car to be back in my hands (repaired) before hiring an attorney. To much they can do to sabotage my case while the car is with them. People stop being "friendly" once lawyers are hired.
Old 12-20-11, 11:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Purchasing the car is a contract to give up your rights and follow what it written in the warranty. The warranty stipulates that you first: deal with customer service, Second: arbitration, Third (last) go to trial.

I'm at 98 days and only on step 1.

I am waiting for the car to be back in my hands (repaired) before hiring an attorney. To much they can do to sabotage my case while the car is with them. People stop being "friendly" once lawyers are hired.

True but 3 repair visits on the same problem is a slam dunk.
I wouldn't want the car back even if it's repaired.
Get an Lemon Law attorney and you'll never see court and I think you'll win quickly.

Wait,it's an '08 which can change things.I thought it was new or newer.
Old 12-20-11, 11:49 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Lemon Law is very specific. It must occur in the first 18 months or 18,000 miles. My first engine complaint was at 20,000 and I'm not sure the months. However I can dig deeper and see if my alignment problems (pull to right) or the squealing brake problems (both attempted to fix many times) qualify as they were earlier problems.
Old 12-20-11, 11:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Lemon Law is very specific. It must occur in the first 18 months or 18,000 miles. My first engine complaint was at 20,000 and I'm not sure the months. However I can dig deeper and see if my alignment problems (pull to right) or the squealing brake problems (both attempted to fix many times) qualify as they were earlier problems.

Yeah,I edited my post above.
I didn't see the car was an '08.
That changes things.
Old 12-20-11, 11:54 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have they told you what the delay is? Are they having issues getting parts?
Old 12-20-11, 12:05 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would try calling (800)25-Lexus, if anything ask for Michael Ludwig. I worked with him and he was great! Or just send them a tweet and they should help. I think you should see some free services at the least, but more likely they would be willing to put you in a new car.

I found corporate to be very responsive to my problems and they were quick to come to a resolution. I started with a tweet where I mentioned them. (@Lexus). Within 20 minutes I had a tweet back saying that they weren't satisfied with what my dealer did either and to expect contact shortly. Within the next day they tracked down my car, my dealer, and my phone number without any of my own input and gave me a call. They were determined to come to a conclusion that both of us would be happy with.
Old 12-20-11, 12:22 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J.P.
Have they told you what the delay is? Are they having issues getting parts?
They have outsourced some of the work as they are not well equipped to do engine rebuilds. They had a 2nd party measure the engine parts to find what was out of spec. They have one guy they trust to do the build. He has had to source tools to do the work, they have run into delays getting parts. They have ordered wrong parts and had to re-order parts, etc.
Only ~7,000 ISFs have been built. No one knows how to work on them, most is being done over the tech phone line, also slows the process.

Originally Posted by lucasb7
If I were you I would try calling (800)25-Lexus, if anything ask for Michael Ludwig. I worked with him and he was great! Or just send them a tweet and they should help. I think you should see some free services at the least, but more likely they would be willing to put you in a new car.

I found corporate to be very responsive to my problems and they were quick to come to a resolution. I started with a tweet where I mentioned them. (@Lexus). Within 20 minutes I had a tweet back saying that they weren't satisfied with what my dealer did either and to expect contact shortly. Within the next day they tracked down my car, my dealer, and my phone number without any of my own input and gave me a call. They were determined to come to a conclusion that both of us would be happy with.
Interesting idea of Tweeting, as it is very public, I'm sure they pay a lot of attention regarding their reputation. I'll try it. Thanks

Quick Reply: -->> my Lexus ISF has been in for 1 service appointment 74 days! <<---