Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

-->> my Lexus ISF has been in for 1 service appointment 74 days! <<---

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 10:54 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

This is crazy! I've never heard of a dealership holding onto a car for that long. It drove me crazy when my SC300 was at the dealership for two weeks, but I couldn't imagine not having the car for 100+ days.

Good luck with the whole situation.
Old 01-02-12, 11:05 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't pick up the car till you come to some sort of agreement with the dealership & corporate for compensation. 100+ days is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 01-02-12, 01:18 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Supposedly it will be ready for pick up tomorrow. I miss the car but really don't want that one back. I'm still awaiting Lexus Corporate to make a decision and so is the dealer. They (dealer) don't want to offer me anything if the car is being bought back. It's chicken and egg. We'll see I Lexus does the right thing. If I end up with a 2012, I will be happy. For those that are counting tomorrow will be 112 days, total.

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 01-02-12 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 02:04 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thats a long time
Old 01-02-12, 03:01 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion the best choices for you would be either:
1) They buy back at KBB Excellent Condition Retail for current mileage
2) They do a long-block replacement (in which case you have a new engine in which case you have nothing to worry about (and your resale probably goes up because you can prove you have a new engine with low miles).

I've got to say that my own experience with Lexus Corporate hasn't been very good. They are typically great at putting pressure on dealer, but not so great at coughing up and taking responsibility.
Old 01-02-12, 03:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
In my opinion the best choices for you would be either:
1) They buy back at KBB Excellent Condition Retail for current mileage
2) They do a long-block replacement (in which case you have a new engine in which case you have nothing to worry about (and your resale probably goes up because you can prove you have a new engine with low miles).

I've got to say that my own experience with Lexus Corporate hasn't been very good. They are typically great at putting pressure on dealer, but not so great at coughing up and taking responsibility.
they will never change the complete engine, doesnt make sense... it is as if someone breaks your window and you want complete door replaced. You also dont get engine assembled, but individual pieces.

i would still pressure them to give him 2012 at discounted price and good value for his current one.
Old 01-02-12, 03:17 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they will never change the complete engine, doesnt make sense... it is as if someone breaks your window and you want complete door replaced. You also dont get engine assembled, but individual pieces.

i would still pressure them to give him 2012 at discounted price and good value for his current one.
Strange. When my LS1 in my 04 GTO dropped a valve and threw a rod through the block, i got a brand new Longblock no questions asked.

I would be livid at the situation and would have demanded a brand new motor.
Old 01-02-12, 03:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I didn't know that. I know BMW does long-block replacements. Don't see why Lexus shouldn't do same - as a customer I would be more willing to accept a long-block replacement than a month engine rebuild (not only does it save the customer time, but it reduces the probability of mechanic error which raises long term reliability concerns).

If they stick to short-block replacements in situations like these, I think they are effectively forcing the customer to trigger a buy-back which I imaging may cost Lexus more than a long-block replacement.
Old 01-02-12, 04:09 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Lemon Law buy backs actually use a value formula more favorable than market value. They use purchase price minus a calculated "use fee". Then they add in all the taxes you paid, registration, service costs, tires, aftermarket, etc. They also should calculate in what it will cost them to go to trial, loose, and pay both parties legal fees. Plus bad PR, loss of a customer, etc. we will see how this goes.
Long blocks are not available for the ISF. Only short blocks and unassembled heads and valvetrains.

If anything should be taken away from all this is that Lexus customer service has slipped and they have proven that they are unable to uphold their warranty contract that states "repair or replace in a reasonable time frame" the courts have determined that "a reasonable time frame" is 30 days. Well here we are at 112...
Old 01-02-12, 08:03 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About the only way I wouldn't have raised heII would be if they gave me another ISF as a free rental.
You have a lot more patience than I do.
Old 01-03-12, 07:59 AM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get a completely assembled engine if you order a long block (part # 19000-38320) minus intake manifold, exhaust manifold, wiring harnesses, injectors and spark plugs.
Old 01-03-12, 09:31 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Supposedly it will be ready for pick up tomorrow. I miss the car but really don't want that one back. I'm still awaiting Lexus Corporate to make a decision and so is the dealer. They (dealer) don't want to offer me anything if the car is being bought back. It's chicken and egg. We'll see I Lexus does the right thing. If I end up with a 2012, I will be happy. For those that are counting tomorrow will be 112 days, total.
It's now Day 112, any update?
Old 01-03-12, 09:56 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't been called to pick it up yet. Interestingly enough on Jan. 1 received an email from the dealer asking me to take a survey regarding my "recent service" at Lexus. I guess they really wanted it off the books by the end of 2011. SO I don't really know if it is ready yet. Last week they told me they were test driving it, trying to get the alignment dialed in since the sub frame cradle was removed for taking the engine in/out. The car previously had the pulling to the right problem for the sub frame being misaligned from the factory.

On a test drive they heard my squealing rear brakes (ANOTHER reoccurring problem with my car) and said they will be addressing that too before I get the car back.

We'll see if I actually get it back today...

Still no word from Corporate.

I am nearing the end of my factory warranty (30 days), and there has been no comment regarding extending my warranty to make up for all the time it sat with Lexus.

Worst customer service experience ever.
Old 01-03-12, 02:58 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Default Too good to me true

I knew it, it was too good to be true. The car is not ready today. Supposedly it spent most of the day with the detailers and they have not yet addressed the squealing rear brakes. It's only been 112 days, when would they have had time to work on the brakes? (sarcasm). Supposedly there is a new part number for the rear pads, they are going to try those and see if they reduce the noise.

We'll try again tomorrow.
Old 01-03-12, 04:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Lexus is waiting for you to pick up the car, so they can avoid taking responsibility unless the repair is bad. They will say - yes it was a long wait, but you have the car back now so there is nothing they can do.

I will be very surprised if you hear from Lexus before you get the car back. I have seen this before.

Quick Reply: -->> my Lexus ISF has been in for 1 service appointment 74 days! <<---