Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: 2013 Chevrolet Impala caught testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 09:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: 2013 Chevrolet Impala caught testing

2013 Chevrolet Impala caught testing

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-4680870/

After languishing in mediocrity for far too long, the 2013 Chevrolet Impala can't come soon enough, and our shooters managed to snag a camouflaged prototype – both inside and out – for the first time.

Based on the long-wheelbase version of the Epsilon 2 platform, the reimagined Impala is set to be powered by a choice of either GM's 3.6-liter V6 or its recently revealed 270-horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder. An eAssist version is also likely to be offered soon after its debut.

Inside, we get a glimpse of a reworked interior that's more plush than the current model, complete with leather dash and trim, tasteful aluminum accents and a sizable nav screen front-and-center.

The exterior is harder to gauge, but the ride height is noticeably lower, the roof and windshield more raked and the front fascia has taken on a pointed, Camaro-esque shape. We should know more in the coming months before Chevy takes the wraps off in the first half of the year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/14/2...aught-testing/
Old 12-14-11, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

the reimagined Impala is set to be powered by a choice of either GM's 3.6-liter V6 or its recently revealed 270-horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder.
As far as I'm concerned, a turbo four is out of place in this car. Impalas are supposed to be smooth, tranquil cruisers, and a turbo four would probably not have the refinement needed for a car of this class. Nor would it probably have the ultimate power needed for an upcoming Impala SS model.

So, Chevy.......stick with the V6, and consider a boosted/turbo V6 or small V8 for the SS model (like on the last SS).
Old 12-14-11, 09:24 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as I'm concerned, a turbo four is out of place in this car. Impalas are supposed to be smooth, tranquil cruisers, and a turbo four would probably not have the refinement needed for a car of this class. Nor would it probably have the ultimate power needed for an upcoming Impala SS model.

So, Chevy.......stick with the V6, and consider a boosted/turbo V6 or small V8 for the SS model (like on the last SS).
I'm with you. Leave it a base model V6 to compete against Taurus (is slated to get an Ecoboost 4), Avalon, Azera, and leave the turbo 4 in the 2013 Malibu
Old 12-14-11, 11:09 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I do like the stance of the car, the minimal wheel gaps give the car a sporty look (relative to the current generation of Impala).
Old 12-14-11, 11:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jwong77
I do like the stance of the car, the minimal wheel gaps give the car a sporty look (relative to the current generation of Impala).
no doubt about it, this trend is being seen on other large sedans such as the new Hyundai Azera, Ford Taurus, and soon to be redone Toyota Avalon
Old 12-15-11, 12:19 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my favorite cars is the LT1 96 SS...I wish they would go back to their roots!!!!
Old 12-15-11, 12:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
no doubt about it, this trend is being seen on other large sedans such as the new Hyundai Azera, Ford Taurus, and soon to be redone Toyota Avalon
The current Taurus has a huge wheel gap. One of it's biggest flaws IMO.
But I agree, small gap is one of the simplest ways to make a car look good.

In the pic above, the test car is either purposely weighted down or carrying test gear. This is common on mules. Sadly, I doubt Chevy will release a production familly cruiser that low.
Old 12-15-11, 09:29 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this won't be such a yawn as the mid 2000's and the latest version..I wish GM would head back to their roots a little bit more. Make stylish cars with decent interiors and good reliability.
Old 12-15-11, 09:54 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamls2
One of my favorite cars is the LT1 96 SS...I wish they would go back to their roots!!!!
they should sell with a TT 502 option
Old 12-15-11, 11:11 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The current Taurus has a huge wheel gap. One of it's biggest flaws IMO.
But I agree, small gap is one of the simplest ways to make a car look good.

In the pic above, the test car is either purposely weighted down or carrying test gear. This is common on mules. Sadly, I doubt Chevy will release a production familly cruiser that low.
Sorry I meant the general styling has gotten more sporty. Yes the Taurus has a sizable gap
Old 12-15-11, 11:34 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Totally agree. V6 should be the minimum on it. A turboed 4-banger is gonna just feel out of place on a (primarily) highway cruiser like this. You might be fine once you're up to cruising speed, but go to pass traffic, and it'll feel like the car is working harder than it needs.

For all the "wheel-gap" people, who really cares?
Sure, we here might, but enthusiasts are not really the target audience for this market. The Impala/Taurus/etc.. is aimed at a much more pedestrian car buyer, where the vehicle is more an appliance than a status symbol, design statement, canyon carver, or what have you. Mom's gonna buy it to haul groceries. Grandpa is gonna buy it to get to his doctors appointments. It's primarily a car for the average Joe, for utilitarian duty.
Old 12-15-11, 11:41 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Wheel gap hasn't been too important too me. Yes, small wheel-gap looks good. But i've seen cars look just fine without it. What does look ridiculous though is the newer 07+ GM pickups. HUGE wheel gap.

THe Impala needs a v8. My dad still tells me stories about his 67 Impala SS.