Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 10:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
If the production model looks anywhere close to it without all the aero body kit, it makes the NSX and Ford GT looks kinda....plain.
funny to see so much excitement about a car that's not available appearing in a video game that's not yet available.

and even without aero, if the side profile were anything like this, the front wheel suspension travel would be about half an inch - so don't bother going over speed bumps or well, any bumps as it will loosen fillings although a benefit will be breaking up kidney stones.

Old 02-02-15, 08:26 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would a road car have the same clearance as a race car? Interesting thing is, the vision gt car is also designed by Calty.
Old 02-03-15, 02:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
funny to see so much excitement about a car that's not available appearing in a video game that's not yet available.

and even without aero, if the side profile were anything like this, the front wheel suspension travel would be about half an inch - so don't bother going over speed bumps or well, any bumps as it will loosen fillings although a benefit will be breaking up kidney stones.

GT6 is available of course... and of course (;P), aero matters since thats what brings low ground clearance
Old 02-03-15, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
GT6 is available of course...
i meant the 'concept' is not available for the game yet.
Old 02-22-15, 06:43 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

These renders have shown up from Japanese magazines (not particularly skillful though). States it is due in November 2016, unlike previous 2017 reports. Considering how long ago the LC was likely signed-off, I believe we should've seen something by now. It seems these Japanese sources get info, but most people never find it quickly enough.

Old 02-22-15, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I hope the real production car will look a lot better than these renderings, these renderings are less attractive than even the RC F, which I like a lot btw, but I expect a lot more for the LC.
They should just make the production LC as close to the concept as possible, remember, the concept car got rave responses almost universally ......
Old 02-22-15, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I hope the real production car will look a lot better than these renderings, these renderings are less attractive than even the RC F,
Well, that purple paint job sure isn't bad.
Old 02-22-15, 11:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that purple paint job sure isn't bad.
But unfortunately it's not a paint job, it's computer generated color
Old 02-22-15, 04:54 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I hope the real production car will look a lot better than these renderings, these renderings are less attractive than even the RC F, which I like a lot btw, but I expect a lot more for the LC.
They should just make the production LC as close to the concept as possible, remember, the concept car got rave responses almost universally ......
Actually that rear render looks like a better iteration of the LF-LC rear. The front render, however, looks unfortunate.
Old 02-22-15, 04:59 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i still like this render the best.

Old 02-23-15, 02:42 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus MUST evolve their design language for flagship models to a point, so they can make a specific statement for the upper end and set a newer tone for Lexus design. It isn't ideal for subordinate models to be the setting the tone for technology and design in a luxury model range.

I understand that the LC had to wait for the 5LS platform and requires a great deal of development work behind it as well. The secondary LS facelift already adopted the Spindle Grille to be in line with current models. The next LS and the 4RX are the first successors to replace existing Spindle Grille models. Fancier headlights with a bigger grille is not going be ideal nor is delivering something that looks exactly the same 5 years later, then falls behind lesser Lexus siblings with newer brand cues.

The top-down approach is best in that regard. Look at how the 2013 Avalon was fresh and influenced the 2014 Corolla and 2015 Camry facelift. I'm not saying entirely do away with the Spindle Grille, but moderately revolutionize styling to a point that other future Lexus models can trace their cues back to the flagships.

Uyetthoven stated many months ago that the frozen design of the MY2017 LC is 90% similar to the 2011 LF-LC design, so hopefully that means it has been further modernised as well and not just merely productionised. Even the 2012 LFA took a different trajectory in 2008 from the '07 Concept, due to various delays possibly outdating the original LFA production design aesthetically.

For that matter, does anyone think that Edward Lee (exterior designer of the LF-LC Concept) also got to work on the production model? It possible that he did and went back to Nagoya to help finish it up, meaning that Calty could've been responsible for it overall. Or did a subsequent internal design competition instead award the production proposal (pre-freeze) by another designer from ED2 or Nagoya HQ?

Unfortunately, if someone does not transfer to another department at a company, their work is assigned to someone else. If that happened, hopefully it was done under Edward Lee's supervision anyway.
Old 02-23-15, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
i still like this render the best.

^^^^ yes same here
Old 02-23-15, 12:36 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmk1
Lexus MUST evolve their design language for flagship models to a point, so they can make a specific statement for the upper end and set a newer tone for Lexus design. It isn't ideal for subordinate models to be the setting the tone for technology and design in a luxury model range.

I understand that the LC had to wait for the 5LS platform and requires a great deal of development work behind it as well. The secondary LS facelift already adopted the Spindle Grille to be in line with current models. The next LS and the 4RX are the first successors to replace existing Spindle Grille models. Fancier headlights with a bigger grille is not going be ideal nor is delivering something that looks exactly the same 5 years later, then falls behind lesser Lexus siblings with newer brand cues.

The top-down approach is best in that regard. Look at how the 2013 Avalon was fresh and influenced the 2014 Corolla and 2015 Camry facelift. I'm not saying entirely do away with the Spindle Grille, but moderately revolutionize styling to a point that other future Lexus models can trace their cues back to the flagships.
+1

When the C-Class came out after the S-Class everyone says "Wooow.. a baby S-Class. I want one!", but when the A8 came out after the A4 of the same generation everyone was like "yawn.. looks just like a bigger A4". The order matters.
Old 02-23-15, 12:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
^^^^ yes same here
lets hope it looks this good... long hood and aggressive rear end make it a stand out.
Old 02-23-15, 03:07 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmk1

Uyetthoven stated many months ago that the frozen design of the MY2017 LC is 90% similar to the 2011 LF-LC design, so hopefully that means it has been further modernised as well and not just merely productionised. Even the 2012 LFA took a different trajectory in 2008 from the '07 Concept, due to various delays possibly outdating the original LFA production design aesthetically.

For that matter, does anyone think that Edward Lee (exterior designer of the LF-LC Concept) also got to work on the production model? It possible that he did and went back to Nagoya to help finish it up, meaning that Calty could've been responsible for it overall. Or did a subsequent internal design competition instead award the production proposal (pre-freeze) by another designer from ED2 or Nagoya HQ?

Unfortunately, if someone does not transfer to another department at a company, their work is assigned to someone else. If that happened, hopefully it was done under Edward Lee's supervision anyway.
Top-down or bottom-up approach is for me the chicken-and-egg problem. Take the C Class vs. S Class, the S Class does not feel any special, it is just like as if you bought something think it was precious and rare and the next morning found out everybody has got that too. What a disappointment. In the case of A4 vs. A8, you know you get the same but only better.

The thing is that the more recent product of the same generation will always be fresher and have something newer. Look at the 7 Series, it does not feel outdated compared to the rest of the range, because the rest just did not advance. Look at Mercedes, the new GLE just does not feel fresh, because the A and C Class are so much more advanced.

Finally, what it more important is not the direction of the development stream, but that the top range product should be as timeless as possible. Current LS does that very well. Give it equally powerful V8 Turbo as the competitors, and I'd take it over any German luxury sedan.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News