Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 08:09 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

So was the plan to not have an SC replacement and the LF-LC just forced them back into the space?
Old 07-17-14, 09:03 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Production Lexus LF-LC Will Be Almost Identical To Concept: Report

Some great news.

Production Lexus LF-LC Will Be Almost Identical To Concept: Report

Fans of Lexus’ stunning LF-LC concept car from the 2012 Detroit Auto Show will be glad to know that the production version, which is tipped to revive the SC badge, will look almost identical to the concept. The information was revealed by Lexus’ European chief Alain Uyttenhoven, who said he’s seen the designs for the production version and that the LF-LC concept was anything between 90 and 100 percent representative of the car.

It appears one of the biggest fans of the car is Toyota’s own chief Akio Toyoda. He “doesn’t want the production car to look any different from the concept,” Uyttenhoven told Autocar during a recent interview.

Although originally intended as a concept to preview future styling themes, rave reviews for the LF-LC concept persuaded managers to put it into production. Rather than use a platform being developed by Toyota and BMW for new versions of their respective Supra and Z4 models, Autocar is reporting that the production LF-LC may use a shortened version of the Lexus LS flagship sedan’s platform. The British publication is also reporting that the production LF-LC will be launched in 2016, which means we’re likely to see it list as a 2017 model.

Two powertrains are expected to be offered: a hybrid setup and a conventional V-8. The hybrid setup is said to be the more potent, with previous reports suggesting more than 500 horsepower will be delivered from it. Other technologies expected to appear on the car is a 10-speed automatic from Aisin AW, multi-material construction, and torque vectoring.

Key rivals will be the Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe and Maserati GranTurismo, meaning pricing will likely fall somewhere between $100,000 and $130,000.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...port?fbfanpage
Old 07-17-14, 10:33 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Two powertrains are expected to be offered: a hybrid setup and a conventional V-8.
Great news, but if Lexus has any intention to succeed outside of America they'll need to offer smaller engine variants such as a 3.5L V6 or a 3.5L V6 hybrid. Ditto to the next-gen LS.
Old 07-17-14, 11:40 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LC-F/SC-F will be ridiculous. What engine can Lexus even provide for it? Dual-turbo V8? Or will they go for a mass-produced version of the LFA V10?
Old 07-18-14, 05:49 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

A new model every year makes sense in regards to Lexus plans of course. I wonder if this refers to redesigns or entirely new additions to the Lexus line-up? Based on reports:

2016: Redesigned CT, LS (XF50 platform?), new SC, redesigned GX (180-based?), and redesigned LX (300-based). Quite excessive.

2017: New LS-F and SC-F or just new SC and LS-F.

2018: Redesigned ES and GS (Q4 2018).

2019: A redesigned IS(maybe?) or new GS in Q1 2019.

2020: A new RC and NX for MY2021.

As for the TX, I do not know really. Lexus has been also testing a new 4dr vehicle, that resembles the L10 somewhat, but with a different roofline. Who knows what that is supposed to be.

Originally Posted by LexFather

So positive.

FYI, it never was expected to make production, it debuted as a styling exercise and to showcase a possible future power train. When it debuted and public reaction was overwhelmingly positive only then did Lexus evaluate building it and eventually green lighting it.

So please, understand the situation before jumping to conclusions and making it seem like Lexus is 100 years behind.

Seems on the internet people want cars to debut in a year after its seen.
Do you base this on the personal encounters you've had with Lexus personnel or information released to the press? It seems oddly coincidental that the LF-LC project was started 1-2 months before SC430 production ended and the amount of rumours heard between 2010 and 2011 regarding an SC replacement.

It sounds also similar to how Akio Toyoda wanted to cancel the L10 GS midway through development, likely taking a similar "time-out" to re-assess the model's future or a more thorough replacement. Obviously, the L10 was satisfactory enough and a new SC back then (or before he arrived) wasn't.

No one sensibly expects anything at this level, to debut after it's just been seen, as the 2-3 years from the LF-LC concept debut to production unveiling isn't an outlandish expectation (2014-2015) an is long enough. That ended development in November 2011 and now requires 4.5 to 6 years (if due in 2017), despite the fact that much of the conceptualization/ideation phase was already done.

Studying production possibilities and feasibility of an established vehicle design direction and general concept should not even take more than 12 months. Engineering and developing that established concept with modern CAD & CAE technology (i.e. CATIA) for production, should not require more than 36 months. Only unless delays are encountered or shared components with other models are not ready (i.e. 5LS).

The fact that MB's SLS went from design concept stage in April 2007, to unveiling in September 2009 (Jan. 2010 prod.) is telling of this possibility. Similar applies to the new AMG GT, taken from concept approval in 2012 to scheduled 2015 production. Both weren't publicly shown as concept show cars, but managed to not take another 5-6 years from an existing concept. Unlike Daimler, I figure due to the massive gap between the LFA and other Lexus models, more investment is required (despite RC-F). Whether bespoke or not.

Also, many of the Lexus "concepts" have been dishonestly called "styling exercises", when obviously previewing a future model or confidential future company plans. Like the LF-NX concept, which the 2015 NX design already existed well beforehand by 1 year and planned since 2009. Looking at the LF-CC and RC, the same can be said about them to a degree (Lexus lied about it in late 2012).

How does one know whether or not they lied about the LF-LC being "not intended for production" as well? The general shape and contours of the LF-LC echoed a production feasible design at best levels, unlike many others we've seen. Lexus did not just slap together something outlandish (see Nissan 2020 and MB Vision GT). They knew very well what intentions they had, as early as 3 years ago, when most the LF-LC concept came together.

The main exterior changes I can see happening may concern the taillights and the headlights gaining an enclosure. Much of the early LF-LC discussion concerning it hinted at another 2-3 years, not 5 years. If due in 2017, it is getting up there with the LF-A and LFA, which entered the public eye 6 years before arriving in showrooms in 2011. It is not on-time anymore. I hope the 2016 date is genuine and not more miscommunication between the media and company personnel.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
So was the plan to not have an SC replacement and the LF-LC just forced them back into the space?
I find more than a coincidence that the LF-LC came to fruition when SC production ended and a few months before LFA production. Possibly, it has just taken longer than expected and with some of the disasters in the last 4 years, I can see how that happened. I think this almost happened to the GS, but it met Toyoda's approval very quickly. His predecessor failed terribly and by the time Akio Toyoda arrived in 2009, an SC successor would've required 4-5 more years if no iota of development had been done.

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Thank you, as unlike prior sources, this is much clearer judging Herr Uyttenhoven's commentary. Also, apparently depending on the source, the production SC design has been frozen and the full-scale design models obviously past done already and not something yet to be completed. This stupid source told me otherwise, as if it was months ahead.

I have to wonder if it is due in either 2016 or a rather belated 2017, as usually Toyota rarely spends more than 2 years on that phase of development. Usually European automakers inefficiently maintain that (3-4 years) and not even BMW has invested that amount for about 15 years. Still might be 2017, as 2016 is a very busy year for both Toyota and Lexus regarding 4WD and RWD-based models.

One gets such a headache from the press making up stories and calling it from "unnamed" sources, when 50% of the time not even truth. Similar to some idiots have named our upcoming Jaguar CUV Q-Type and XQ, which isn't accurate one bit. 2016 makes sense, as the SC has entered production development already. 2017 seems excessive.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-18-14 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Correction: "belated 2017"
Old 07-18-14, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^^ great post.

cliff notes:
2-3 years from concept to production is reasonable.
5-6 is not.
Old 07-18-14, 08:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think part of the long-ish development time that we are seeing with the next SC and LS is new powertrains. Lexus is now in the middle of developing new families of FI V6s and V8s, and the company does not take reliability, durability or NVH/smoothness very lightly. When I was reading about the NX, I think something stated that the engine took 6 years to produce? Lexus is taking no changes with products like the LS and SC, even if that means stretching out delivery to be sure of it.

Same with next-gen hybrid tech.

Lexus' engine lineup is mostly long in the tooth now, so this type of overhaul is expected. It's frustrating that we're having to wait on new products, but I'd rather wait and get something great vs something rushed and suffer from issues like, say, high pressure fuel pumps, a la BMW.
Old 07-18-14, 08:29 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I think the sedan test mule based on the GS will end up being a A7, CLS, and 6-Series Gran Coupe competitor.
Old 07-18-14, 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
... I'd rather wait and get something great vs something rushed and suffer from issues like, say, high pressure fuel pumps, a la BMW.
good post, and agree! still tough to wait though.
Old 07-18-14, 09:54 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ great post.

cliff notes:
2-3 years from concept to production is reasonable.
5-6 is not.
I think 4-5 years is pretty normal.

S2000 concept debuted in 1995 at the Tokyo Motor Show. Production beginning in June of 1999.

Camaro concept debuted in 2006 at Detroit. It later went on sale in spring of 2009 as a 2010 model year vehicle.

The Corvette Stingray concept debut in 2009 at Detroit. We didn't see a production version until January of 2013.
Old 07-18-14, 10:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I think 4-5 years is pretty normal.

S2000 concept debuted in 1995 at the Tokyo Motor Show. Production beginning in June of 1999.

Camaro concept debuted in 2006 at Detroit. It later went on sale in spring of 2009 as a 2010 model year vehicle.

The Corvette Stingray concept debut in 2009 at Detroit. We didn't see a production version until January of 2013.
I wouldn't use any GM products as a typical timeline example. It's widely known almost all their projects got pushed back during the bankruptcy proceedings. The new pickup trucks were even delayed.
Old 07-18-14, 10:30 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I wouldn't use any GM products as a typical timeline example. It's widely known almost all their projects got pushed back during the bankruptcy proceedings. The new pickup trucks were even delayed.
Well we still have Honda and their S2000

I believe even Tada san has said it takes around 5 years to develop a Toyota sports car.
Old 07-18-14, 10:40 AM
zema
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Production Lexus LF-LC to Get 600-HP Twin-Turbo V-8 Variant

Word on the Tokyo street is that there’s a Lexus LF-LC Coupe mule running around Japan packing a 600-hp twin-turbo version of the upcoming RC F’s 5.0-liter V-8. That power rating may be on the conservative side. We heard back in March of 2013 that Lexus was overwhelmed by the positive response to the swoopy coupe and decided to go on and green-light it. Until now there has been little to no information on the striking concept, other than the fact that the production version will most likely be called SC. There still isn’t much, but our sources confirm the monstrous twin-turbo V-8 will be the SC F. There’s a potent hybrid LF-LC/SC H whose powertrain will probably be the fruits of the BMW joint project and make around 500 hp. There will be a third engine, a base naturally aspirated V-8, that will produce a bit less power than the hybrid (450 hp) but get worse fuel economy.

While Lexus is working hard to preserve as much of the concept car as possible, the SC will surely share its platform with the new, fourth-generation LS. While the LS has traditionally been something of a rival to the Mercedes S-Class, people I spoke with at Lexus have been hinting that the new big Lexus will in fact target the sportier end of the segment -- think Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera. Further proof that Mercedes ought to go ahead and write, “Can’t Touch This” on their new S-Class. Regardless, the new LS will look to take on the S63 AMG by also using the 600-hp twin-turbo V-8 in what will be called the LS F. You can expect the LS 600hL to return (probably as the LS H), with the same Bavarian-flavored hybrid setup found in the SC H. The base LS will get the 5.0-liter V-8. The new LS will launch in 2016 as a 2017 model. You can also expect to see some sort of GS F, which is needed as the GS already ships with either a V-6 or a hybrid system, neither of which makes enough power for the chassis. Expect the GS F to get the RC F’S naturally aspirated V-8 and get cranked up to right around 500 hp.

Here’s the best saved for last. In 2017 you can expect to see a super version of the RC F packing the 600-hp twin-turbo V-8. Think of it as an Infiniti Eau Rogue-fighter with a price tag to match -- about $120,000. However, since Johan de Nysschen has left Infiniti, it’s doubtful the Eau Rogue will see the light of day. So think of the Super RC F as a C63 AMG Black Series-fighter. Seeing as how the Benz cost about $110,000 and “only” made 510 hp, $10K more for 600 hp (or more) makes sense. We’re hearing RC FS as the name, with “FS” becoming Lexus’s answer to AMG’s Black Series and (Audi) Quattro GmbH’s RS. It’s looking like things are about to get interesting at Lexus.
Source: http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_produ...8_variant.html
Old 07-18-14, 10:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Lexus ever did a 600 HP "Nurburgring Edition" (or something similar), RC F, I think I would fall out.

Old 07-18-14, 11:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seems speculative from the article, based on nx in 14 and rc in 15, concluding because a new model each year until 2020 that the lf-lc must come next in 16.

either way, it will be an awesome addition to lexus' line-up.
most people think the lf-lc came out and lexus didn't think of putting the car into production, at least not until the overwhelming public response. there were also words that lexus wanted to look at the gs sales before considering this (don't ask me why), etc... this is all what lexus publicly did and what most believe.

but within, of course lexus doesn't do things without a reasons. although not full speed, but when lexus put out the lf-lc, they already had some talk and plan about the car going to reality, what car it will be, how they position, etc....

at that point, i already got words that it's going to be another 5 years or so before the real car comes. the main reason why (at least from my understanding) is not because lexus just sat there and wait for public's response before saying "alright that's do it", but because it's actually a pretty early concept prototype, meaning lexus just got off their feet on the car.

if you think about really designing a car from nothing (or say borrowing a platform from another car), 6-7 years to make the car reality is not too crazy. as i mentioned in another thread, the w222 s class, production last year, the car actually was all shaped up before 2009.

so this is my insight and info on the lf-lc and its timeline. no doubt i want the car to come asap, but it was more like "put out the concept as early as possible? or wait?"

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News