Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I figure some here might enjoy my AE86 build (A lot of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 11:58 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Finally got the hardware for the mudflaps in today (along with the weatherstrips for the windshield side mouldings). The rear mudflaps seem to fit quite well actually, I was impressed:

Also got the transmission bushing swapped out. Toyota does not sell the bushing separately for anything past mid-84, but the dimensions of the bushing remained the same with only some small differences. I would obviously have preferred the newer bushing, but it was worn so I'll take what I can get:

Got a correct label for my fuel lid to match my GZE swap and finally got my trunk decals as well, looking forward to getting them installed, probably tonight:

New rear axles, new rear bearings, new studs. I'm hoping that I no longer have wobbly wheels!

More to come!

Jeff
Old 05-24-15, 01:56 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

So I got the car back together, the new axles helped quite a bit with the vibration, as did the new transmission output bushing, though I do still have the vibration under load above 95km/h. Now that I have eliminated these other vibrations, I feel that once I get rid of the one under load the car will drive quite nicely. I am also experiencing some excessive LSD noise/chatter from the TRD 2-way that I never had last year, I've been running the same fluid the entire time and it was dead quiet last year but now it is quite noisy. I am going to try some other fluids/friction modifiers and see what I can get working. I hope that the LSD is okay.

The factory shifter is now back in the car, though it didn't have the boot on it and my original boot was torn, so I am going to need to get a new boot for that as we

Also of note was the Driven 2015 show here in Calgary this weekend. I spent a ton of time getting it ready as did Josh G. from Stampede Toyota and my buddy John and I brought home the award for best restoration, which was definitely a fantastic feeling to be recognized for what I've done with the car.

Jeff
Old 10-28-15, 07:08 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

The year goes on, I try to fix vibrations and show up at other car shows. Decent.

I figure some here might enjoy my AE86 build (A lot of pics)-ths4unh.jpg

I got a set of Falken Azenis RT-615K 195/60R14 tires for the car in an attempt to fix that last bit of vibration in the car and it turns out that one of the wheels is actually bent. I am getting it repaired now, however I will also be looking for another set of Intra wheels as well. Both to replace it, as well as to have spares. Spare wheels are always a good idea.

I've also decided that I don't think the TRD engine and transmission mounts are for me. I will likely hang onto them just to have, but am going to swap out to new OE mounts. I am not entirely sure though, so maybe I'll swap back once or twice down the road, lol.

But yeah, I'm still trying to find that vibration and am going to pull the rear end apart this winter. It's got to be something in there, it's just got to be. I'm suspecting something to do with the pinion bearings, but I'm not entirely sure. Recently I remembered that when we were assembling the differential with the TRD LSD, I had also bought a TRD solid pinion spacer and shims, but we were unable to use it because the spacer was actually too tall to fit. We ended up just using a crush sleeve instead. Thinking about it I am now wondering if there were actual bearing issues that we didn't realize or if I got the wrong bearings in the box, or I don't know, but I need to find out.

Also, another small update is that I found what I think is going to make the front end of the car look a lot better. I have had a new kouki Trueno emblem sitting in the package for years and years but never wanted to use it because my car is completely badged as a Corolla GT-S. I wanted to find something that would work and look good but say "Toyota" instead of "Trueno", well unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what I want exists from Toyota and I am looking into other options (like 3D printing something), but in the meantime this was the closest I could find, and I think it should look pretty darn good, even with though it's a chrome emblem. (Comparison beside a zenki emblem.)

I haven't mounted it yet, but I will soon I hope.

Jeff
Old 10-28-15, 07:13 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Really nice build! Your car looks amazing
Old 10-28-15, 10:52 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I come back to this tread once in a while just to admire your work!! Speechless and wonderful! And the attention to detail is just crazy.
Btw my friend has a 85 GTS hatchback that I want for the longest time, but he's not selling it at all, well, must be patient as I waited 3 years to buy the 93' mr2 from him lol.
Old 10-30-15, 11:08 PM
OkiFD3S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God, I love this. I had one in college and could never explain to anyone why it was so awesome. It was just ... fun.
Old 10-31-15, 12:21 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

congrats on the awards... well deserved!