Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I figure some here might enjoy my AE86 build (A lot of pics)

Old 09-14-13, 12:29 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will that sealer they're putting in the rear quarter panels prevent future rust from happening?
Old 09-14-13, 01:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

It should as much as it does on any new car, I guess. They're applying it quite liberally and in a few more places than originally had sealer on the car.

Jeff
Old 09-14-13, 02:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

looks like they're a great body shop.
Old 09-14-13, 11:10 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like they're a great body shop.
They've done a few things for me over the past couple of years and I've always been happy with the work they've done. They listen to me and take their time, I can't ask for much more than that really.

Jeff
Old 09-16-13, 03:42 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Great rebuild, lot of time and love went into piecing this back together.
Old 09-25-13, 12:37 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

So it's been a tad busy at the shop lately, so my car's been getting worked on a bit slowly, but it's almost ready to leave the body shop so I can start reassembly. The hood has been reclearcoated, the trunk was repainted and they've installed a bit of the glass and got the blackout tape on the door b-pillars. I think the quarter glass should be going in today or tomorrow, so I hope I can get it back on Friday or Saturday. Then I can start the long process of reassembly next week.

I've got new window mouldings coming in today and I've also ordered a bunch of other bits and pieces (clips, screws and cushions, etc.).

Looking forward to seeing more parts installed on the car, sorry about the dust!

Jeff
Old 09-26-13, 05:05 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

She's comming along nicely.
Old 09-29-13, 07:06 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Looking great, Jeff! You inspire me to get to my car's bodywork and paint project. I look forward to seeing your car rolling!
Old 02-08-14, 01:05 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

In the spirit of keeping this thread active and awesome, here's a picture of the car from just before it snowed last year and ruined my fun:

More to come this spring!

Jeff
Old 03-17-15, 07:13 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

Update please ��
Old 04-18-15, 10:17 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I've got some stuff on the go with the car at the moment and am currently driving it.

I mostly just drove it last year, working on the Lexus and Land Cruiser. This year will be more AE86 focused.

Updates will come soon.

Jeff
Old 04-20-15, 08:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Kudos to you on keeping that car alive. I thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing Jeff! Can't wait to see the final product.
Old 05-13-15, 03:24 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

So, it's been a while, last year I ended up driving the car a bit, I had all of my TRD bushings installed front and rear, as well as my TRD 2-way LSD. Taking out the RH rear axle proved to be quite the challenge, even by AE86 rear axle standards. I ended up removing the axle housing from the car and having a couple of techs at work go at it for a few hours with a bigger slide hammer. Eventually it came out, but not without some collateral damage (more on that later):

After doing some driving with it, I also determined that the front-mount intercooler is way too much piping between the throttle body and the intake manifold. I feel the best way to fix this is an air/water intercooler setup. It keeps the piping short, and allows me to customize the water lines without having to cut any holes in the body, and also allowing me to run complete factory under covers. I have the core, water pump and water reservoir, just need to get a heat exchanger and have it all fabricated.

Even after replacing my brake master cylinder, all my hoses (with stainless braided), rebuilding all the calipers and replacing pads and rotors all around, I am still a bit unhappy with the braking performance, so I have ordered a set of Endless SS-Y front and rear brake pads. They haven't arrived yet, but I do have a new set of front and rear shims for them. I ordered in a set of Japan-spec shims, as they use a shim on the inner and outer pad as opposed to just the outer on the North-American cars.

Took it out early this year for its first drive, still a bit too much gravel on the road, but I was very careful.

I also parked beside an Echo and enjoyed how much smaller (mainly shorter) my car was compared to the much newer "economy" car.

I also spent some time doing a 3-stage polish and wax on the paint. There were a few areas that had some hazing due to wetsanding dust nibs, and I wanted to take care of it. Just by hand, but it turned out extremely well, I think. The lighting wasn't the greatest when I took the pictures though.

There are a couple of remnants on the car from when I was young and poor, notably the outer tie rods which are aftermarket. Also when switching to the manual steering in the car, the new rack came with aftermarket inner tie rods and boots. Last time I was under the car I decided that was enough and ordered new inner and outers. I've also got a clunk in my steering when parked, though it has persisted through changing the rack, the inner and outer tie rods, the lower u-joint and the intermediate shaft, so I'm pretty sure it is either the upper joint or one of the bearings/thrust stoppers in the upper column. I will find it and fix it, but for now, new tie rods.

I spent the better part of the last six weeks trying to find all the vibrations I am feeling in the car, and found that my center support bearing was worn, as is the rear extension housing bushing on my T50 transmission. I replaced the support bearing and plan on replacing the bushing as well, though in the course of doing this inspection I also determined that not one, but both of my rear axle flanges are bent. I did hit a curb (though not hard) back in 2005 on the RH side, the same side that was a major pain to get out last year when installing the LSD. I also suspect some of my more "creative" attempts to get the axle out may have done more damage to it as well. Either way that doesn't explain the bent LH axle, but regardless, it was obvious I needed new axles.

So that's where it sits for now. I also have rear decals for the trunklid being produced to OEM standards, and may possibly sell them if there is any demand for OE-quality (actually OE qualtiy) reproduction decals.

Come see it at Driven 2015 on the 23rd in Calgary!

Jeff
Old 05-19-15, 02:00 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

So I've been cleaning up my front mudflaps this weekend, installed my windshield mouldings, and today my replica Euro-spec rear mudflaps arrived from Australia! They're quite decent quality, obviously I would much rather have OEM, but haven't been able to find the correct ones in good enough shape to make it worth buying them yet. I've been trying to get them for the better part of 8 years, haha. Still, I am quite happy with the quality of these flaps, I've yet to see how the fitment is, but once the new screws arrive I'll give them a go before the show this weekend.

Jeff
Old 05-19-15, 04:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

HATCHIROKU !!! Great job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I figure some here might enjoy my AE86 build (A lot of pics)