Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I figure some here might enjoy my AE86 build (A lot of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 12:22 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome thread... can't wait to see the finished product... Get back to work Jeff...
Old 02-17-12, 01:50 PM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember to show us your drifting of the AE86 afterward (j/k)
Old 02-17-12, 05:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Awesome
Builds more motivation to get into my project Celica.
Old 02-17-12, 10:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Hatchi -Ro- Ku baby. I love these AE86s.
Old 09-24-12, 10:37 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

Time for an update. It's hard to believe how long it's actually been since I dropped this engine in. Over 2 years ago. Madness. Inside the engine bay is basically done now. Couple small things need to be done, but I finally got everything mounted properly and some hose clamps and vacuum routing done.

The intercooler piping and air box pipe will both be powder coated satin black along with the intercooler brackets. The valve covers have been powder coated silver and the exhaust header heat sheild was ceramic coated. Crucially important also is that the throttle cable has been connected. With cruise control. I win.

Might make a new bracket to hold the igniter so it doesn't need to be removed to change the air filter. Future project after I get the piping coated.

I still need to wire up the bumper lights. It really does need the pipes coated, it will look so much nicer when that is done, IMO. You can see that the windshield has been removed. There was some rust under it that has been taken care of. I will be prepping it to be installed in the next little bit.

Did some adjustments and finally got the engine running and idling semi-smoothly. I need to get the exhaust gasket in there from the header to the catalytic converter. The intercooler pipe to the intake manifold seems to be hitting my sway bar sometimes when the engine is running. Need to replace that (really) old gas in the tank with some fresh stuff and I'm going to swap out the spark plugs. We'll see how it runs after that. Covers are back on since this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dufa2iIIzg
Put in some fresh 94 Octane gas (half a tank worth), and it is running pretty smoothly now. My silicone couplers to the intercooler are too long/weak to hold up to vacuum though, so they are collapsing when not boosting. My brother is coming next weekend to make the hardpipe sections longer so I don't need the couplers like that, can also fix the sway bar issue as well, maybe even get my exhaust positioned correctly? That would be a delight.

I am excited to hear how it will sound once the exhaust isn't leaking all over the place. Hopefully similar to how it did before. I don't want to lose that 4A-G sound that I loved so much with the bluetop. It is a very different setup, but I hope it is still at least mostly similar. Plus the whine from the supercharger of course.

Jeff
Old 09-25-12, 05:07 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats Jeff, you have yourself a nice project car. I personaly can't wait for my wife to finally finish her masters and buy a home so I can do something similar to my Integra.
Old 10-08-12, 06:00 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Finally got the windshield installed, which means once I get my IC piping fixed I can take it for an actual test drive with the new engine. Looking forward to that!

Top and bottom of windshield had some rust build up (see previous posts), so I took care of that and painted under where the glass will be mounted in preparation of the glass install:

Windshield adhesive dam kit. Adhesive strip didn't come attached from Toyota. First time I've ever seen it separate. I guess the 80's were tough times:

Adhesive backing applied to the dam kit before applying to the glass:

Preparing the windshield before installation. Adhesive dam kit applied, about to apply glass primer:

Glass installed in the car. The bottom seal isn't as clean as I'd like, but it is installed well, just a bit messy. The temperature was quite cool so the adhesive was acting differently than I am used to (I've only installed a few windshields):

Still worked out pretty cleanly. No excess urethane to speak of really:

AE86 alignment is easy with lower glass stoppers, however when installing the glass it is best to not rest it at the bottom before dropping the top, as it also caused some of the messy urethane at the bottom:

Clean top area. Nothing prepped for moulding installation yet, as that will wait until entire car is painted:

JDM yo! I guess I can remove it now:

Jeff
Old 10-08-12, 11:21 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Good lord, this is an awesome build. How were you able to locate so many brand new OEM parts? It amazes me Toyota would still have so many in inventory, especially quarter panels. I couldn't even get certain nuts and bolts for my Cressida since they had been long discontinued.
Old 10-09-12, 12:32 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal favorite build from a lot that I've seen on the internet. Extremely good job Jeff Lange
Old 10-09-12, 05:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice job, I think your next restoration job should be a vintage Corvette.
Old 10-09-12, 05:32 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Good lord, this is an awesome build. How were you able to locate so many brand new OEM parts? It amazes me Toyota would still have so many in inventory, especially quarter panels. I couldn't even get certain nuts and bolts for my Cressida since they had been long discontinued.
I'm sure you can probably get them if you look hard enough. I work at a Toyota dealer and Toyota/Lexus parts are my hobby. I can usually find what I need, though for an old car like this it is getting harder and harder. A lot of the parts I have are no longer available.

Originally Posted by ashtray
My personal favorite build from a lot that I've seen on the internet. Extremely good job Jeff Lange
Thanks.

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice job, I think your next restoration job should be a vintage Corvette.
Not really my thing, heh. Not even sure I'd do another car, while I do enjoy the challenge of finding parts and learning to do things, etc., I also hate having to deal with old car issues and rust, etc.

We'll see I guess.

Jeff
Old 05-08-13, 06:13 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

An important moment in the build of my car has arrived: date booked at the body shop for the final body work and paint, dropping the car off at the end of the month. Expect glossy black goodness.

I'll make sure I can take pictures of the body work along the way, maybe stop by the body shop every now and then or have them send me pictures. So nothing really to post yet, but I'm really excited, and there will soon be a supercharged GT-S driving the streets of Calgary. Prepare your body.

Jeff
Old 05-08-13, 06:44 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, the AE86 has been for 20yrs now and you still got a lot of love !
I predict your future year project would be the new 86 turbo 400hp with Bunny kit , lol
Old 05-09-13, 12:11 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Truth be told if I didn't have my IS250, I would have an FR-S, 100% absolutely.

Jeff
Old 05-09-13, 11:55 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

been following this thread for years
cant wait to see it out of the oven, all finished up

Quick Reply: I figure some here might enjoy my AE86 build (A lot of pics)