Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice with my short list

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-11, 04:02 PM
knighru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice with my short list

Hey all .. I've been a long time reader of this forum but first time poster. I have enjoyed the conversations on the various auto manufacturers and figure I'd reach out for some help/advice.

So - the dilemma. Time for a new car. Currently have a 2003 mazda 6i with about 100k miles on it. I have narrowed down my choices to the following. I've added some short pluses/minuses for each.

- 2012 Camry Hybrid XLS with leather/moonroof/etc (can get it for invoice which is 30,100): PRO: mpg, good relability, good value for the money. CON: it's a camry and I think I will miss the handling of my mazda (which was quite good to be honest), it is in its first year of the cycle.

- Acura TSX. PRO: decent styling, still a bit sporty, good tech, decent mpg. CON: smaller backseat room than my current vehicle, is it really an upgrade from a fully loaded accord?

- Volvo s60: PRO: volvo finally got their exterior styling to be attractive, safety features, decent mpg for the engine. CON: how often do 5-cyl engines succeed longterm? smallish backseat.

- Infiniti G25. PRO: nice styling, v6 power without being 'too much' power like the g37. nice tech, well laid out interior, impressive handling. CON: RWD which worries me b/c I live in the northeast and we get snow (and I don't really feel like having another set of tires in my garage. mpg is not impressive at all (20/29).

- Audi A4. PRO: in terms of look, this is my favorite of the bunch. CON: worried about repair costs post-warranty period, premium fuel required.

Other friends of mine have told me to either wait since I can't decide or buy a slightly used vehicle. I'd like to stay under $35k after TTL. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by knighru; 12-11-11 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 05:02 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have to buy it right now I would say wait until you're sure. But if you have to buy it now my vote is for the Audi.

Also I have a question, and I'm just curious. Why are there no Lexuses in your list? You could get an AWD IS. :P
Old 12-11-11, 07:52 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg0126
Also I have a question, and I'm just curious. Why are there no Lexuses in your list? You could get an AWD IS. :P
I agree. IS250 awd should be on your list. You can get a great deal on one this month. Acura also has a sub-TSX sedan coming out in March/April that is supposed to be somewhat sporty, like the Integra, so you might want to wait for that.

I noticed that you kept your Mazda for 9 years and 100,000 miles. You won't want to keep an A4 that long.
Old 12-11-11, 10:18 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My opinion based on the cars you listed:

Audi A4 - Cross it off your list. Seems like you keep your car for a high number of miles. And since you mentioned premium fuel as a con, you will certainly dislike the cost of maintaining an aging Audi.

Volvo S60 - Cross it off your list too. Nothing wrong with keeping one for a short time, but soon after hitting 60k my aunt's Volvo S60 required 2 transmission replacements, never made it to 100k miles.

Infiniti G25 - Not a bad car, but i have heard some complaints of gas mileage not being all that great. Also, you mentioned RWD as a con because of snow. Just FYI, no matter what you have...RWD, FWD or AWD - snow tires are best for traction. AWD with all-seasons < RWD with snow tires.

Acura TSX - Good car, reliable. The backseat is small like you said, but yes its definately an upgrade from the Accord. It handles better and is much more luxurious. I skipped the TSX just because of the new front end (i find that grill down right ugly) and because i question Honda's quality in their new vehicles (Even tho i haven't heard of major issues with the new TSX)

2012 Camry - Great car - reliable, economical and good size. Probably the best option from the ones you've listed. I wouldn't worry too much about it being in its first year, its not really a huge upgrade over the last one and Toyota reliability is pretty consistent.

I would add 2 Lexus cars to your search tho:

IS250 AWD - You can definately find an 08/09/10 CPO well loaded for under $30k with the 3yr/100k CPO warranty. Gets decent MPG, looks good, and you got Toyota reliability.

ES350 - FWD, looks good and gets good MPG for its size. Lots of room in the back seat, and newer models run on 87 fuel (not sure about older models). You can find a 2009/2010 for right under $30k too.
Old 12-12-11, 09:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

have some experience with someone else's tsx. solid car. back seat isn't that bad (better than IS) and even better the back seats fold to give loads of flexibility in using the already large trunk space.

car handles nicely. only 2 things i don't like about tsx are it's a bit noisier than i would expect, and the seats aren't comfortable on a long drive.
Old 12-12-11, 09:29 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New Volvo reliability is much improved, probably not as good as Lexus, but as good as BMW and much better than Audi. It is a premium priced car though so maintenance will be higher. Its free for 5 years, but after that be prepared to pay lexus prices. Dealer incentives should be quite high as well.

Last edited by venom21; 12-12-11 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-12-11, 12:26 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
My opinion based on the cars you listed:

Audi A4 - Cross it off your list. Seems like you keep your car for a high number of miles. And since you mentioned premium fuel as a con, you will certainly dislike the cost of maintaining an aging Audi.

Volvo S60 - Cross it off your list too. Nothing wrong with keeping one for a short time, but soon after hitting 60k my aunt's Volvo S60 required 2 transmission replacements, never made it to 100k miles.

Infiniti G25 - Not a bad car, but i have heard some complaints of gas mileage not being all that great. Also, you mentioned RWD as a con because of snow. Just FYI, no matter what you have...RWD, FWD or AWD - snow tires are best for traction. AWD with all-seasons < RWD with snow tires.

Acura TSX - Good car, reliable. The backseat is small like you said, but yes its definately an upgrade from the Accord. It handles better and is much more luxurious. I skipped the TSX just because of the new front end (i find that grill down right ugly) and because i question Honda's quality in their new vehicles (Even tho i haven't heard of major issues with the new TSX)

2012 Camry - Great car - reliable, economical and good size. Probably the best option from the ones you've listed. I wouldn't worry too much about it being in its first year, its not really a huge upgrade over the last one and Toyota reliability is pretty consistent.

I would add 2 Lexus cars to your search tho:

IS250 AWD - You can definately find an 08/09/10 CPO well loaded for under $30k with the 3yr/100k CPO warranty. Gets decent MPG, looks good, and you got Toyota reliability.

ES350 - FWD, looks good and gets good MPG for its size. Lots of room in the back seat, and newer models run on 87 fuel (not sure about older models). You can find a 2009/2010 for right under $30k too.
Wow... I (basically) agree with 100% of this post!

+1 on IS250awd or the ES.

Imo - The TSX is not worth it. Costs around the price of an IS yet it is inferior (engine/transmission/build quality/etc) in almost every way. And I agree after the facelift they ruined the looks of the front end... (I don't think it's a bad car... But IMO its not worth the price tag when you can get an all around better car for almost the same price in the IS)

Last edited by GiantsFan; 12-12-11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Wow... I (basically) agree with 100% of this post!

+1 on IS250awd or the ES.

Imo - The TSX is not worth it. Costs around the price of an IS yet it is inferior (engine/transmission/build quality/etc) in almost every way. And I agree after the facelift they ruined the looks of the front end... (I don't think it's a bad car... But IMO its not worth the price tag when you can get an all around better car for almost the same price in the IS)
I think you mean materials used. Build quality is superb, and still among the best in the industry. As for transmission there's nothing wrong with it other than it lacks a typical 6th gear like most of its competition. The 6-speed manual coupled to the 2.4L is accurate and precise. And if more power is needed, you can step up to a 3.5L V6 280hp. Other than styling and aging powertrains, Acuras are still excellent cars with good assembly, safety, chassis. Now if they offered a SH-AWD version, it would be an even better pick.

Everyone is going to have an opinion biased or not. Best advice to the OP is go test drive.
Old 12-12-11, 02:29 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would head straight for the ES in this case. Reliability of the Camry with much more style. This current model ES. to me, is the best looking and it can slide in under your budget if you spring for a 1 or 2 year old model. If you look at an Audi or Volvo, I would be factoring in an extended warranty into the purchase price. My friend has not had a good experience with his 2008 S50. (1 catatrophic engine failure and hasn't had AC for most of his ownership no mater what the dealer does). If you would consider leasing, I would throw the A4 back in the running. Don't count out the IS250. It is small, but if the interior size is good for you, definite contender.
Old 12-12-11, 08:51 PM
knighru
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have test driven all the cars I listed except for the s60. I'll take a look at the ES as well.
Old 12-13-11, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by knighru

- Infiniti G25. PRO: nice styling, v6 power without being 'too much' power like the g37. nice tech, well laid out interior, impressive handling. CON: RWD which worries me b/c I live in the northeast and we get snow (and I don't really feel like having another set of tires in my garage. mpg is not impressive at all (20/29).
Welcome to CL and CAR CHAT. Glad to have you

Some comments on your list:

The Infiniti G25, IMO, does NOT have really have V6 power..., especially with the automatic. The engine is simply too small. With the slushbox (and especially with AWD), it will barely get out of its own way. It was apparantly designed for G37 looks but better fuel economy, with little emphasis on performance. Its stiff underpinnings and tires also ride over bumps like a dump-truck. But, like I just indicated above, you don't have to settle for RWD with the G25.....it offers a G25X AWD option.

Here.... I did a review myself on the G25X:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-g25x-awd.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-11 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 08:30 PM
knighru
Driver School Candidate

good read mmarshall. Thanks.

The general problem I have is that I want a car that doesn't exist. I want a car that gets decent gas mileage that is also fun to drive and is a bit sporty....

the rear seat is an issue b/c we have 2 boys and I don't want them kicking my seat and complaining of a lack of leg room.

As for the ES - I never really considered it b/c it just feels like an older person's car. I'm in my mid 30s and and ES 350 just doesn't feel 'right'.

Based on the feedback I've received so far ... sounds like I should knock the audi out of the running.
Old 12-13-11, 09:06 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

You have a 2012 Camry on your list, just bought mine and couldnt be happier. Very comfy, quiet, all I could ask for. good luck
Old 12-13-11, 09:35 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knighru
good read mmarshall. Thanks.

The general problem I have is that I want a car that doesn't exist. I want a car that gets decent gas mileage that is also fun to drive and is a bit sporty....

the rear seat is an issue b/c we have 2 boys and I don't want them kicking my seat and complaining of a lack of leg room.

As for the ES - I never really considered it b/c it just feels like an older person's car. I'm in my mid 30s and and ES 350 just doesn't feel 'right'.

Based on the feedback I've received so far ... sounds like I should knock the audi out of the running.
Have you considered a Sonata Turbo? 34mpg... a bit sporty..... and lots of room in the back seat.
Old 12-14-11, 04:48 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're looking at a Camry, I think the ES should be in your list. Also, other cars to include could be the Sonata as mentioned above and its corporate cousin, the Kia Optima.

Quick Reply: Advice with my short list