Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 08:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over

Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-4669235/

If automakers have learned anything from the 2011 Ford Explorer, it's that changing a popular SUV nameplate to a crossover platform won't necessarily hurt the vehicle's image (or sales numbers). Nissan is hoping to capture that same sort of magic with its Pathfinder – judging by these spy shots, the traditionally body-on-frame SUV stalwart appears to be crossing over for its next generation.

The next-gen Pathfinder will likely be based on Nissan's FF-L platform that currently underpins vehicles like the Murano crossover and Quest minivan. Our best guess is that this Pathfinder, which will still remain a seven-passenger vehicle, could share many of its bits with the recently revealed Infiniti JX. Either way, whatever Nissan has planned for the new Pathfinder will surely be better than the aging, Titan-based model that's currently on sale.

The new Pathfinder appears to be pretty far along in its development, so we'll likely see its new CUV shape at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/09/n...to-cross-over/
Old 12-09-11, 08:14 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ewww Murano grill
Old 12-09-11, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

If automakers have learned anything from the 2011 Ford Explorer, it's that changing a popular SUV nameplate to a crossover platform won't necessarily hurt the vehicle's image (or sales numbers). Nissan is hoping to capture that same sort of magic with its Pathfinder – judging by these spy shots, the traditionally body-on-frame SUV stalwart appears to be crossing over for its next generation.
Nissan seems to be playing yo-yo with the Pathfinder's design. The original ones were body-on-frame, converted pickups. The 2Gen models were unibodies. The 3Gens were back to body-on-frame (the same platform as its brother XTerra) and its sister Infiniti QX-4 was dropped. Now, for the 4Gen, we apparantly see another change back to unibody.

So, in the article, the phrase "traditionally body-on-frame" for this vehicle is not quite correct.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-09-11, 08:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nissan seems to be playing yo-yo with the Pathfinder's design. The original 1Gen Pathfinder (and its Infiniti QX-4 cousin) used a unibody design. Then, on the the 2Gen Pathfinder, the QX-4 was dropped, and it switched to a Nissan truck-based body-on-frame platform......the same one as the XTerra (presumably to cut costs). Now, the pendulum seems to be swaying back again...the 3Gen model goes back to a unibody frame.

The 2Gen Pathfinder's switch from unibody to a truck-based brame was quite unusual....SUVs usually go the other way. Nissan seems to have realized that the 2Gen switch to a truck-platform was unnecessary. Now it is in a world where it has to compete wth a sea of other unibody-SUVs.

A neighbor of mine (the maintenance-guy for our condo association) has owned both the 1Gen unibody and, later, the 2Gen truck-based Pathfinder. He loved them both.
Wow I had no idea the 1Gen and QX-4 were Unibody. Thanks for that tidbit of info!!

Although I agree that is unusual, when the 2Gen came out in 96-04' this was the heydays for SUVs (Explorer, Blazer, 4Runner, Durango, etc..). Not to say a Unibody isn't off road worthy (Jeep Grand Cherokee has always been Unibody), but I think it was more of a tough image thing that coincided with the then current consumers tastes and trends (remember Chevy's "Like a Rock!"). Now back in the present, all these once popular nameplates are trying to become current again ie Explorer and Durango, and now Pathfinder.

I wanted to see what the 3Gen Pathfinders platform was based off of 05-present, and you may get a kick out of what good ole Wikipedia says lol. To sum up, the opposite of what you said lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pathfinder
Old 12-09-11, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wow I had no idea the 1Gen and QX-4 were Unibody. Thanks for that tidbit of info!!
Oops. No, they weren't. I'm sorry...I made an error in that post....and went back and revised it.

(I had forgotten that there are 4 generations now of Pathfinders, not three).

The 1Gen was body-on-frame (a converted Nissan pickup). The 2Gen (and QX-4) were unibody. The 3Gen was (again) body-on-frame. Now, the new 4Gen, from the article, appears to be unibody again.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-11 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-09-11, 11:55 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

R.I.P. legendary pathfinder of the past. This shows how the times are changing.....very similar to what Ford did to the Explorer...
Old 12-10-11, 01:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

The Pathfinder is one of the last off-road, mid-sized SUV's, it would be sad to see this one go more carlike too. The new Escape recently bit the dust and I wonder where the 4Runner will go too.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 12-12-11 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-10-11, 04:58 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

It was only a matter of time before this happened. Having owned 5 pathfinders in the family and now seeing this one, id gladly keep our 03 til it dies, lol.
Old 12-10-11, 06:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know if 2nd gen were unibody. My parents had a 99 Qx4 back in those days, and it certainly had live axle. So even if it was a unibody, it still had a horrible ride quality and handled like a truck.
Old 12-10-11, 06:42 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

It's just a matter of the market having spoken. Large amounts of people just aren't buying rugged off-roaders anymore. Pathfinder truly has a legendary off-road heritage but it really handed its mantle over to the Xterra when that car was introduced. Now that Xterra is gone Nissan just won't offer anything with genuine off-road capability. As said above... sad as it is, it's just a sign of the times.
Old 12-10-11, 07:13 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The more body on Frame trucks that bite the dust the better for me. I hope Toyota sees this and continues to offer the 4runner knowing its got a monopoly on its hands

Love my 4runners!
Old 12-10-11, 08:12 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just from the spy shots alone, I still love my R50 Nissan Pathfinder, I am not fond of the Murano like body.
Old 12-10-11, 09:06 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Pathfinder is one of the last offroad, mid-sized SUV's, it would be sad to see this one go more carlike too. The new Escape recently bit the dust and I wonder where the 4Runner will go too.
As long as the similarly sized Highlander exists, I think it's safe to say the 4Runner is safe
Old 12-10-11, 10:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
The more body on Frame trucks that bite the dust the better for me. I hope Toyota sees this and continues to offer the 4runner knowing its got a monopoly on its hands

Love my 4runners!
I agree. Aside from the 4Runner, I can't think of many other body on frame midsizers. Oh the POS Boreggo is one.
Old 12-10-11, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I dont know if 2nd gen were unibody. My parents had a 99 Qx4 back in those days, and it certainly had live axle. So even if it was a unibody, it still had a horrible ride quality and handled like a truck.
Yes, the 2Gen models were unibody, but, like you stated, also had a live axle because the 4WD versions also had an off-road transfer-case and low-range. I remember test-driving a 2Gen Pathfinder, though, and was surprised at how smooth it rode by SUV standards (and, of course, from my reviews and comments, you guys know I'm often critical of a stiffly-riding chassis and tires). Nissan apparantly used rather soft springs to get that smooth ride. Granted, I didn't test-drive a QX-4 like your parents had, but I don't see any reason why it would ride any stiffer then the Nissan version. Did your parents keep the tires inflated to the proper PSI? Too much air in the tires can definitely stiffen the ride.

One big difference between the 2Gen Pathfinder and its QX-4 cousin (besides the QX-4's plusher interior and better sound-insulation) was that the Pathfinder had only an El Cheapo part-time 4WD system, lacking a center-differential, that could not be used on dry pavement or just set-and-forget. The QX-4, IMO, did it the right way.....it had a selectable RWD/full-time AWD system with a center-differential, and you never had to worry about what kind of surface you were on or turning it on and off. Both systems, though, included a low-range transfer-case for true off-roading. Later Pathfinders finally got the QX-4's center differential and full-time selectable system as an option, but, IMO, should have gotten it from the start.....I pointed that out to the Nissan people several times at auto shows.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-11 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over