Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Juke R might be awesome, but Nissan HQ ain't happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 10:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Juke R might be awesome, but Nissan HQ ain't happy

Juke R might be awesome, but Nissan HQ ain't happy

The Nissan Juke R might be one of the company's most impressive engineering efforts in recent memory, but the skunkworks team behind it has apparently ruffled more than a few feathers with Nissan execs in Japan.

The UK team behind the Juke R apparently didn't seek approval from Nissan's higher-ups before beginning the build, and the unholy GT-R/Juke hybrid concept was apparently born in secret before the unending teasers – see the latest one after the jump – began making their way online.

According to sources close to the company, the release was a complete surprise to many at the automaker and several Nissan executives at the company's headquarters were put-off by the idea that a group of rag-tag engineers in the UK would take their ultimate driving machine – the flagship for everything Nissan is capable of – and toss it into an inexpensive compact crossover.

But like you, we think it's awesome, and we suspect when the execs get some seat time, they'll begrudgingly agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM81m...layer_embedded

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/08/j...happy-w-video/
Old 12-08-11, 10:33 PM
LexFather

I thought it really was a slap in the face of INfiniit when ANOTHER Nissan has more power and more technology. Lexus skunkworks team worked on the IS F and presented it. I don't know why they did a Juke, how about slap that stuff in a M37 or something or even a FX.

The Juke R though, as ugly as it is, looking like a QX turd, is freaking awesome. There is no getting around how awesome that thing is

Old 12-09-11, 07:33 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought it really was a slap in the face of INfiniit when ANOTHER Nissan has more power and more technology. Lexus skunkworks team worked on the IS F and presented it. I don't know why they did a Juke, how about slap that stuff in a M37 or something or even a FX.

The Juke R though, as ugly as it is, looking like a QX turd, is freaking awesome. There is no getting around how awesome that thing is
I like the UK guys spirit but, yeah, why not an Infiniti product with that engine and chassis?

There's also a Nismo variant Concept.

Last edited by speedflex; 12-09-11 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-09-11, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Kudos to those guys for building it. It afflicts all companies, processes and bean counters stunt ingenuity, fun and potential *** kicking products for the sake of "safety" and "consumer focus groups". These guys told them " go to hell" which might have ruffled feathers.

I'm hearing NISMO is getting a real shot in the arm to expand and make more products. Good news!

Old 12-09-11, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
I like the UK guys spirit but, yeah, why not an Infiniti product with that engine and chassis?
Who on earth, though, would buy something that looks like that with an Infiniti badge on it?

I assume that you are talking about a somewhat more-conventional-looking vehicle built on the same platform, but with different sheet metal and interior. Even then, it would probably be on the small side for an Infiniti product, especially here in the U.S.
Old 12-09-11, 01:32 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Who on earth, though, would buy something that looks like that with an Infiniti badge on it?

I assume that you are talking about a somewhat more-conventional-looking vehicle built on the same platform, but with different sheet metal and interior. Even then, it would probably be on the small side for an Infiniti product, especially here in the U.S.
The Juke R is spun off the GTR's architecture. I've said from day one that Infiniti should get a crack at a car based on that platform.
Old 12-09-11, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
The Juke R is spun off the GTR's architecture. I've said from day one that Infiniti should get a crack at a car based on that platform.
OK...Thanks. Now I see. I had problems downloading the video, and didn't notice that they actually used the GT-R/Skyline mechanicals for the Juke R....I thought at first it was a spinoff of the Juke platform. I see what Mike was saying now.....that's some small SUV.

A good competitor to it, of course, might be the Porsche Cayenne turbo, but the Cayenne, of course, uses a purpose-designed platform, is somewhat larger, and (yes) LOOKS a heck of a lot better.
Old 12-09-11, 11:59 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Needless to say Infiniti is slacking the performance department. Everyone assumed that since they recently became a global brand that they would put the pedal to the medal in performance ESPECIALLY with the Redbull F1 partnership and all that mumbo-jumbo. All we saw out of that so far was a Special edition Sebastion Vettel FX with a awkward rear spoiler. Come on now Inifniti!!
Old 12-10-11, 10:40 AM
timacks
Rookie

could you imagine driving this machine?
reminds me of JDM pulsar GTIR
Old 12-10-11, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timacks
could you imagine driving this machine?
reminds me of JDM pulsar GTIR
We're actually driving a lot of machines today that few people could have imagined years ago.
Old 12-10-11, 11:03 AM
timacks
Rookie

GTI-R pulsar
Old 01-04-12, 09:29 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11201043...pecs-confirmed

Another video.

Nissan has confirmed the official performance specifications for the Juke-R that has been treated to the GTR's 3.8-liter V6 twin-turbo engine. It confirms the special model as the world's fastest crossover.

The Juke-R can accelerate from 0-62mph (0-100kph) in just 3.7 seconds and hits a top speed of 160mph (257kph). This is quite a substantial improvement over the regular 4WD Juke that takes 8.6 seconds to accelerate and has a top speed of 124mph (200kph).

The 3.8-liter V6 twin turbo engine is not the only part to be sourced from its Nissan cousin. The Juke-R also gets the GT-R's suspension and drivetrain as well as an FIA-specification roll cage and unique split rear wing. In fact, the only aspects preventing the Juke-R from matching the GT-R's performance is the latter's aerodynamics and lower kerb weight.

Only two Nissan Juke-R prototypes have been built, one in left-hand-drive and one in right-hand-drive. It was developed over a 22-week period between Nissan, leading motorsports outfit RML and Nissan Technical Centre Europe (NTC-E).

The confirmation of the performance specs will no doubt enhance the demand for the model to hit full production, however this still remains a remote possibility.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11201043...#ixzz1iYi6PolL
Old 01-04-12, 10:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Amazing performance no doubt....but why the hell did they do it in such a FUGLY car?

EDIT: This reminds me of some of the stuff the John DeLorean and his crew at Pontiac used to do in the 60's. GM had basically put a ban on racing on all the divisions except for Chevy. This ticked off John Delorean and he found a loophole, and threw a 389 V8 in a Tempest, despite a ban on engines over 330 cubic inches. It was a stunning success, but it ruffled feathers with GM brass.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 01-04-12 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-04-12, 10:32 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

To grab your attention of course, lol.
Old 01-05-12, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
EDIT: This reminds me of some of the stuff the John DeLorean and his crew at Pontiac used to do in the 60's. GM had basically put a ban on racing on all the divisions except for Chevy. This ticked off John Delorean and he found a loophole, and threw a 389 V8 in a Tempest, despite a ban on engines over 330 cubic inches. It was a stunning success, but it ruffled feathers with GM brass.
De Lorean kept his job at Pontiac (later to move onto Chevy), despite the disobedience to his bosses, simply because the GTO was so successful and made a lot of money for Pontiac. It was hard for GM's bosses to bit the hand that was feeding them.......as usual, money talked.

De Lorean didn't actually leave GM until the oil-crisis, rising auto-insurance premiums, and emission/CAFE regulations (which, of course, he couldn't stop) brought an abrupt end to the 60s muscle-car era.