Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Ward's 10 Best Engines List

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 11:51 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Ward's 10 Best Engines List

No Toyota/Lexus this time. One can only hope for the new GS450h to be priced below $55,000 just so it can win next year's award. If not, maybe the Camry Hybrid will be good enough to be on the list?

http://wardsauto.com/ar/names_best_engines_111208/

GDI Dominates Ward’s 10 Best Engines List
By Tom Murphy

A record seven of this year’s Ward’s 10 Best Engines winners integrate state-of-the-art direct fuel injection, demonstrating the rapid pace of technology development as auto makers downsize their engines in anticipation of strict U.S. fuel-economy rules.

Direct injection gained popularity more than a decade ago with the arrival of modern clean turbodiesel engines, especially in Europe, and now high-pressure gasoline direct injection is sweeping across the industry in everything from entry-level compacts to luxury cars and fullsize pickups.

Direct injection, whether deployed in diesel or gasoline engines, has been proven to reduce fuel consumption and improve low-end torque, which makes for quicker acceleration.

This year’s winners and the applications tested:

Of those engines, the only ones using conventional multi-port injection rather than DI are the Infiniti hybrid, Chrysler Pentastar and Ford V-8.

The 2012 list also is populated with five 4-cyl. engines, compared with three last year. But five is not a record: In 2010, six 4-cyl. powerplants took Ward’s 10 Best Engines honors.

Forced induction also is well-represented, with four turbocharged and one supercharged powerplant on this year’s list. In each case, forced induction enables a smaller, more fuel-efficient engine to deliver outstanding performance.

“With so many engines featuring gasoline direct-injection and forced induction, we’re pleased to have a list that is rich in technology,” says Drew Winter, editor-in-chief of WardsAuto World magazine. “Plus, every engine reinforces the idea that even fuel-efficient vehicles must be fun to drive.”

Now in its 18th year, the Ward’s 10 Best Engines competition recognizes the latest powertrain technologies that are affordable to most consumers, boost horsepower and torque, sound appealing and integrate well with their respective vehicles.

Audi’s 3.0L supercharged V-6 has been on the list the past two years in the S4 sport sedan and returns for a third consecutive win in the higher-volume A6 sedan. With 310 hp and 325 lb.-ft. (441 Nm) of torque, the A6 can quicken any pulse with a blip of the throttle.

And it’s versatile, too, powering the new Audi A7 5-door sedan and Q7 cross/utility vehicle, as well as Porsche and Volkswagen hybrids.

BMW returns to the list for a second time with the N55 3.0L turbocharged 6-cyl. engine in the 335i coupe, an engine that perfectly illustrates the superior balance and refinement of inline engines and the Bavarian auto maker’s mastery of the architecture’s execution.

With 300 hp and 300 lb.-ft. (407 Nm) of torque, this engine manages better than 25 mpg (9.4 L/100 km) during heavy-footed evaluation by WardsAuto editors in October.

New to the winner’s circle is BMW’s 2.0L N20 turbocharged 4-cyl. engine that dazzles editors in both the Z4 sDrive 28i roadster and larger 528i sedan. With 258 lb.-ft. (350 Nm) of torque in the Z4 and 260 lb.-ft. (353 Nm) in the 5-Series, this stout, compact powertrain packs an impressive 120 hp/L, without sacrificing any of BMW’s stellar vehicle dynamics.

Repeating as a winner is the Chrysler Pentastar 3.6L V-6 that now forms a solid foundation for much of the auto maker’s vehicle portfolio, from the Chrysler 300S flagship sedan and Jeep Wrangler to the Chrysler Group minivans and Dodge Durango SUV.

Even without direct injection, the multipurpose Pentastar returns better fuel economy than a similarly sized V-6 with DI in the competition. Editors manage to get better than 25 mpg, while enjoying outstanding refinement and power.

Ford lands two Ward’s 10 Best Engines honors this year. The EcoBoost 2.0L turbocharged 4-cyl. gets a nod for its uncanny ability to motivate the Edge, a midsize 5-passenger CUV that normally would require 6-cyl. power but does quite fine without it. The same is true for the Explorer CUV, which also uses the 2.0L EcoBoost.

WardsAuto editors get 24 mpg (9.8 L/100 km) in the Edge, which deserves plaudits in this segment.

Ford’s 5.0L V-8 comes back for a second year on the list, this time in the Mustang Boss 302, a 444-hp beast that pays homage to muscle cars of old, but uses modern overhead cam and aluminum construction, as well as performance enhancements such as Twin-Independent Variable Camshaft Timing.

General Motors arrives with an outrageously high specific output of 135 hp/L in the Buick Regal GS, a car that puts to rest the old line about “your grandfather’s Buick.” The 2.0L turbo I-4 delivers exhilarating acceleration and astonishing refinement for such a power-dense engine.

Hyundai spent three years on the list with its excellent Tau 5.0L V-8, but 2012 brings evidence the auto maker can deliver world-class small engines as well.

The new 1.6L DI Gamma 4-cyl. is powering entry level vehicles such as the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio and demonstrates its versatility in the Kia Soul boxy compact (with a fuel-saving stop/start system) and Hyundai Veloster 3-door coupe.

Mated with an excellent 6-speed manual transmission for our evaluation, this package makes the Accent an easy pick for B-class car shoppers. Priced a shade above $14,000, the Gamma-equipped Accent is an excellent value that will surprise and delight any first-time buyer.

We also were impressed by the engine’s efficiency mated with a 6-speed automatic in the heavier and less aerodynamic Kia Soul.

Another inexpensive and high-tech naturally aspirated 4-cyl. with DI is the Skyactiv 2.0L in the Mazda3 compact.

Rated at 40 mpg (5.8 L/100 km) in highway driving with an automatic transmission, the Mazda3 returns better than 34 mpg (6.9 L/100 km) for some editors, despite a sound thrashing.

This engine is both efficient and highly engaging, eager to run in the upper reaches of the powerband. And the price is right: A well-equipped Mazda3 Touring sedan can be had for less than $20,000, including destination charges.

Last only alphabetically, Nissan’s Infiniti luxury brand raises the bar with a hybrid-electric vehicle that is equal parts luxury flagship, sport sedan, fuel sipper and technology showpiece.

The Infiniti Direct Response Hybrid system in the M35h replaces the torque converter in the 7-speed automatic transmission with a single 50-kW (67 hp) electric motor linked to a powerful lithium-ion battery pack that allows frequent decoupling of the engine so the vehicle can run in electric mode at speeds above 70 mph (113 km/h) and easily achieve 30 mpg (7.8 L/100 km), based on WardsAuto testing.

WardsAuto editors chose the winners after spending October and November driving 36 vehicles with 34 new or significantly upgraded engines in their routine daily commutes around metro Detroit.

Editors scored each engine based on power, technology, observed fuel economy and noise, vibration and harshness characteristics. There was no instrumented testing.

To be eligible, each engine must be available in a regular-production U.S.-specification model on sale no later than first-quarter 2012, in a vehicle with a base price below $55,000.

Winners from the 2011 competition automatically was eligible and evaluated against the new engines for 2012.

The awards will be presented at a Jan. 11 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-08-11 at 11:55 AM.
                      Old 12-08-11, 12:29 PM
                      bolido
                      Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't the RX450h be under the price cap? Out of curiosity, have they ever picked the Prius engine?
                      Old 12-08-11, 12:37 PM
                      Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow so the 2.0T from VW finally got knocked off the list. I see the 335i's engine is still there. Glad to see the Ford 5.0 made the list. Also surprised Chryslers 3.6L V6 beat Nissans VQ series, Lexus's 3.5, and the new uprooted Hyundai 3.8 or GM 3.6
                      Old 12-08-11, 12:41 PM
                      MPLexus301
                      Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi and BMW's 6 cylinders are about the only engines on the list that I care for. The rest are "meh" to me.
                      Old 12-08-11, 12:47 PM
                      KillaIS250
                      Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

N55 is a greet engine, but i'm surprised the plentiful fuel pump failures didn't knock the engine off the list!
                      Old 12-08-11, 12:56 PM
                      Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
                      N55 is a greet engine, but i'm surprised the plentiful fuel pump failures didn't knock the engine off the list!
                      Don't quote me on this, but I wanna say it was more prone on the N54 engines due to the twin turbos rather than a single turbo now found on the N55
                      Old 12-08-11, 02:39 PM
                      spwolf
                      Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

VQ and GR are now a bit old too be on such lists...
                      Old 12-08-11, 06:57 PM
                      UDel
                      Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I wonder if wards takes into account long term reliability of engines when they come out with these awards because most of those GDI engines have issues with carbon fowling/deposits and can end up costing a lot of money to maintain or fix.
                      Old 12-08-11, 07:32 PM
                      bad co
                      Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
                      Interesting notes

No Hondas or Toyotas. Good amount are forced induction and/or DI. I think the Toyota/Lexus 3.5 V6 still deserves a place on this list, replacing the Pentastar. It's still a fantastic engine. I think the Infiniti M35h's powertrain should be replaced with the RX450h's powertrain
                      This isn't the 10 best power-train awards, its the 10 best engine awards.
                      Old 12-09-11, 08:32 AM
                      Blackraven
                      Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad co
                      This isn't the 10 best power-train awards, its the 10 best engine awards.
                      Ah I see.

Still:
                      I always thought powertrain = engine (?)
                      Old 12-09-11, 08:35 AM
                      RX_330
                      Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
                      Ah I see.

Still:
                      I always thought powertrain = engine (?)
                      Powertain typically includes the engine and everything necessary to get the power to the wheels. So that includes transmission, differentials, etc. To me the most common interpretation of powertrain is the engine+transmission combo.

As a current owner of the Chrysler Town & Country with the Pentastar engine, I have to say I'm glad it made the list. This engine along with the new designs saved the whole Chrysler range. Refinement, power, and efficiency are miles above the 3.3/3.8 and 4.0 V6s they used to have. I'm getting over 25mpg on the highway consistently and about 20 in the suburbs (as close to city driving as I'll get).

Last edited by RX_330; 12-09-11 at 08:41 AM.