Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dear Santa, My Son Wants the World's Fastest Toy Car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 10:48 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty insane. Would be fun if you had the space for it
Old 12-04-11, 05:25 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
^^ I was about to say the same thing lol

What happens if you walked into the room and your kid drives the thing 40mph into your foot...
This ain't no indoor R/C toy.

passnu2 - a shifter cart would be sa-weet.. but with this you can do whatever and not risk your life. <-- this is coming from someone who rides his motorcycle at triple digit speeds regularly.
Old 12-04-11, 07:51 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's fast model cars you are looking for, check out the predecessor of the R/C car, the "Tether Car" or "Spindizzy". The hobby originated in the early '30's when these 1/6th scale midget racers with a 10cc model airplane engine were either raced against one another on a slotted track, or were tethered to a pipe and run around a 70ft. dia. circular course against the clock. They had pretty realistic suspensions, no brakes or steering, but extremely efficient engines that could develop a great deal of power out of the small displacement allowed by the formula rules. Pre-war models could develop as much as 5 horsepower and achieve true speeds of 100 mph on the track.

During the war when aluminum and magnesium were at a premium, the hobby almost disappeared, but after the war when metal became available again, the hobby flourished, producing rather than so much scale models of familiar racers, but new interpretations, some of which were far more aerodynamic than full size racers of the day. New engine technologies allowed the tiny 10cc powerplants to produce up to 10 hp, and speeds of up to 200 mph. Some record holders incorporated twin engines or mechanical superchargers that were enormously capable, if somewhat fragile machines. Most of these cars and engines were one-offs, hand machined and assembled by a master craftsman.

A Dennymite Whirlwind, ca. 1940

Today, even though the R/C car eventually forced it from the market by the early 50's, the spindizzy may be making a comeback, at least among collectors. Most of the old "kit" cars assembled by their owners and in running condition today still sell for $1400 and up. Growing numbers of collectors have driven the market upward to the point that many of these cars are too expensive to run. One highly prized B.B. Korn car recently sold at auction for $70,000.

Eric Zausner with three of his cars. Zausner wrote the coffee-table book out this Christmas, "Spindizzies"
and owns a copy of almost every one manufactured. Interview with Jay Leno here: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...b-spindizzies/

Not bad for a hobby . . . . I had one of the last of the commercial spindizzies, a Novi Indy replica, resplendent in yellow plastic and sporting a *** .045 motor. It ran very well on the board tracks of the day, whirling around a 8-penny nail driven into the center of the track - but eventually it tore itself apart, being a cheap copy with no suspension.

Last edited by Lil4X; 12-04-11 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 08:36 PM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually saw some of these tether cars for the first time just a few weeks ago, the sound of one of those things screaming around at 320kph with nothing between you and them except a knee high fence is incredible. Also impressive that these speeds are being attained at just a weekend meet.
Old 12-05-11, 12:50 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Its on my list! And it might actually become a reality! I already have a T-Maxx gas powered..

And at WOT the battery lasts about 6 minutes. But where are you gonna be able to drive something this size for 6 minutes at 100mph? Anywhere I freakin want.
Running 6s assuming its a 5000mah + pack probably 15min under WOT the entire time, closer to 25 if not. My monster truck uses this same motor/speed control set up and will run for about 30min on 4s.
Old 12-05-11, 01:58 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dear Santa.......
Attached Thumbnails Dear Santa, My Son Wants the World's Fastest Toy Car . . .-dear_santa_lfa.jpg  
Old 12-05-11, 03:31 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this little monster in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0DMa...ayer_embedded#!
Old 12-06-11, 08:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

wow, that is bad ***

How does it brake? Or do you just let off the throttle?

It's not like your cheapo RC cars where you just hit reverse

Originally Posted by Lil4X
(
You ARE buying this for your kid, aren't you?
surrrrre I'm buying this for my kid, but I'll be the one playing with it

This would be awesome to line up with the all the super cars