Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Nice write up:

I almost 100% sure the S550 came with heated steering wheel as an option b/c it’s on my full loaded cl550. 2nd please update your telematic/Nav ASAP with the new firmware. I receive the upgrade with no problems and it’s amazing. Sound like RXSF dealer didn’t know what they were doing. But truthfully I wouldn’t even compare an S class to a C class. I’m driving one right now as a loaner while my CL gets service. Yes, the exterior is nice and the handling is precise. But the interior so so ….. I really wish you would have purchase one with the AMG package. It really makes the car look so much better. From your write up it sounds like you’re missing a lot toys. As far as compares MB reliability has improve a lot but I think Lexus still got them in that dept for sure. As for the radio I guess that’s up for debate now since MB switch. Anything else BENZ all the way but I’m bias.
what year is your cl? i wonder if it could be an option added later on and not 07-08. just guessing. you are really tempting me on updating the telematics... personally i don't care about the 3d map as much, but i very much like the traffic information and the video playback.

yeah, i actually spent quite some time into upgrading things to the amg package or maybe the 2010+ facelift look. i guess because it's the s class, prices aren't something i feel comfortable with. at least considering what i paid for the car, it's quite a bit portion

yeah my car is definitely on the lightly optioned side. only premium package 1 i think. doesn't even have rear view camera (which in 07 was in premium package 3!!!!!!), i think that's completely stupid (darn forgot to mention in review).
Old 11-30-11, 11:56 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My CL550 is a 07. A lot people say it's the exact same car as the S550 but to the people who own both say they are totally two different cars. How I don't know? The Navigation update is more than just a simple update. For example it's allows you to play DVD’s while driving if you talk to the right dealer. Trust me it's worth it. I am definitely an options person. I got every option that was available. I take that back I didn't get the suede headliner which I regret.
Old 11-30-11, 11:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice review. I always felt that S class has the best ride out of any car, its amazing how you don't feel and don't HEAR bumps - the air dumpeners are doing an amazing job. And at the same time you can be doing 120mph on the highway, and it just feels stable and changing lanes at these high rates of speed is reassuring and easy.

Once this system fails however, its going to cost a pretty penny to replace/repair.

Was your LS also equipped with air ride, or standard suspension?
Old 11-30-11, 11:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My CL550 is a 07. A lot people say it's the exact same car as the S550 but to the people who own both say they are totally two different cars. How I don't know? The Navigation update is more than just a simple update. For example it's allows you to play DVD’s while driving if you talk to the right dealer. Trust me it's worth it. I am definitely an options person. I got every option that was available. I take that back I didn't get the suede headliner which I regret.
The CL is not the same platform, I believe its based on the E class, and it just doesn't ride with the same authority as the S class, despite being priced in the same range.
Old 11-30-11, 12:34 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The CL is not the same platform, I believe its based on the E class, and it just doesn't ride with the same authority as the S class, despite being priced in the same range.
No it's based on the S-class... the clk and cls are both based of the E-class...

in my 08 cl600 I have the 3d maps and I find it quite useless, I like the one in my LS more personally. I also have the night vision which I really love, radar cruise which is a better system than the lexus one, blind-spot warning system which is probably one of my favorite toys so far, brake assist + and thats all I can think of off the top of my head... also the ipod adapter (not you sure if you have it Henry) that works well but has some flaws ( should be in the middle instead of glove box, cable is too short) also, do the s-class come with the dynamic seats too?

Also, have you MB guys ever heard of the dealer lowering the car with their system? My tech guy said since I have ABC they would be able to lower the car themselves without aftermarket links. Im tempted to doing this...
Old 11-30-11, 12:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL is a two door version of the S class. CLK now is based on E class where the last gen was based on C class.
Old 11-30-11, 12:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

nice writeup, interesting to see the differences.
Old 11-30-11, 01:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah if your 07 has it then i am pretty sure the s has it too. the cars are on the same platform and while the cl is a bit ahead, i believe the options are relatively similar

yes, that's the great thing with the mb system. using the STAR you can actually select the setting to have video displayed while driving

Originally Posted by Och
Nice review. I always felt that S class has the best ride out of any car, its amazing how you don't feel and don't HEAR bumps - the air dumpeners are doing an amazing job. And at the same time you can be doing 120mph on the highway, and it just feels stable and changing lanes at these high rates of speed is reassuring and easy.

Once this system fails however, its going to cost a pretty penny to replace/repair.

Was your LS also equipped with air ride, or standard suspension?
yes, my ls460l had the air suspension as well so it's a pretty good comparison. there is a clear difference between ls460 with and without air ride. the one with air rides much smoother and the suspension response over bumps is much better

air suspension repair is very costly on both cars, question is which one goes first. i have seen failure on both cars searching the forums. at least the s class seems to go pretty well. on the gl a lot of people have blown air right after warranty. in fact, i saw a gl450 going to dealership on my way to work and one corner was slammed. my neighbor their gl450 air blew right after warranty

Originally Posted by Och
no, the cl is based on the s platform, and i have to say it rides pretty darn good for a "coupe"

Originally Posted by adamls2
No it's based on the S-class... the clk and cls are both based of the E-class...

in my 08 cl600 I have the 3d maps and I find it quite useless, I like the one in my LS more personally. I also have the night vision which I really love, radar cruise which is a better system than the lexus one, blind-spot warning system which is probably one of my favorite toys so far, brake assist + and thats all I can think of off the top of my head... also the ipod adapter (not you sure if you have it Henry) that works well but has some flaws ( should be in the middle instead of glove box, cable is too short) also, do the s-class come with the dynamic seats too?

Also, have you MB guys ever heard of the dealer lowering the car with their system? My tech guy said since I have ABC they would be able to lower the car themselves without aftermarket links. Im tempted to doing this...
actually the clk is based on the c class i believe. the new e coupe is also based on the c class. the cls of course is based on e

the s does have dynamic seat as option, but not on my car. you and roger are making me so jealous now, haha... the ipod is ok, but yes being in glove box is a stupid thing. but with the ipod i believe you can only control through the steering wheel and not command? i read up on that and with the price, i passed. i am ok with burning dvd disc with mp3 songs

Originally Posted by blacksc400
CL is a two door version of the S class. CLK now is based on E class where the last gen was based on C class.
hehe as mentioned, it's been reported that the new e coupe is actually based on the c platform
Old 11-30-11, 01:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Very interesting, because i've heard the same kind of things from other sources as well. I guess the Buick name and price tag is what sets the car back the most in people's minds? I find it looks pretty good, and if it handles as well as everyone says those would be the 2 biggest things that leave most buyers skipping over the car i guess.
FWD is what set it back the most, the best FWD car still feel worse then the worse RWD car, I don't even compare them. They are in different category.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-30-11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 03:54 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

What's up Henry? A S-Class? Thought you were planning on getting a SUV? Anyhow, nice choice. The S550 is an amazing car. Perfect "family" car

You have plans on replacing the front headlamps and rear tail lights with the newer versions?
Old 11-30-11, 05:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
What's up Henry? A S-Class? Thought you were planning on getting a SUV? Anyhow, nice choice. The S550 is an amazing car. Perfect "family" car

You have plans on replacing the front headlamps and rear tail lights with the newer versions?
hey jay, hahaha, the s class was an expected change. we are still looking for suv and need a purchase soon i think

thought about upgrading the bumpers to 2010+, but the price is quite outrages. and forget about the headlights, you don't even want to hear how much it would be
Old 11-30-11, 05:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
thought about upgrading the bumpers to 2010+, but the price is quite outrages. and forget about the headlights, you don't even want to hear how much it would be
I know the LED headlight assembly for the 08' LS600hL is $5400 retail, that's each

S-class should be similar I would think. The LS is LED low beams though, the S-Class is just LED DRL, but then you have to add the MB badge mark up.

Wow just checked, the 2012 LS600 lights are "only" $3776 now, what a bargain!

Last edited by BNR34; 11-30-11 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 07:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BNR34
I know the LED headlight assembly for the 08' LS600hL is $5400 retail, that's each

S-class should be similar I would think. The LS is LED low beams though, the S-Class is just LED DRL, but then you have to add the MB badge mark up.

Wow just checked, the 2012 LS600 lights are "only" $3776 now, what a bargain!
haha then i guess by comparison the s class headlights are "cheap". i think it's 4800 for the pair. but to get it to work with the 07-09, you need new SAM module which is another 1500-2000?
Old 11-30-11, 07:45 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

you can purchase the tail lights on ebay..here is a member that already did that for his 07 550

http://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-clas...s-working.html

Looks you can you get them on for $429 dollars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...sories&vxp=mtr

And here is a thread if you ever want to purchase the 2010 head lights

http://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-clas...onversion.html

Last edited by MrBruin09; 11-30-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 10:05 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adam8065
you can purchase the tail lights on ebay..here is a member that already did that for his 07 550

http://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-clas...s-working.html

Looks you can you get them on for $429 dollars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...sories&vxp=mtr

And here is a thread if you ever want to purchase the 2010 head lights

http://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-clas...onversion.html
Great info

Do it Henry! The updated light assemblies look amazing.

Quick Reply: 2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)