Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 03:31 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I call it the red screen of death. I cant find any pictures online Its funny because you think the mb is a grey scale monotone color screen but it can turn red. I am sure the S class has a much more elaborate picture since it has an LCD screen.
If you also want the whole thing to turn red, drive with the parking brake engaged.

I also love the 3-blink turn stalk. It's great for changing lanes/passing. I find I start to use it on my other cars only to be disappointed that it is not there.

It's about the little things.
Old 11-30-11, 07:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

yeah i wish i can get some experience in the 750. knowing bmw i am sure it drives awesome, that's what bmw is about. how would you rate on the ride quality, amenities, and other details?

part of me is thinking, i am sure bmw will drive great. but when having a flagship, driving is probably not my entire priority. i probably would prefer more comfort and other details.

definitely need to try that out

When I was driving the LS and S class, I was constantly reminded that I am driving a huge luxury sedan, more so in the S550. 7 series drives like a compact car, and I was really surprised. The ride was firmer than the S class. The car I drove has sport package and optional 20 wheels on it, so that probably doesn't help much for the ride quality. As a previous M3 owner, I think you will like the way it drives, and will appreciate how much BMW spend time trying to get the driving dynamic down. Other amenities are pretty barbaric in the BMW, as usual. Seats are firm, navi is quite useless, etc.

I am ready to give up my M3 and move on the camry hybrid or BMW diesel. haha

Interesting thing is that my dad who is the biggest Toyota Fan (never had any car outside of Toyota and Lexus, and currently has 10 LS) drove the 7 series as well, and guess what his next car is going to be? It just shows that how Germans are closing the gap rapidly.

Last edited by STIG; 11-30-11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-30-11, 07:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My son in law who had the LS460L and now a S550 saw the thread after I emailed him about it and emailed me this.I think the new gen LS is coming out in '13,though.

Very interesting. He is right on most topics. The one I disagree with is the trunk. The LS trunk seemed larger (it holds more office supplies for sure) and it did have the power close options etc....that he says it didn't. My LS also had heated steering wheel and the Benz doesnt. ML in LS better also.

On style, I give the Benz the edge. On features the Benz also wins. Ease of ride, the Lexus wins. The Benz does feel "heavy" by comparison--not bad, just different. He seemed to be in the Benz corner.

After 3 months of driving the Benz now, if the cars in 2013 had the exact same exterior stying, I would sacrifice a few features and pick the LS because of the reliability and the ML sound system. Those 2 items are more important than massaging seats but both cars are really great. All I know is 2013 should be great to see the new flagships for both Titans.

Dave

He's always been a Toyota/Lexus guy.My daughter drives a '10 LX570.Both their vehicles are owned and not leased.He doesn't buy new.Usually 1-3 years old with low mileage.
His S550 is an loaded with every option '08 with 17K miles he bought CPO for $58K from a MB dealer in MA.$108K new.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-30-11 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-30-11, 08:05 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should we bring the Jaguar XJ (X351) in this discussion as well? I think that car is also something that fits well into this league (with the Lexus LS, MB S-class, Audi A8 and BMW 7)

Btw
Some people mentioned that the HARMAN/KARDON system (I'm guessing the Logic 7 audio system) didn't sound nice on the S-class? How come?

Now, the newer versions of the S-class (like the AMG models) now come with BANG AND OLUFSEN as the flagship. I think the difference will be like night and day I guess.
Old 11-30-11, 08:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Should we bring the Jaguar XJ (X351) in this discussion as well? I think that car is also something that fits well into this league (with the Lexus LS, MB S-class, Audi A8 and BMW 7)

Btw
Some people mentioned that the HARMAN/KARDON system (I'm guessing the Logic 7 audio system) didn't sound nice on the S-class? How come?

Now, the newer versions of the S-class (like the AMG models) now come with BANG AND OLUFSEN as the flagship. I think the difference will be like night and day I guess.

I guess it's just the ML system in a LS is better than other systems.
Magazine articles have stated that the ML in a LS460 is the best sounding system available in a vehicle up to maybe a year or two ago.
Old 11-30-11, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I have a 2009 C class. I was upgrading my map data with a legit disc from navteq and even though it finished, it completely screwed up my nav. The dealer tried to update all the firmware but it did not solve the problem. None of the destination buttons did anything, it just gave me a "please wait" but never went to the actual menus. Well they had to order a new Comand unit. I believe it came with the latest firmware and latest map data. Either way, something is missing so I am not getting facelifted 2012 functions. MB was really behind in their tech. 2009: no bt audio streaming, no ipod controls on the navi screen even with ipod connector, no traffic, but you do get 6gb of hard drive.

I call it the red screen of death. I cant find any pictures online Its funny because you think the mb is a grey scale monotone color screen but it can turn red. I am sure the S class has a much more elaborate picture since it has an LCD screen.
man that's a bummer on the nav upgrade. now you make me wonder if i should do it, hehe...

i don't know if i should say mb is behind in tech. they have some features lexus don't, but of course short on some others. lexus didn't even have ipod and bt stream until 2010, but like you said mb ipod is quite silly. lexus traffic is through xm ($$), bmw is on fm (free) and mb on fm until 2010 i think

Originally Posted by adamls2
Nice write up man!! I can definitely relate o everything you said and I also agree with you on all your points made. I know my Cl is different but its very close to the w221 so the similarities are in your face. Definitely get a prestige feeling driving a Flagship Benz that's for sure...Also, like you mentioned the harmon kardon system was a let down (people hyped it up too much, 600wtts my *** LOL) For me each car is it's own thing. Like mentioned above it's all about personal taste and what you like.

LOL also I was like damn how is he getting over 500 on a tank?!?!? Then I realized why "facepalm" been filling up about twice a week now :/
yeah the cl and s are so similar but the cl is definitely ahead imho (everything considered). on the gas, lol i guess the v12 twin turbo is treating you well

Originally Posted by Neo
If you also want the whole thing to turn red, drive with the parking brake engaged.

I also love the 3-blink turn stalk. It's great for changing lanes/passing. I find I start to use it on my other cars only to be disappointed that it is not there.

It's about the little things.
yup luxury is all about the little extra "unnecessary" things it's funny when i had all 3 cars (m3, gs350, s550) together. every time i got into the gs350 i forgot to hold the turn signal stalk...

Originally Posted by STIG
When I was driving the LS and S class, I was constantly reminded that I am driving a huge luxury sedan, more so in the S550. 7 series drives like a compact car, and I was really surprised. The ride was firmer than the S class. The car I drove has sport package and optional 20 wheels on it, so that probably doesn't help much for the ride quality. As a previous M3 owner, I think you will like the way it drives, and will appreciate how much BMW spend time trying to get the driving dynamic down. Other amenities are pretty barbaric in the BMW, as usual. Seats are firm, navi is quite useless, etc.

I am ready to give up my M3 and move on the camry hybrid or BMW diesel. haha

Interesting thing is that my dad who is the biggest Toyota Fan (never had any car outside of Toyota and Lexus, and currently has 10 LS) drove the 7 series as well, and guess what his next car is going to be? It just shows that how Germans are closing the gap rapidly.
hahaha you are ready to give up your m3? how come, it's only been around 3 yrs. my m3 is going in within a month, lease ends, and i can't wait to move on to the next car

hopefully one day i get to experience more on the 7, really interested in seeing how that car is. never liked the e65, but the f01 seems to be a great improvement

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My son in law who had the LS460L and now a S550 saw the thread after I emailed him about it and emailed me this.I think the new gen LS is coming out in '13,though.

Very interesting. He is right on most topics. The one I disagree with is the trunk. The LS trunk seemed larger (it holds more office supplies for sure) and it did have the power close options etc....that he says it didn't. My LS also had heated steering wheel and the Benz doesnt. ML in LS better also.

On style, I give the Benz the edge. On features the Benz also wins. Ease of ride, the Lexus wins. The Benz does feel "heavy" by comparison--not bad, just different. He seemed to be in the Benz corner.

After 3 months of driving the Benz now, if the cars in 2013 had the exact same exterior stying, I would sacrifice a few features and pick the LS because of the reliability and the ML sound system. Those 2 items are more important than massaging seats but both cars are really great. All I know is 2013 should be great to see the new flagships for both Titans.

Dave

He's always been a Toyota/Lexus guy.My daughter drives a '10 LX570.Both their vehicles are owned and not leased.He doesn't buy new.Usually 1-3 years old with low mileage.
His S550 is an loaded with every option '08 with 17K miles he bought CPO for $58K from a MB dealer in MA.$108K new.
joe, thanks for the feedback, it's always great to have more voices

the LS trunk has close button, but you can't close the trunk by using the trunk button inside the car by the driver seat to close the trunk. on the S you can do that. it's something some LS owners complain about. also the S trunk lid there is the close and lock button, on the LS after trunk closed you have to arm the car separately

i think the new S is due around 2013, but not sure if it's 2012 as 2013 MY or 2013 as 2014 MY. either way around that time both the new LS and S would be out so it's going to be another great time

so the 08 didn't have heated steering option? i know both wood and heated wheel are options on the S class now. no idea if that was option on 07-09 though. mine doesn't even have wood wheel

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Btw

most definitely, i don't follow jag as much but it's definitely a great contender

yes it's the HK logic 7. i tried all the settings, left disappointed.

you are right that the new facelifted S has BO as their sound system. i guess they do that for a reason. curious to see how that compares to lexus, but then again that didn't happen until 2010. i wanted to do the same year comparison

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I guess it's just the ML system in a LS is better than other systems.
Magazine articles have stated that the ML in a LS460 is the best sounding system available in a vehicle up to maybe a year or two ago.
the ML in the LS is FAAAR better than the HK in the S550. in fact, i pretty much think the system in my old sc430 sounds better as well. the s550 system lacks clarity and base imho
Old 11-30-11, 08:57 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the MB. I too looked at the S550 when shopping for my DD a month ago. Beautiful looking vehicle, but the thought of feeding its gas tank turned me towards Lexus Hybrids...
Old 11-30-11, 08:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

if i were to own something for 10 years, i honestly say i probably want japanese. that's why we are focusing on lexus suv for our baby hauling. but otherwise i think germans might be ok now
My dad's GL350 Bluetec is running well
Old 11-30-11, 09:08 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I used to crave image, but after tried to own the S class and BMW 530, got scared away and went back to Lexus. But since recent reviews show the German reliability improvement, I want to go back to the darkside again. But my profession is kind of holding me back to purchase a "baller" car,
You just got unlucky and bought the wrong ones, that's why I never had an Euro car before, don't want to deal with those issues, no image is worth that kind of hassles.

But now they are good and Japanese cars are going down, maybe it is time to switch. Unless Japanese cars bounce back in a huge way...........like Lexus is saying "engineer amazing", I haven't seen it yet, but it takes a while. MB was in the dump from 99'-06', a good 6~7 years. Lexus started going into the tube starting around 06', so the next generation in 2~3 years might be good again.
Old 11-30-11, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good job, Henry. That's a better review than I've read in a lot of car magazines.

Lexus paint is famous for being soft, it's great for detailers in polishing the finish, but for most people, over years, it starts to develop a lot of swirls and scratches.
As for the swirl/scratch problem in Lexus paint as it ages, this should easily take care of it, as long as the scratches aren't too deep. It's a product I highly recommend....and use myself. It not only costs less than other over-the-counter scratch-emovers, but, IMO, does a better job.

Old 11-30-11, 09:23 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

i guess i am still torn. i care about the cool technologies and how i myself feel about the car. i absolutely don't need any praise or attention from others around me, if anything i try to avoid that...
I don't like to pretend I am rich or comment that say "you must be rich to own that car". But I like being seen in a cool car. Does that make sense?

to be honest, i think german cars drive better, my bmw and mb so far both prove it that way. but i absolutely love how i can just jump into a lexus and drive it without thinking, and i blend right in too
Euros are always superior in suspension tuning and steering feel, they always have drive better. They are just bad at electronic to make them not reliable.

you actually brought up a great point, joe! reading on the mb forums, so many people they change cars so often it's like changing clothes. a guy actually has had i think 4 w221 since 2007. when you can change cars like that, i guess reliability is never something you worry about, hehe...
I think the same way too, reliability is not a concern if you can get a new one every 2 years/25k miles.

yeah, with the w220 it's not a matter of whether it has problem, it's matter of how many problems you get. that car was just so poorly engineered it's nothing but headache. in fact in early years a lot of people got rid of theirs and went back to w140
I still think the W140 is the high point of the S-Class. I just think a proper flagship sedan should look tall and bulky, like the Phantom. The current trend of making everything sleek is wrong in my opinion, making everything look one class lower.

i would rank it that way too. the w220 is ridiculous on problems, the ls430 is king of quality and reliability
The LS430 is a copy of the W140 with Japanese electronics, making it the king of all world. Is funny how both MB and Lexus went down hill after the W140 and UCF30.
Old 11-30-11, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Euros are always superior in suspension tuning and steering feel, they always have drive better.
Actual steering feel, yes, I'll admit......BMW, IMO, is the undisputed king. But in suspension-tuning, some non-Euro nameplates are catching up. Subaru models, for example, are well-above average in this area, some new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products are also rapidly rising, and a truly superb new addition is from an unlikely nameplate......the Buick LaCrosse. You won't believe the level of ride/handling/steering compromise in the new LaCrosse until you drive it.
Old 11-30-11, 11:07 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actual steering feel, yes, I'll admit......BMW, IMO, is the undisputed king. But in suspension-tuning, some non-Euro nameplates are catching up. Subaru models, for example, are well-above average in this area, some new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products are also rapidly rising, and a truly superb new addition is from an unlikely nameplate......the Buick LaCrosse. You won't believe the level of ride/handling/steering compromise in the new LaCrosse until you drive it.
Very interesting, because i've heard the same kind of things from other sources as well. I guess the Buick name and price tag is what sets the car back the most in people's minds? I find it looks pretty good, and if it handles as well as everyone says those would be the 2 biggest things that leave most buyers skipping over the car i guess.
Old 11-30-11, 11:32 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice write up:

I almost 100% sure the S550 came with heated steering wheel as an option b/c it’s on my full loaded cl550. 2nd please update your telematic/Nav ASAP with the new firmware. I receive the upgrade with no problems and it’s amazing. Sound like RXSF dealer didn’t know what they were doing. But truthfully I wouldn’t even compare an S class to a C class. I’m driving one right now as a loaner while my CL gets service. Yes, the exterior is nice and the handling is precise. But the interior so so ….. I really wish you would have purchase one with the AMG package. It really makes the car look so much better. From your write up it sounds like you’re missing a lot toys. As far as compares MB reliability has improve a lot but I think Lexus still got them in that dept for sure. As for the radio I guess that’s up for debate now since MB switch. Anything else BENZ all the way but I’m bias.
Old 11-30-11, 11:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Congrats on the MB. I too looked at the S550 when shopping for my DD a month ago. Beautiful looking vehicle, but the thought of feeding its gas tank turned me towards Lexus Hybrids...
haha come on, you are getting the lfa, you can't be worrying about gas

to be honest though getting 22mpg in the s class that's not a very bad thought already. i mean, considering i am getting a nice 16mpg in my m3 now

Originally Posted by Allen K
My dad's GL350 Bluetec is running well
the GL.... prices on that car is getting so ridiculously attractive!!!!!

You just got unlucky and bought the wrong ones, that's why I never had an Euro car before, don't want to deal with those issues, no image is worth that kind of hassles.

But now they are good and Japanese cars are going down, maybe it is time to switch. Unless Japanese cars bounce back in a huge way...........like Lexus is saying "engineer amazing", I haven't seen it yet, but it takes a while. MB was in the dump from 99'-06', a good 6~7 years. Lexus started going into the tube starting around 06', so the next generation in 2~3 years might be good again.
yeah, those years i didn't really dare to get any mb at all, nothing but problems. bmw was holding up pretty ok with the e39 and e46 during those time, but their interior design was on the inferior side. recent years they have improved that.

i have a feeling though lexus quality will bump up again in the coming 2-3 years. they have learned their lesson.

Good job, Henry. That's a better review than I've read in a lot of car magazines.

As for the swirl/scratch problem in Lexus paint as it ages, this should easily take care of it, as long as the scratches aren't too deep. It's a product I highly recommend....and use myself. It not only costs less than other over-the-counter scratch-emovers, but, IMO, does a better job.
yeah i didn't say lexus paint is unfixable. in fact for detailers, lexus paints are so great to work with since they are soft and easy to polish.

but then i am pretty sure most of the owners, they just wash their cars and hardly worry about detailing.

I don't like to pretend I am rich or comment that say "you must be rich to own that car". But I like being seen in a cool car. Does that make sense?

Euros are always superior in suspension tuning and steering feel, they always have drive better. They are just bad at electronic to make them not reliable.

I think the same way too, reliability is not a concern if you can get a new one every 2 years/25k miles.

I still think the W140 is the high point of the S-Class. I just think a proper flagship sedan should look tall and bulky, like the Phantom. The current trend of making everything sleek is wrong in my opinion, making everything look one class lower.

The LS430 is a copy of the W140 with Japanese electronics, making it the king of all world. Is funny how both MB and Lexus went down hill after the W140 and UCF30.
man if anything i have to say lexus did a world of wonder with the ucf30. if it's a copy of the w140, lexus really took it to a whole new level because the car is just nothing short of fabulous. i still love that car so much

funny you brought up the w140. indeed going back to a lot of mb fans, they still prefer the boxy style and stance of the w140. of course the car is "old" by today's standard, but the way it's built, the quality and strength

when it comes to suspension, i think up front is what you want the car to ride like. i know plenty of people who doesn't want to feel one bit about the road, and that's why they love lexus so much. i totally respect that. but for me, i guess i prefer some kind of road feel and somewhat tighter suspension, thus why from a driving perspective german cars go better

haha if we talk about all mainstream cars, i probably would say porsche has even better steering. but yes, bmw does that very well too imho.

in the end, i think the truth is most cars nowadays are far more capable than what the drivers can do. i will never agree with people who say lexus cars don't handle well. i have had my share and even the ls460l, the car can handle very very well.

but the key is how confident the cars make the drivers feel about pushing it "further". on that, some cars do it better, some don't

Quick Reply: 2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)