Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help! Used RX350 vs Nissan Murano vs Mazda CX9 (budget 20k)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 09:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
In short, CVTs are awesome as well
My 50cc scooter has a CVT...

Old 11-30-11, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

To me, the smooth, quiet, refined RX and its reliability would be the way to go (I tend to like a cushy ride and quietness). But if you can get a CX-9 with much lower mileage for the same price, consider it. Keep in mind, though, that the CX-9 does not have the RX-level of reliability. The Murano, mechanically, is an OK vehicle in most areas, but Nissan did not add that extended-warranty on the CVT for no reason. And the Murano's styling, to me, looks like something that came out of a gelatin-mold.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-30-11, 09:52 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would skip the CX9 because it just drinks gas like Charlie Sheen drinks alcohol. It rides badly for an SUV and it is small for rear passengers. IMO for the same price I would go RX, much more refined, smoother and more reliable than the other 2
Old 11-30-11, 12:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The CX9 is an amazing bang for your buck, and can be packed with tons of tech. Can't go wrong with one.
Old 11-30-11, 12:06 PM
bolido
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
I would skip the CX9 because it just drinks gas like Charlie Sheen drinks alcohol. It rides badly for an SUV and it is small for rear passengers. IMO for the same price I would go RX, much more refined, smoother and more reliable than the other 2
For 2011 Mazda updated the CX-9 and the MPG is rated 17/24 which is pretty much the same as the competition. Just did 200 miles this weekend and got 21MPG on average. Not great but far from horrible. The second row also slides and it has tons of legroom. The 3rd row is decent for a SUV and comes in handy from time to time, which the RX obviously lacks. With the 20'' wheels the CX-9 rides harsher than an RX, but at the same time drives way better/sportier, so its a trade off.

Earlier CX-9 seemed to have more issues, but the current ones should be pretty good reliabilitywise. I agree that it probably won't be as reliabile as a Lexus, but the drive and the money saved more than make up for that
Old 11-30-11, 12:45 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by bolido
For 2011 Mazda updated the CX-9 and the MPG is rated 17/24 which is pretty much the same as the competition. Just did 200 miles this weekend and got 21MPG on average. Not great but far from horrible. The second row also slides and it has tons of legroom. The 3rd row is decent for a SUV and comes in handy from time to time, which the RX obviously lacks. With the 20'' wheels the CX-9 rides harsher than an RX, but at the same time drives way better/sportier, so its a trade off.

Earlier CX-9 seemed to have more issues, but the current ones should be pretty good reliabilitywise. I agree that it probably won't be as reliabile as a Lexus, but the drive and the money saved more than make up for that
I don't think you can get a 2011 CX-9 for 20k though, I agree that they might and that they should have updated it!
Old 11-30-11, 09:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

found some 2011's CX-9 between 20-23k with relatively low miles..

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ove...stingtype=used

Here some 07/08 RX350 in the area around me to give you a idea of pricing here in FL...

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ove...stingtype=used
Old 11-30-11, 10:57 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Thanks people.

I worked out a deal by owner for a 2005 RX330 (AWD) with Nav. Service records and carfax are good.

Only down side is the miles are high @ 97k miles, but the upside its only 15k and I don't pay sales tax just a 100 transfer fee. I have to decide by Thursday.

I have a second option to buy a 2007 RX350 with Nav (92K miles) for 19,500, but the wife wants to buy the cheaper one.

What to do.
Old 12-01-11, 03:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

If the timing belt was done on the 05 that maybe the better option. IF not the dealer should knock it down even more...

The 07 will have updated exterior and electronics (unless its the same for 05. not sure)... The 07 is due for the major service as well...

Have u thought about looking out of state?
Old 12-01-11, 07:33 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

RX all the way.
Old 12-01-11, 08:10 AM
LexFather

Which one does the wife want most? That would be my choice.

We checked the Murano out and its very well done but could not get passed the high price nor the looks and Nissan quality/reliability over time. It seems as well done as any Infiniti and was surprising a huge step from the previous model.

The CX9 is the biggest here and another winner, the worst interior but its still a fantastic SUV.

We went with a RX 400h and she's very happy and we have really enjoyed our times in the RX 450h loaners we have gotten, 30 MPG, beautiful, tons of technology inside and perfect for her.

Good luck! They all are good SUVs.

FYI, make sure the 90k services were done!

Old 12-01-11, 11:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The CX9 is the biggest here and another winner, the worst interior but its still a fantastic SUV.
I think its quite handsome

Old 12-02-11, 09:10 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

The interior is handsome and the material is decent, soft padded on the doors, the steering wheel backlit lights actually work (compares to my GS350). However, the navigation system (also made by Denso) is not user friendly but the stereo sounds better than my GS's Pioneer.

I have to disagree about some member's comments about the CX-9's reliability... I have no problem with this car for the two and a half years ownership, it's still solid as new and the dash does not squeak. On the other side, my GS350 has the rattling, squeaking, and all these dash noise since the first year. It was fixed but it comes and goes. Now I am out of basic warranty (extended warranty does not cover the noise) and the noises is driving me nuts, this should not happen on a car that is #2 expensive Lexus sedan. So does the 2nd generation RX has a better reliability than the 3rd Gen GS?

I think the OP is leaning toward the RX and I’d say go for it. You probably will be really happy at the end with the RX if it is the car you want more then the other two!
Old 12-02-11, 09:28 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I'd go with which ever RX has the 90k service done and if they both do I'd go for the cheaper 2005 unless you want the power of the 2007. Good luck! Going to be in the same boat to, my RX is getting old.
Old 12-02-11, 11:09 AM
bolido
Rookie

Originally Posted by memasterac

I have to disagree about some member's comments about the CX-9's reliability... I have no problem with this car for the two and a half years ownership, it's still solid as new and the dash does not squeak. !
OT: Glad to hear your CX-9 has held up well so far. No brake vibration issues? Few people were reporting brake issues on forums. I agree on the squeak and rattle comments. The CX-9 feels very solid and drives like a tank. No squeak and rattle so far. Sure, the materials used in my GS feel and look better but the car has started to squeak and rattle again in the mornings. Not to mention I still have the squeaky brakes issue.

Quick Reply: Help! Used RX350 vs Nissan Murano vs Mazda CX9 (budget 20k)