Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes creates "aero trailer" concept to improve big rig fuel efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mercedes creates "aero trailer" concept to improve big rig fuel efficiency

Mercedes creates "aero trailer" concept to improve big rig fuel efficiency

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-4637487/

Every time you drive by a semi and feel your car get pushed away from the rig, it reinforces the reality that tractor trailers punch a big, ragged hole in the atmosphere. It takes a lot of power to force those big boxes through the wind, and Mercedes Benz is working to please both fleet operators and the environmentally conscious by taking some of these heavy haulers for a spin in the wind tunnel for a much-needed aerodynamic tuneup.

The result is a trailer that features a front airdam, side trim panels rear diffuser, and a tapered rear design that adds up to an 18 percent reduction in wind resistance when paired with the Mercedes Actros tractor. Mercedes projects that a truck averaging 150,000 kilometers per year (93,205 miles) will save 2000 liters of diesel (528 gallons) while releasing five fewer tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

The wind-cheating changes leave the cargo box completely unaffected, though the aero trailer is going to need special legislative dispensation to allow its extra length on the road. The tail extension makes the trailer a half-meter too long than the current law allows, though other specialty trailers, like those with forklifts, have been given such consideration, paving the way for the more-efficient Mercedes trailers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/28/m...-big-rig-fuel/
Old 11-28-11, 01:48 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never understood why this hasn't happened ages ago.

NIce job Benz!
Old 11-28-11, 02:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

forget about fuel efficiency, that thing looks super awesome!
Old 11-28-11, 02:26 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice! I would love to see these on the road, cuz i agree that they look pretty bad *** I'm wondering what the price vs benefit on these kind of trailers would be though lol..
Old 11-28-11, 02:50 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

This wouldnt work. I worked at a warehouse, this kind of rear end with flaps wouldn't allow the trailer to dock with the bay properly lol
Old 11-28-11, 02:59 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
This wouldnt work. I worked at a warehouse, this kind of rear end with flaps wouldn't allow the trailer to dock with the bay properly lol
Good point. Well hopefully those flaps are motorized and can fold out of the way then
Old 11-28-11, 05:59 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rear end, as stated, does not allow for proper docking with building. Aero-skirts would get torn to shreads with ALOT of places that we have to go into to retrieve trailers (not all places believe in paving their drop yards for trailers) and in the Heavy snow areas, these things would hang the trailer on a snow bank quicker than quick. Trailers now are starting to come equipped with an lower aero-skirt kit to improve wind flow as well as reduce the "under-tow" pull when riding beside a trailer. We have enough problems with these things now as they are caught up easily and it doesn't take much to tear them off. Example pictured below,,

http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/aero/overview.shtml

Last edited by trukn1; 11-28-11 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 09:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust the Germans to come up with something like this. It looks sleek and functional! Well, functional for what it was designed to do. Some of you brought up good points about deep snow and docking at bays.
Old 11-29-11, 06:07 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not seen any of these new Actros trucks around, but they do look pretty nice for a truck.

Old 11-29-11, 07:58 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trukn1
Rear end, as stated, does not allow for proper docking with building. Aero-skirts would get torn to shreads with ALOT of places that we have to go into to retrieve trailers (not all places believe in paving their drop yards for trailers) and in the Heavy snow areas, these things would hang the trailer on a snow bank quicker than quick. Trailers now are starting to come equipped with an lower aero-skirt kit to improve wind flow as well as reduce the "under-tow" pull when riding beside a trailer. We have enough problems with these things now as they are caught up easily and it doesn't take much to tear them off. Example pictured below,,

http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/aero/overview.shtml
Where there's a will there's a way. All these new companies are try to go green, so when building new facilities they'll have a few docks to accommodate these new trailers its not an overnight thing but it will happen.
Old 11-29-11, 08:12 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I still dont think its feasible. A used trailer will cost 8k, these new Mercedes ones will most likely cost more than 30k.

Most trucking firms pay for gas, not the drivers (not sure about owner operators) so the incentive is for the firms to go green.

I think a tractor gets around 13 mpg at best, so unless the trailer can significantly improve gas mileage I dont think it makes financial sense for company to buy these new assets. On average 50% of a trucking firm's cost is gas expense, so if they are going to spend a $1mm to buy new trailers, they must save at least 150k on gas alone for it to make sense from an investment standpoint (assuming they make about 15% gross margin on trucking services).

Last but not least, trucking is a price competitive service where the trucking company are the lowest rung of the negotiating ladder. Warehouses will never upgrade their docking bays to accommodate just because some trucks are using green trailers. They will just call their customers and tell them their goods can't be unloaded because of the trucks they hired and the trucking firm will never get anymore business.
Old 11-29-11, 02:10 PM
JessePS

Funny thing is, the design reminds me of something I came across from the 50s.
Old 11-29-11, 02:16 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
I still dont think its feasible. A used trailer will cost 8k, these new Mercedes ones will most likely cost more than 30k.

Most trucking firms pay for gas, not the drivers (not sure about owner operators) so the incentive is for the firms to go green.

I think a tractor gets around 13 mpg at best, so unless the trailer can significantly improve gas mileage I dont think it makes financial sense for company to buy these new assets. On average 50% of a trucking firm's cost is gas expense, so if they are going to spend a $1mm to buy new trailers, they must save at least 150k on gas alone for it to make sense from an investment standpoint (assuming they make about 15% gross margin on trucking services).

Last but not least, trucking is a price competitive service where the trucking company are the lowest rung of the negotiating ladder. Warehouses will never upgrade their docking bays to accommodate just because some trucks are using green trailers. They will just call their customers and tell them their goods can't be unloaded because of the trucks they hired and the trucking firm will never get anymore business.
What if the floor of the trailer extended out to meet the dock so that the trailer didn't have to pull flush with the dock floor?
Old 11-29-11, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

that's arguable one of the best looking trucks Ive ever seen from a design standpoint
Old 11-29-11, 04:21 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
that's arguable one of the best looking trucks Ive ever seen from a design standpoint
damn better looking than the ml, gl, and glk

actually, would probably make a bad-*** coach/prevost killer

Quick Reply: Mercedes creates "aero trailer" concept to improve big rig fuel efficiency