Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unlicensed drivers in LA no longer have to worry about impounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 07:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Draft all illegals into militay. Don,t want to go? Fine the C17 will drop you off in any of a list of countries.
you would do that to me
Old 11-25-11, 08:38 AM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you guys feel about the "immigrants" the same way Native Americans feel about you guys. Except they have been forced to live in areas that no one wants so no one has to see them.

And don't act like it isn't the same thing. It just a longer time ago so everyone acts like it is too far removed to be relevant.
Old 11-25-11, 10:03 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
Such ignorant posts here, I won't get into it
Nothing ignorant about calling it what it is. The ignorant ones are the ones who want to make concessions for them. Ask anyone who came here legally how they feel about the preferential treatment many politicians try to give illegals. It's almost like a "Congrats, you got here illegally, here's a perk for that".

And in the article, the group saying that they are 'unfairly targeted because they can't get licenses and register their car'. Well of course not, they aren't supposed to be here in the first place. There is nothing unfair about that.

Last edited by Jewcano; 11-25-11 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-25-11, 01:14 PM
stick
Pole Position

I'm in law enforcement and I can tell you this is for one purpose only: MORE ELECTION VOTES. That's it, plain and simple. It's true. Seriously, there is no other reason. Right before Grey Davis was recalled as governor (in 2004?), he tried to get illegals the right to get a CA id cards--even though the vehicle code states you have to be a legal resident (born or naturalized, etc). He did it for votes so he would not be recalled.

99% of the time if I stop you and you are unlicensed or have a suspended license, you are getting your car towed. 90% percent of the people I stop are legal/citizens that have their licenses suspended because of unpaid tickets, etc; and if they are unlicensed it is because they only have an ID card or have NEVER been to the DMV. I've delt with 30 year olds that have never been to the DMV....wtf!
Old 11-25-11, 01:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

There are alternate means of getting around town. Amusingly, some ride a bicycle in an equally dangerous manner as they might drive.
Old 11-25-11, 09:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

There are so many cars in the L.A./SoCal region that this law may (?) simply reflect many of the local impound-lots already filled to overflowing. It may not make sense to try and impound cars if there's simply no place to put them.
Old 11-26-11, 12:04 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Im so glad I don't live on the west coast.
Old 11-26-11, 02:05 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got hit by an unlicensed and uninsured driver (we'll call him #3) before. Pissed me off. I was caught in the middle of the 3 car accident and the guy in front (#1) spoke Spanish as well and they were talking with each other as we waited for the police to come and file a report and the tow trucks. They told the cop that I was the one who hit #1 and that #3 hit me afterward. This was so that my insurance would be responsible for #1's damage as he knew #3 didn't have insurance!
Old 11-26-11, 03:43 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I believe the purpose of this law was to not screw over the actual owner of the car, who may/may not be legally licensed and insured.

The fact of life is this, we have a ton of illegal immigrants in this state, and for them to actually be productive instead of purely taking up space (since obviously they arent going anywhere and most of them want to work) they need to be able to drive to work and school. WE force them to drive illegally instead of legally by denying them licenses and insurance, we deny ourselves tax dollars by not registering them, and deny ourselves safety by not allowing them the chance to get licenses so that they may be forced to get insurance, and then we get surprised when so many young minorities turn to crime and anarchy. Yes, they are here illegally, but until we solve the bigger problem of immigration any low-level legislation like driver's license laws and etc. is just us taking pot shots to make ourselves feel better.
Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Can't those same unlicensed drivers reclaim their cars after 30 days if they pay the fee? If so, then what's the point of the law. Give them a means to get a license and thus insurance. Why have them pay a ton of fees if when they get it out, they remain at the same status as 30 days previously.

You guys are screaming impound like the car is gone for good.
This!

Originally Posted by RaceSC300
I guess you guys feel about the "immigrants" the same way Native Americans feel about you guys. Except they have been forced to live in areas that no one wants so no one has to see them.

And don't act like it isn't the same thing. It just a longer time ago so everyone acts like it is too far removed to be relevant.
And this!