Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Stereotypes, in China

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I know why because I am Chinese

Buick and Audi sold in China are both made in China in very high quantity, so they are cheap. Plus a lot of their models are made specifically for the Chinese preferences, so they are the most popular choice of vehicles.

Buick is extremely successful in china due to their very talented and impressive marketing group.

Audi/VW got huge manufacturing plant in China, and Audis are cheap, so people love them.
China, like the U.S., is a huge country with cold winters and lots of bad-weather areas. That could explain the popularity of Quattro-equipped Audis.
Old 11-15-11, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDream
Now it makes sense. I was wondering why GM kept Buick and killed of pontiac/saturn, which were doing much better in the US.
Simple......Buick, even in the U.S., has a huge customer-base, even if that base, in general, is somewhat older than average. But the idea that Buick is an "Old Man's Car" is an commonly-used but often-inaccurate stereotype, perpetrated mainly by the auto-press. The truth is that more younger people drive Buicks than are given credit for. Heck, I myself had two of them in college (a large full-size one and a smaller Skylark), before I was age 20 and liked both of them. And my best-friend at the time (my old high-school car-enthusiast-buddy) also liked Buicks and Oldsmobiles.

It would have been a disaster for GM to drop Buick. It's bad enough that they deliberately ruined Saturn through some of the most idiotic mismanagement I've ever seen in the car-industry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-11 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 10:16 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out these Buick commercials in China.. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVnOl...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TNVe...eature=related
Old 11-15-11, 10:48 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIde with your turbo beat LOL