Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to increase its sporty quotient (Updated)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 01:06 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The IS F sold over 13k units in its production run, not bad at all for a first time 65k Japanese sports sedan no one hardly knows about with no coupe or convertible variants.

Every F-sport car so far has sold in greater percentages than initially forecasted. People want F-sport cars even if its just to be seen in and not to drive to their full abilities.

Also the world is not ending as bitkahuna likes to post about. It was recently posted we have like a 1,000 fold increase in 500-600hp cars compared to 10 years ago and there are more on the way.

Brand have figured out how to add more power and add more efficiency which is true engineering and technology compared to just adding more power. Anyone can do that.
BMW dropped the M3 sedan because it didn't sell well compared to the coupe. Not many people looking at that type of car want the 4 doors. Therefore, the fact that Lexus solely offered a 4 door IS-F and it didn't sell well, is not indicative of a lack of demand for a 2 door IS-F equivalent on the new IS platform.

I think, as we all feel, the lack of a solid offering in this segment is driving away customers that would love to give Lexus their money. The lackluster 3IS offering certainly drove me into an Audi.
Old 07-30-13, 01:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
BMW dropped the M3 sedan because it didn't sell well compared to the coupe. Not many people looking at that type of car want the 4 doors. Therefore, the fact that Lexus solely offered a 4 door IS-F and it didn't sell well, is not indicative of a lack of demand for a 2 door IS-F equivalent on the new IS platform.

I think, as we all feel, the lack of a solid offering in this segment is driving away customers that would love to give Lexus their money. The lackluster 3IS offering certainly drove me into an Audi.
is that the actual reason? i didn't follow, but i thought they stopped the m3 sedan coz' the new body style sedan came out, and they always put at least a year gap between model style release and the m release
Old 07-30-13, 02:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

dang, can't believe this website used this thread's EXACT TITLE

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2aXYRbTJg
Old 07-30-13, 03:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dang, can't believe this website used this thread's EXACT TITLE

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2aXYRbTJg
paul, post #10?

Last edited by rominl; 07-30-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
is that the actual reason? i didn't follow, but i thought they stopped the m3 sedan coz' the new body style sedan came out, and they always put at least a year gap between model style release and the m release
i am pretty sure too... just like lexus is dropping IS-F and then some people thought it meant death of F :-)
Old 07-30-13, 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The IS F sold over 13k units in its production run, not bad at all for a first time 65k Japanese sports sedan no one hardly knows about with no coupe or convertible variants.
so sales number is definitely not something lexus should remotely based on like TRD tried to justify, because looking at the m3 numbers and it's multiple times that of isf (granted more variants). from sales number the isf didn't sell a lot per se, but for what it is (introduction of f brand, putting lexus on the map, a change of direction, etc...) it was well positioned and executed, no one can discount that
Old 07-30-13, 04:42 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This. I don't think sales was a problem with the 4 door M3. I just wish they made more 6 speed M3 sedans.
Old 07-30-13, 05:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

so sales number is definitely not something lexus should remotely based on like TRD tried to justify, because looking at the m3 numbers and it's multiple times that of isf (granted more variants). from sales number the isf didn't sell a lot per se, but for what it is (introduction of f brand, putting lexus on the map, a change of direction, etc...) it was well positioned and executed, no one can discount that
is-f sold actually pretty well, probably above their expectations... 2008 was the best year, they made 5,828, which is more than M3 Sedan that was brand new for that year - of course, M3 Coupe sold a lot more... but still, good numbers.

Still, if you look at all these numbers, they are pretty small... even for M brand they are relatively small, especially these days where I expect that they are hard sell in Europe due to emissions.

These are brand builders, just like LFA.
Old 07-30-13, 06:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
is-f sold actually pretty well, probably above their expectations... 2008 was the best year, they made 5,828, which is more than M3 Sedan that was brand new for that year - of course, M3 Coupe sold a lot more... but still, good numbers.

Still, if you look at all these numbers, they are pretty small... even for M brand they are relatively small, especially these days where I expect that they are hard sell in Europe due to emissions.

These are brand builders, just like LFA.
that's exactly why i said sales numbers should not be much of a factor at all when developing these cars
Old 07-30-13, 07:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really? how well? numbers?

the isf is definitely a great start for lexus and f should definitely continue (for branding), but not because of sales figures, and should never be, coz' that will never makes sense. i would really like to see what you mean isf sold very well for it class and how that's justified

f (and sport) has been a struggle inside of lexus in terms of political power, but at least there is a struggle whereas 10 years ago there was virtually no sport. there are some very positive strong opinion people inside of toyota and lexus trying to change it and i think it's been moving in the right direction. and of course with toyoda onboard it's a big help
Blueprint mentioned the numbers, and I don't have time to dig them up in detail. The numbers were discussed in detail a long time ago in some CL threads.

Compared to the M3 sedan and C63 sedan (excluding all other M3 and C63 variants), yes the IS F *DID* sell very well.

IS F isn't about sales figures yes, but it also can't be ignored completely. Obviously for the future success of the F brand, the mainstream F cars actually have to sell, and sell well. The LFA obviously doesn't count, even the production LF-LC won't really count, as that will be a very high end model. But models like the IS F, coming RC F and GS F, those definitely do need to sell well.
Old 07-30-13, 11:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Blueprint mentioned the numbers, and I don't have time to dig them up in detail. The numbers were discussed in detail a long time ago in some CL threads.

Compared to the M3 sedan and C63 sedan (excluding all other M3 and C63 variants), yes the IS F *DID* sell very well.
how about you find the time to get the m3 and c63 sedan numbers over the years and then compared to the 13k to-date number on isf and then we discuss the "did sell very well" part? outside of car meets, i see far more m3 and c63 sedans than isf

again, i am not dissing the isf at all, i constantly give tons of credit to that car and how lexus executed it. and it definitely doesn't sell bad at all either. but i am just not sure about the sell very well in its segment part.

when on one hand some are trying to argue that a v8 gs is insignificant and the market is so little (ie very low sales number), i just can't see how suddenly selling well becomes a crucial point in cars like isf (or m or amg). these are just cars to make a point to prove the branding
Old 07-31-13, 12:35 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about you find the time to get the m3 and c63 sedan numbers over the years and then compared to the 13k to-date number on isf and then we discuss the "did sell very well" part? outside of car meets, i see far more m3 and c63 sedans than isf

again, i am not dissing the isf at all, i constantly give tons of credit to that car and how lexus executed it. and it definitely doesn't sell bad at all either. but i am just not sure about the sell very well in its segment part.

when on one hand some are trying to argue that a v8 gs is insignificant and the market is so little (ie very low sales number), i just can't see how suddenly selling well becomes a crucial point in cars like isf (or m or amg). these are just cars to make a point to prove the branding
I'm not going to argue this with you. I know roughly what the numbers are when comparing the sedans of that class.

I will simply agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Old 07-31-13, 04:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

paul, post #10?
haha, guess this old thread got merged and got the new article title.
Old 07-31-13, 09:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, guess this old thread got merged and got the new article title.
I didn't merge any threads, the old post was updated with the new article, so I changed the title to reflect that
Old 07-31-13, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I didn't merge any threads, the old post was updated with the new article, so I changed the title to reflect that
bad andrew