Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to increase its sporty quotient (Updated)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 11:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I hope this "increasing sporty quotient" is true, because recently Lexus considered axing the F marque in favor of simply F-Sport as it's wildly popular. My manager is on the Lexus Product Council and relayed the message to me. I was dumbfounded as was he. F is apparently not a big seller.. well duh you only had the IS-F and very limited LFA. Now seeing the actual GS-F in the RC-F thread proves otherwise but what's been said has been said. This is all coming from the same guys who were going to price the upcoming NX near $50K fully loaded (um RX already reaches that and NX is smaller ), Anyway now it's just me ranting, but good news RC and NX will be out in late 2014 as 15 models

That's cool
that just proves how much dealers know about future product coming up from Japan :-)
Old 07-29-13, 12:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
that just proves how much dealers know about future product coming up from Japan :-)
It also helps if you have ties to the Lexus Product Council
Old 07-29-13, 01:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool article and it sheds light on the Lexus path as well as some of the issues I have had with their cars. They are amazing vehicles but they are not as good as they were 10-12 years ago.
Old 07-29-13, 01:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
very cool article and it sheds light on the Lexus path as well as some of the issues I have had with their cars. They are amazing vehicles but they are not as good as they were 10-12 years ago.
you mean article from 2 years ago? :-)
Old 07-29-13, 10:05 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Big things are coming Lexus people!
Old 07-30-13, 12:29 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this "increasing sporty quotient" is true, because recently Lexus considered axing the F marque in favor of simply F-Sport as it's wildly popular. My manager is on the Lexus Product Council and relayed the message to me. I was dumbfounded as was he. F is apparently not a big seller.. well duh you only had the IS-F and very limited LFA. Now seeing the actual GS-F in the RC-F thread proves otherwise but what's been said has been said. This is all coming from the same guys who were going to price the upcoming NX near $50K fully loaded (um RX already reaches that and NX is smaller ), Anyway now it's just me ranting, but good news RC and NX will be out in late 2014 as 15 models
Who was making these decisions? Was it North American Lexus executives or Japanese Lexus executives? How true were any of these rumours?

I have one thing to say; if there is ANY truth to these rumours, then whoever was discussing the possibility of axing the F cars is a FOOL and totally clueless! Whether it's an American or Japanese exec, it doesn't matter.

The LFA was meant to be a PURE halo model and engineering marvel. Sales figures have NOTHING to do with it.

The IS F over the past few years sold VERY WELL for its class; the M3/C63 class of cars.
Old 07-30-13, 01:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Who was making these decisions? Was it North American Lexus executives or Japanese Lexus executives? How true were any of these rumours?

I have one thing to say; if there is ANY truth to these rumours, then whoever was discussing the possibility of axing the F cars is a FOOL and totally clueless! Whether it's an American or Japanese exec, it doesn't matter.

The LFA was meant to be a PURE halo model and engineering marvel. Sales figures have NOTHING to do with it.

The IS F over the past few years sold VERY WELL for its class; the M3/C63 class of cars.
It'd have to be North American executives, but I'm sure the bean counters from both sides are also responsible
Old 07-30-13, 03:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'd have to be North American executives, but I'm sure the bean counters from both sides are also responsible
I see. Well I can only hope that Akio Toyoda holds enough sway and power to prevent such foolish decisions, and prevent any repeats of what happened with Toyota in the late 1990s and early 2000s when bean counters and financial guys took over the company, because the Toyoda family got a bit too relaxed.
Old 07-30-13, 05:06 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Phasing out GX for TX? That will be interesting, if true. I heard that the GX would just switch to a unibody platform with the same name. Perhaps they plan to position TX as a grand tourer, something different?
Why phasing out the name GX? It's got its reputation and its well-known within the Lexus line. I would just stick to the same name and re-engineer it as the same platform used by the RX and not by the LX.
Old 07-30-13, 05:51 AM
LexFather

Lexus has gotten some serious feedback from me on their social media or lack of it. It's good to see them far more active.

The new cars drive amazing... Keep it up Lexus

Old 07-30-13, 06:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Well I can only hope that Akio Toyoda holds enough sway and power to prevent such foolish decisions, and prevent any repeats of what happened with Toyota in the late 1990s and early 2000s when bean counters and financial guys took over the company, because the Toyoda family got a bit too relaxed.
you make them sound like a royal family with naughty royal court staff.

i somehow don't think toyota works that way.
Old 07-30-13, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

problem is, if 'big idea planners' (read: Liberals and environmentalists) have their way, the vast majority of people will live in cramped and crowded cities where sporty cars will be pointless.

but it's really awesome to see the progress Lexus has and is making - a huge improvement in the past decade.
Old 07-30-13, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

really? how well? numbers?

the isf is definitely a great start for lexus and f should definitely continue (for branding), but not because of sales figures, and should never be, coz' that will never makes sense. i would really like to see what you mean isf sold very well for it class and how that's justified

f (and sport) has been a struggle inside of lexus in terms of political power, but at least there is a struggle whereas 10 years ago there was virtually no sport. there are some very positive strong opinion people inside of toyota and lexus trying to change it and i think it's been moving in the right direction. and of course with toyoda onboard it's a big help

Last edited by rominl; 07-30-13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-30-13, 11:12 AM
LexFather

The IS F sold over 13k units in its production run, not bad at all for a first time 65k Japanese sports sedan no one hardly knows about with no coupe or convertible variants.

Every F-sport car so far has sold in greater percentages than initially forecasted. People want F-sport cars even if its just to be seen in and not to drive to their full abilities.

Also the world is not ending as bitkahuna likes to post about. It was recently posted we have like a 1,000 fold increase in 500-600hp cars compared to 10 years ago and there are more on the way.

Brand have figured out how to add more power and add more efficiency which is true engineering and technology compared to just adding more power. Anyone can do that.

Old 07-30-13, 12:03 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
problem is, if 'big idea planners' (read: Liberals and environmentalists) have their way, the vast majority of people will live in cramped and crowded cities where sporty cars will be pointless.
^^^
Valid point

With that said, those Greenpeace mother****ers should move out of the way.........otherwise, super car owners would feel the need to run over these hippies.

Quick Reply: Lexus to increase its sporty quotient (Updated)