Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reliability of 07+ Chevrolet Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 10:21 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Reliability of 07+ Chevrolet Tahoe?

I'm really considering going American this time when shopping for an SUV, as I've always been fond of the new body Tahoe's.

Considering just leasing a new one or buying a CPO, as they drop in value so fast and resale on them sucks, so the buying new is out of the question, but more than likely, we will buy a CPO.

How reliable are these things? I hear countless stories saying GM is junk, P.O.S., just about everything you can call them, I've heard it. I've browsed the forums, and know the trimming around the rear windows comes off and that's not too big of a deal for me.

I'm afraid of major things like, electrical issues, the transfer case, transmission, etc.?

Being that they are the ideal "soccer mom" vehicle, many that we have looked at tend to have high mileage. Average low mileage for an 07-08 LTZ is about 55k-65k, but most of them that I've seen is around 80k to as high as 181k. I'd consider an 09, but that's still basically new to me and the prices in the midwest for these things are insane for 09+. I'm looking at loaded 4WD LTZ's with navi, rear DVD entertainment, parking sensors, captains chairs, the works!

My GS 350 is an 08, almost 4 years old and just hit 35k, so I consider that low.

Anyone with personal experience or know someone personally care to chime in? I am ready to buy as soon as this weekend and I know every option to look for, but don't know as much in terms of their reliability, as we've been looking for a few months and the winter season is just around the corner.

I've looked at other SUV's as well. I like Lexus' sedan lineup, but their SUV lineup to me in particular is straight ugly, except for the new LX570, but even that doesn't appeal to me as much as the new Tahoe. Considered BMW X5 4.8xi and even the Porsche Cayenne, but German reliability sucks, so the Tahoe it is unless you guys say otherwise.
Old 11-03-11, 10:36 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A quick search yields transmission issues for the 07 on Edmunds

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/tah...liability.html

Looks like they may have fixed it for 08...

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/tah...liability.html

Good decision leaning towards CPO though. I think CPO is the way to buy. You get a good warranty and a lot of the depreciation is already done
Old 11-03-11, 10:44 AM
tungo
Intermediate

I saw the edmunds listing. Brother in law has an 07 Burban with no transmission issues, except the recall problem in which they place a plastic gasket somewhere to keep the thing from consuming or leaking oil.

He is a mechanic and keeps up with it. I would do the same.
Old 11-03-11, 10:55 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tungo
I saw the edmunds listing. Brother in law has an 07 Burban with no transmission issues, except the recall problem in which they place a plastic gasket somewhere to keep the thing from consuming or leaking oil.

He is a mechanic and keeps up with it. I would do the same.
Well the 07 Suburban doesn't have the 4L60E/4L65E.

It had the 4L80E/4L85E it looks like.

Just something to keep in mind
Old 11-03-11, 11:09 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

My hell, they still make the 4L60E?

That transmission has been around forever...... I hope they at least have updated it really well.

I thought all the 07+ had 6-speed autos now.
Old 11-03-11, 11:11 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
My hell, they still make the 4L60E?

That transmission has been around forever...... I hope they at least have updated it really well.

I thought all the 07+ had 6-speed autos now.
Looks like they did on certain models!

A 6-speed 6L80 automatic transmission replaced the 4-speed on all trucks except 2WD models with the 4.8 L engine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Tahoe
Old 11-03-11, 11:17 AM
tungo
Intermediate

07-08 have the 4-Speed. The 09+ have the 6-Speed transmissions. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-03-11, 11:26 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are pretty decent all around, I would do the 08+.

I have a Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 as a tow rig, no complaints really, add a back cab on and its a tahoe

The 08-09+ has the 100k \ 5 years warr which is a bonus
Old 11-03-11, 11:36 AM
tungo
Intermediate

I am looking at an 07 LTZ CPO with every option, including power running boards, and also purchasing an extended warranty. Worth it or should I really just venture for an 08? Powertrain warranty runs to 100k, but it doesn't cover electrical and I worry about that as much as I do the transmission.
Old 11-03-11, 12:52 PM
bolido
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at the Tahoe as well but was shocked at how small the third row seat is as well as the space behind it. The expedition is way bigger than the Tahoe. Otherwise, I like the looks of it as well.
Old 11-03-11, 01:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think Consumer Reports rates it at average or a bit below. I don't think it would be a big burden to you if you didn't drive the heck out of it. Just be prepared for abismal fuel mileage.
Old 11-03-11, 02:26 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bolido
I was looking at the Tahoe as well but was shocked at how small the third row seat is as well as the space behind it. The expedition is way bigger than the Tahoe. Otherwise, I like the looks of it as well.
My uncle has a 2009, +1 on the 3rd row being basically impossible to use lol. There's NO leg room whatsoever back there. He just ditched the 3rd row and uses the car with 2 rows and room in the rear now.
Old 11-03-11, 02:31 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 07' Tahoe since brand new. Have about 95k on it now. There were a few bugs for the first couple of years but GM addressed them with TSB's. So as long as the seller is **** about maintenance and keeping up with TSB's, you should have no issues.

I've had no Transmission issues at all. Gas mileage is not that bad at all....average about 17.5-19 with about 50/50 city/hway driving. I've added quite a bit to it over the years like 22's, headrest moniters, dvd system in dash, 2/3 Belltech drop, projector headlights, exhaust, intake blah blah blah

The brakes lasted forever on this thing....just did my first brake job at 92K for the fronts and the backs are still the same from when I bought it. I'm probably one of the few on here that has owned one for almost 5 years and i can say it's been a great vehicle. Good luck finding one.
Old 11-03-11, 02:40 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I've had my 07' Tahoe since brand new. Have about 95k on it now. There were a few bugs for the first couple of years but GM addressed them with TSB's. So as long as the seller is **** about maintenance and keeping up with TSB's, you should have no issues.

I've had no Transmission issues at all. Gas mileage is not that bad at all....average about 17.5-19 with about 50/50 city/hway driving. I've added quite a bit to it over the years like 22's, headrest moniters, dvd system in dash, 2/3 Belltech drop, projector headlights, exhaust, intake blah blah blah

The brakes lasted forever on this thing....just did my first brake job at 92K for the fronts and the backs are still the same from when I bought it. I'm probably one of the few on here that has owned one for almost 5 years and i can say it's been a great vehicle. Good luck finding one.
Wow 92k for brakes for an SUV? That's excellent
Old 11-03-11, 02:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think Consumer Reports rates it at average or a bit below. I don't think it would be a big burden to you if you didn't drive the heck out of it. Just be prepared for abismal fuel mileage.
Yes, Consumer Reports rates the 07 & 08 Tahoe "Below Average" in "Predicted Reliability". For Trans Major and Trans Minor they rate Above Average and Well Above Average.

Some kind of extended warranty sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply: Reliability of 07+ Chevrolet Tahoe?