Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

F10 M5: 0-60 in 3.7 sec, Quarter Mile in 12.0 sec !

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Impressive with the chip. Still shared with SUVs sorry and debuted first on SUVs. I understand the 5 becoming to big and softer for sales but at that point why not just get the E63 or RS6? The line at this point is so blurry whereas in the past, BMW was by far the drivers car.

I didn't say new Ferrari The stock performance of these sedans is mind blowing.

I don't want an estimate b/c I could estimate it. I think it would be much more fun and interesting to see these sedans tested with people/things in it since that is why people buy them. It would be fun data to compare. Of course this is another magazine missing the point just hoping to get people all hot and bothered with a lower 0-60 time to put on their cover.
i have driven the e63 (w212) 6.2l version. i would think the new e63 is about the same. the car still feel quite unbalanced and front heavy. if the m5 is still something close to e60 in terms of balance, that would still be a better to drive. if it gets so bad (close) to the e63, then it's a disappointment

i guess my point is there is still a pretty bi gap between e63 and m5 in terms of the driving dynamics, etc... it really depends on where bmw wants to land it
Old 10-28-11, 12:05 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people who buy the car don't care too much about 0-60 except to brag about it. Most never use the horsepower anyways, I think too much is made on power. That's the reason I choose the ISF over the M3 was the options Lexus provided!

I love the power but I can care less about having that much power unless I can still get good gas mileage.
Old 10-28-11, 07:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNR34
But even though the C63 got the same power, somehow something make the RS4 feel more special.
I drove the RS4, I didn't find anything amazing about it, dull steering feel from the 4WD, boring engine sounds......etc. The only thing cool on it are the flared fenders and the badge.
Uh, what?
Old 10-28-11, 11:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Impressive with the chip.
Stock boost on the SUV is only 17 psi, so it is easy 55 hp gain with +2 psi. 22 psi on the M5, not sure how much more they can add before detonation on 91.

Still shared with SUVs sorry and debuted first on SUVs.
I call my LS430 and SC430 sharing an engine, X-M and M5.......not so much, sharing the block at best. On paper I guess, I know what you mean, is like calling the LS600 and ISF sharing an engine.

I understand the 5 becoming to big and softer for sales but at that point why not just get the E63 or RS6? The line at this point is so blurry whereas in the past, BMW was by far the drivers car.
They all offer something different, when you know exactly what you want, the choice is clear.

I didn't say new Ferrari
In that case, all you need is a bone stock Camry to smoke an old Ferrari. You don't need no twin turbo M5

http://youtu.be/4IrJH6gz0ug

The stock performance of these sedans is mind blowing.
Definitely!

I don't want an estimate b/c I could estimate it. I think it would be much more fun and interesting to see these sedans tested with people/things in it since that is why people buy them. It would be fun data to compare. Of course this is another magazine missing the point just hoping to get people all hot and bothered with a lower 0-60 time to put on their cover.
I see your point, it is fun to see a M5 with 5 people in it smoking a Boxster. I am just lazy, why actually do it when I can closely estimate the result already
Old 10-28-11, 12:03 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i have driven the e63 (w212) 6.2l version. i would think the new e63 is about the same. the car still feel quite unbalanced and front heavy. if the m5 is still something close to e60 in terms of balance, that would still be a better to drive. if it gets so bad (close) to the e63, then it's a disappointment

i guess my point is there is still a pretty bi gap between e63 and m5 in terms of the driving dynamics, etc... it really depends on where bmw wants to land it
New 5 is softer mainly with the regular models to attract mainstream buyers, I don't think they would soften up the M enough to ruin the driving dynamics.
Old 10-28-11, 12:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by js619858
Most people who buy the car don't care too much about 0-60 except to brag about it. Most never use the horsepower anyways, I think too much is made on power. That's the reason I choose the ISF over the M3 was the options Lexus provided!

I love the power but I can care less about having that much power unless I can still get good gas mileage.
There are exceptions to every rule, you must be in the exception group, seeing how you mention gas mileage proved that.

Around where I live, people floor their cars at every light, they sure use every drop of the 0-60 from their cars. I just witnessed a 0-100 race the other day, Continental GT Speed vs. W221 S65........WOT, surprised at how loud that GT Speed was, maybe it aren't stock

I see races in my neighborhood everyday, usually the normal stuff....E46 M3 vs. 335i, VW R32 vs. GTI, 996 vs. Cayman, but once in a while I see cool stuff like the Conti Speed vs. 65!

Last edited by BNR34; 10-28-11 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 12:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Uh, what?
GREAT catch! I can explain

But even though the C63 got the same power, somehow something make the RS4 feel more special.
This is referring to the image, prestige, the overall feel of the car without driving it. The RS4 looks meaner with those huge flared fenders and they are cooler because they are so rare, you rarely see them. As oppose to the dime a dozen M3 and C63 that you see in every corners.

I drove the RS4, I didn't find anything amazing about it, dull steering feel from the 4WD, boring engine sounds......etc. The only thing cool on it are the flared fenders and the badge.
This is referring to the driving experiences. It is nothing delicious like the V8 M3.
Old 10-28-11, 02:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

New 5 is softer mainly with the regular models to attract mainstream buyers, I don't think they would soften up the M enough to ruin the driving dynamics.
i think some reviews already said the m5 got softer (compared to the e60). not surprised about that actually. but at the same time i personally also don't think it will get close to the e63
Old 10-28-11, 08:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

i think some reviews already said the m5 got softer (compared to the e60). not surprised about that actually. but at the same time i personally also don't think it will get close to the e63
E63 is on air springs, that factor alone makes it feel softer.
Old 10-29-11, 06:33 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the people driving M5 are older males about 60 sitting on investments, that bought the car, Im sure younger buyers are out there but typically older, so a softer suspension is welcomed
Old 11-01-11, 05:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I was reading the latest article on Road & Track on the F10 M, I am getting the warm and fuzzy. this is not good........... very few cars give me the warm and fuzzy
Old 11-01-11, 05:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Most of the people driving M5 are older males about 60 sitting on investments, that bought the car, Im sure younger buyers are out there but typically older, so a softer suspension is welcomed
Agreed
Old 11-01-11, 05:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I was reading the latest article on Road & Track on the F10 M, I am getting the warm and fuzzy. this is not good........... very few cars give me the warm and fuzzy
really interesting in seeing how bmw approach the m5 this time, given the kind of changes they facing
Old 11-02-11, 07:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

really interesting in seeing how bmw approach the m5 this time, given the kind of changes they facing
For the fact that I love the E9X M3 and I like it softer now a days, I have a feeling I would love the F10 M...............sigh, I don't want to lust after something I don't want to pay for
Old 11-02-11, 08:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

For the fact that I love the E9X M3 and I like it softer now a days, I have a feeling I would love the F10 M...............sigh, I don't want to lust after something I don't want to pay for
hahhaha seems like you are narrowing down your choices

i am interested to find out about the FI setup, the lag, the weight, etc...

Quick Reply: F10 M5: 0-60 in 3.7 sec, Quarter Mile in 12.0 sec !