Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Leaf EV

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 01:48 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan Leaf EV

My pops just picked up a 2011 Nissan Leaf EV. He's got solar, so the EV runs off sunlight.
The photvoltaic panels harvest sunlight. The solar system is connected directly to the LADWP grid, so his meter actually goes backwards. This creates a more stable and substainable power grid for all.

The Leaf has a decent amount of acceleration and power. There is no pedal lag and the power goes to the wheels instantly. I can safely say that its alot faster than my dad's 2nd gen prius.

The only limitation is that it has a max range of 80-85 miles per charge. So you're not going to be going from LA to Vegas, or from LA back to OC for that matter. But its a perfect daily driver. He charges only twice a week. My only qualm about the Leaf is that the sun visors are inadequate. That plus the range limitation. He should have gotten a Chevy Volt. But then again, he's a purist.

Enjoy:

Independent solar panel on the Leaf runs the accessory belt.
Old 10-26-11, 02:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

thats great. I like the Nissan Leaf the best of all the affordable EV cars. Also it is great that your father has solar panels. I wanted to get them for my house, but here in SF, the fog severely limits the amount of sun we get so it didnt make sense. My roof is also flat so I would have to put a stand for the panels. Congrats to your dad. I think everyone should get solar panels
Old 10-26-11, 02:20 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always wanted to drive the Nissan Leaf just to see how it drives. I've heard mixed reviews, but most people agree its a great electric car if your doing mostly around the city driving or short stints on the highway. That's awesome though that your dad has the house hooked up with solar panels! Charging the car with solar?! nice! Out of curiosity, do you know how long it takes to charge that thing up from dead to full?
Old 10-26-11, 02:38 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the perfect setup right there.

Of course, add a home made biodiesel vehicle for the long distance vehicle and he would be set
Old 10-26-11, 02:39 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I've always wanted to drive the Nissan Leaf just to see how it drives. I've heard mixed reviews, but most people agree its a great electric car if your doing mostly around the city driving or short stints on the highway. That's awesome though that your dad has the house hooked up with solar panels! Charging the car with solar?! nice! Out of curiosity, do you know how long it takes to charge that thing up from dead to full?
About 5 hours.

I forgot to mention that he got a $7,500 federal tax credit. And a $2,500 straight cash rebate from the state of California.

Additionally, the charging fixture costs $2,600 for equipment and installation. He got the super expensive touchscreen one that gets automatic updates via wireless internet. But LADWP got a DOE subsidy and gave my dad a $2k cash rebate.

Not too shabby.
Old 10-26-11, 02:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool beans!

I'm starting to see more Volt and "Leaves" driving around L.A.
Old 10-26-11, 02:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
About 5 hours.

I forgot to mention that he got a $7,500 federal tax credit. And a $2,500 straight cash rebate from the state of California.

Additionally, the charging fixture costs $2,600 for equipment and installation. He got the super expensive touchscreen one that gets automatic updates via wireless internet. But LADWP got a DOE subsidy and gave my dad a $2k cash rebate.

Not too shabby.
So if i'm calculating correctly....the charging fixture cost a net of $600 and the car was closer to $25k with the total $10k savings?

Very nice
Old 10-26-11, 04:00 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

The leaf looks pretty good on the road (especially in black).

Here in the San Diego area I've actually seen a handful of charging stations popping up at employers.
Old 10-26-11, 04:21 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

So if i'm calculating correctly....the charging fixture cost a net of $600 and the car was closer to $25k with the total $10k savings?

Very nice
Spot on.
Old 10-26-11, 05:13 PM
RXSF

I am pretty much convinced the electric car will be the future. I mean when we have Tesla coming out with 200+ miles of range on their vehicles, and charging stations starting to pop up at parking garages, it will be a short time when we can solve the energy crisis. Add solar panels into the equation and it just makes sense. Not more than 15 years ago, we didnt even have hybrids, and I am guessing in another 15 years, most people will be driving EVs
Old 10-26-11, 05:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I am pretty much convinced the electric car will be the future. I mean when we have Tesla coming out with 200+ miles of range on their vehicles, and charging stations starting to pop up at parking garages, it will be a short time when we can solve the energy crisis. Add solar panels into the equation and it just makes sense. Not more than 15 years ago, we didnt even have hybrids, and I am guessing in another 15 years, most people will be driving EVs
x2 on this. I have a feeling we are moving the same way too. But i'm wondering how much power the electric companies can actually provide. Assuming not everyone uses solar panels to charge their cars, that's a huge increase in energy....which is probably going to require more advanced ways to deliver all that electricity. And no doubt the electric companies will bump up prices and profit while the gas companies lose out
Old 10-26-11, 05:27 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Congrats to your pops!
Old 10-26-11, 06:38 PM
RXSF

x2 on this. I have a feeling we are moving the same way too. But i'm wondering how much power the electric companies can actually provide. Assuming not everyone uses solar panels to charge their cars, that's a huge increase in energy....which is probably going to require more advanced ways to deliver all that electricity. And no doubt the electric companies will bump up prices and profit while the gas companies lose out
true. The saving grace is that not everyone will be driving electric tomorrow, so the electric companies have time to put up more infrastructure. You and I are lucky to be in CA where by 2020, 40% of PGE electricity will be made from solar.
Old 10-27-11, 11:33 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

that's awesome! when I or if I stay in Az and get a house I want to outfit it with solar panels. however I won't be in the marker for an ev until the range is over 200 miles
Old 10-27-11, 02:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

pretty cool car. I am impressed with the rebates. Its totally worth it.

Quick Reply: Nissan Leaf EV