Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I've got an Android head unit in my E46, and it is indeed awesome. Doggcatcher, Pandora, Amazon MP3 and Google Nav, right in the dash? What's not to love?
it has an internet connection?
Old 08-17-12, 03:22 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
perhaps it tethers on your cell phone smartphone data connection.
Old 08-17-12, 03:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

should work the same as Enform when it comes to internet... picks it up from your smartphone.

Otherwise, there is no way that adding a screen to new cars will ever look good... not only that, but iPad requires you to take your eyes off road significantly more than normal nav and a lot more than raised nav.

Enform and similar MirrorLink technologies that link apps from your cell phone to the screen are the wave of the future.
Old 08-17-12, 04:15 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
should work the same as Enform when it comes to internet... picks it up from your smartphone.

Otherwise, there is no way that adding a screen to new cars will ever look good... not only that, but iPad requires you to take your eyes off road significantly more than normal nav and a lot more than raised nav.

Enform and similar MirrorLink technologies that link apps from your cell phone to the screen are the wave of the future.
i think this looks good and it was all conceived and created in just one day -

imagine what Lexus could do given all of their vast resources?

why not have a factory accessory option for a "Removable Lexus Tablet" dock with built in power supply which wirelessly tethers to your smartphone for a data connection and integrates and controls your entire vehicle (Audio, AC, Heat, Locks, etc.) with Lexus add-on software?

the only obstacle i can think of would be Lexus attorneys afraid of crashes and lawsuits - justified or not.
Old 08-17-12, 07:27 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At a recent Detroit automotive IVI conference I was surprised to see that VNC had a sizeable presence.

See for yourself in this PDF.
Old 04-22-13, 07:04 PM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Consumer Reports has in the past praised Lexus for its user friendly controls.
Not any more!
The latest Lexuses are slammed for their fussy, difficult controls, specifically the mouse like controller.
In fact, the LS dropped from 99 points to 92, and is no longer the top rated car in the USA!

Just as technology has embraced touch screens in iPads, iPhones, Samsung Galaxy and all the rest, Lexus leaps back to 1980s tech! what a shame!!
Old 04-22-13, 08:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by glenneagle
Consumer Reports has in the past praised Lexus for its user friendly controls.
Not any more!
The latest Lexuses are slammed for their fussy, difficult controls, specifically the mouse like controller.
In fact, the LS dropped from 99 points to 92, and is no longer the top rated car in the USA!

Just as technology has embraced touch screens in iPads, iPhones, Samsung Galaxy and all the rest, Lexus leaps back to 1980s tech! what a shame!!
Well if you want to make a statement like that then you have to include BMW and iDrive, Audi and MMI, Mercedes and COMAND... None of those are touchscreen either. The Luxury segment dictates the interface, while the mainstream is just now picking up touch screens. In 10 years time the mainstream will pick up a mouse/**** like interface and the Luxury automakers will have moved on
Old 04-22-13, 09:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well if you want to make a statement like that then you have to include BMW and iDrive, Audi and MMI, Mercedes and COMAND... None of those are touchscreen either. The Luxury segment dictates the interface, while the mainstream is just now picking up touch screens. In 10 years time the mainstream will pick up a mouse/**** like interface and the Luxury automakers will have moved on
I'm curious to see if that's the case. Bentley's Continental seems to be the lone true luxury car with a touch screen.
Old 04-22-13, 10:42 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I like BOTH but i still think touch is easier, of course everyone agrees that touch is easiest. My point is why not both?? I had several Infiniti's that had both the touch and a scroll/button ****. My GF has a BMW with newer I-Drive system and though IMO (For now) the I-Drive is easier than the New Remote Touch to me. I also have a GS430 (2nd Gen with NAV) though not advanced like the others but its super easy and fast to navigate.

I drive the BMW w/ I-Drive almost every night, My GS430 is my daily, I owned several Infiniti G35's and from what I experienced. The Infiniti is by far the friendliest to work since it has both. Some things are better to touch, and some things a better to use a ****. Though, my position is BOTH, I do like the Concept of the Remote Touch, I don't have access to a car with Remote touch but from me going on a few test drives and visiting the Lexus showroom, I "Hope" that my Opinion will change once I learn how to actually use it (LOL ), but for now based on my own personal experience I Ranked each type based on Friendliest to the user --> (Just get in and Drive w/ no learning curve)

My Rankings

#1. Infiniti System (both Touch and **** with hard buttons)
#2. My Lexus GS430 (Touch and some hard buttons)
#3. BMW newest I-Drive (Mostly **** and like 4 buttons)
#4. New Remote touch (Mouse only with 3 buttons)

Pic of Infiniti's System (Below) -- #1

Pic of 2nd Gen GS Layout -- #2

Pic of BMW I-drive -- #3

Pic of 4th Gen GS (Remote touch) -- #4

Old 04-23-13, 05:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Whoah, totally missed this question. It has wifi, and I used a mifi with it.

Since then, I sold the E46, bought an E90 without nav and installed an iPad Mini LTE in it. Just about my favorite thing ever.
Old 04-23-13, 05:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm curious to see if that's the case. Bentley's Continental seems to be the lone true luxury car with a touch screen.
Tesla for the win....

Last edited by bagwell; 04-23-13 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-23-13, 05:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Ugh I can't stand the Tesla's interior. I like the fact that you can move things around and the display itself is nice, but it's integration in the interior is awful. Furthermore, an all-touch screen cluster is my nightmare. There is no replacement for physical ***** or switches for radio-tuning and slight ac adjustments that don't require you to take your eyes off the road. The infiniti Q50 has the right blend for me if you're going down the touchscreen route.

Old 04-23-13, 05:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

so to look to change A/C controls, you basically wont see a bit of road anymore because you eyes will be looking at passenger foot-well.
Old 04-23-13, 05:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

so to look to change A/C controls, you basically wont see a bit of road anymore because you eyes will be looking at passenger foot-well.
The Lexus mouse is so sensitive and hard to hit the icon you want when maneuvering that causes your eyes to be off the road as long or longer.
The 12.3" screen does look great,though.
Old 04-23-13, 06:10 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Lexus mouse is so sensitive and hard to hit the icon you want when maneuvering that causes your eyes to be off the road as long or longer.
The 12.3" screen does look great,though.
I don't have this problem at all in my 2013 RX450h and am very happy with the controller -- I do wish I had the wider display the GS has! ...but I also changed the sensitivity so that it snaps to the closest icon faster and is not so "loose" that the controller has by default. Both PCs and Macs can change sensitivity of their mice so that it flies all over the place or is more settled down and precise with a simple setting of the mouse controls. Similar thing with my RX, and I suspect other Lexus.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO